Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Thomas Neumann

Default Disabling autoload of wlan module?

hiya

(Short version: How do I disable the autoloading of ipw2200 without

crippling my system?)

Okay, I have a nice little netenv setup on my laptop which lets me
choose between a dhcp-, a wlan-, a static network configuration and

none at all. The latter one is specifically for working outdoor.

In a quest to reduce power consumption I am trying to disable the

(Calling `modprobe ipw2200` at the appropriate place)

Things that didn't work at all:

´---------------------------------------------
| skip ipw2200
`-- /etc/discover.d/powersave

´---------------------------------------------
| ipw2200
`-- /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/powersave

´---------------------------------------------
| blacklist ipw2200
`-- /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

´---------------------------------------------
| alias ipw2200 off
`-- /etc/modutils/local-powersave

(The last one is quite stupid, but was worth a try.)

The reason as far as I understood is that the module is not called as
part of an alias defined under /etc/modules, but via an auto-generated
pci-alias defined in /lib/modules/<kvers>/modules.alias.

But maybe that's a wrong asumption, since
´---------------------------------------------
| alias pci:.... off
`-- /etc/modutils/local-powersave
accompanied by /etc/discover.d/powersave didn't do anything either.
(Compared the wildcard from /lib/modules/<kver>/modules/alias with
the data from /sys/bus/pci/.../uevent to find the appropriate alias
to disable.)

Things that did work:
´---------------------------------------------
| install ipw2200 /bin/true
`-- /etc/modutils/local-powersave

Too well. Well the module wasn't autoloaded, but manual loading isn't
possible either. Obviously.

I'm looking for a nice and clean way to disable autoloading. Just
autoloading. I do not want to remove the module from the kernel tree
because I need it from time to time. I do not like to do an rmmod,
because that feels like a kludge.

So - how do you guy do this? How to propery load/not load modules
based (loosely) on your environment?

SystemFacts:
- Kernel 2.6.24 & 2.6.25, custom config
- Debian Etch
- udev, discover (unmodified)
- netenv, dhcp3-client, wpa_supplicant (unmodified)

thomas

Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 02:44:15 +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> hiya
>
> (Short version: How do I disable the autoloading of ipw2200 without
>
> crippling my system?)
>

> Okay, I have a nice little netenv setup on my laptop which lets me
> choose between a dhcp-, a wlan-, a static network configuration and
> none at all. The latter one is specifically for working outdoor.
>
> In a quest to reduce power consumption I am trying to disable the
> (Calling `modprobe ipw2200` at the appropriate place)
>

> Things that didn't work at all:

[...]

> Things that did work:
> ´---------------------------------------------
> | install ipw2200 /bin/true
> `-- /etc/modutils/local-powersave
>
> Too well. Well the module wasn't autoloaded, but manual loading isn't
> possible either. Obviously.

I think that

modprobe --ignore-install ipw2200

should work to load the module manually. Maybe that is an acceptable
workaround, in combination with keeping the "... /bin/true" directive in
the configuration file.

> I'm looking for a nice and clean way to disable autoloading. Just
> autoloading. I do not want to remove the module from the kernel tree
> because I need it from time to time. I do not like to do an rmmod,
> because that feels like a kludge.
>

> So - how do you guy do this? How to propery load/not load modules
> based (loosely) on your environment?
>

> SystemFacts: - Kernel 2.6.24 & 2.6.25, custom config - Debian Etch -
> udev, discover (unmodified) - netenv, dhcp3-client, wpa_supplicant
> (unmodified)

Florian |

Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Thomas Neumann

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 02:44:15 +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:

Things that did work:
´---------------------------------------------
| install ipw2200 /bin/true
`-- /etc/modutils/local-powersave

Too well. Well the module wasn't autoloaded, but manual loading isn't
possible either. Obviously.

I think that

modprobe --ignore-install ipw2200

should work to load the module manually. Maybe that is an acceptable
workaround, in combination with keeping the "... /bin/true" directive in
the configuration file.

I'm looking for a nice and clean way to disable autoloading. Just
autoloading. I do not want to remove the module from the kernel tree
because I need it from time to time. I do not like to do an rmmod,
because that feels like a kludge.

I've settled for the kludge. (rmmod) But I rewrote it a bit. When
requesting a different network configuration the script checks now
whether the module was previously loaded, and either loads or unloads it
appropriately. This way I can change from a network to a mobile
configuration and back and the wlan module is always in the right state.

tschüß
thomas