Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Matt Rose

Default odd error.

As part of an anaconda install, I'm running jetty, and feeding data into a postgresql database through jetty using another java program.* (Don't ask why we're doing this.* That way lies madness)* This command works fine outside of anaconda, but when I try it as part of the CD installation using anaconda, Java crashes with sig11 on the same malloc and memset call each time.

>From my rudimentary C programming, a signal 11 is caused by reading unassigned RAM, or RAM that's somehow faulty.* Given that this problem seems to only occur in anaconda, what in anaconda could be causing java to try to access this memory address that causes it to crash?

If it helps, I'm using anaconda-11.2.87

Stack: [0x90538000,0x905b9000],* sp=0x905b6d54,* free space=507k

Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)

C* [libc.so.6+0x6e077]* memset+0x37

C* [libc.so.6+0x6812e]* __libc_malloc+0x7e

V* [libjvm.so+0x4f7c4a]

V* [libjvm.so+0x198705]

V* [libjvm.so+0x198c26]

V* [libjvm.so+0x344492]

V* [libjvm.so+0x255f58]

V* [libjvm.so+0x2a29ad]

V* [libjvm.so+0x29f830]

V* [libjvm.so+0x247149]

V* [libjvm.so+0x2a6d1a]

V* [libjvm.so+0x2a6726]

V* [libjvm.so+0x5b5d7d]

V* [libjvm.so+0x4fde19]

C* [libpthread.so.0+0x543b]

--

Matt Rose <mrose@n-able.com>

Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Matt Rose

I forgot to ask, does the list take attachments?* I can attach a few java crash dumps if anyone wants to see them.

--

Matt Rose <mrose@n-able.com>

Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
David Cantrell

As part of an anaconda install, I'm running jetty, and feeding data
into a postgresql database through jetty using another java
program. (Don't ask why we're doing this. That way lies madness)
This command works fine outside of anaconda, but when I try it as
part of the CD installation using anaconda, Java crashes with sig11
on the same malloc and memset call each time.

*blink*

_What_ are you doing again?

>From my rudimentary C programming, a signal 11 is caused by reading
unassigned RAM, or RAM that's somehow faulty. Given that this
problem seems to only occur in anaconda, what in anaconda could be
causing java to try to access this memory address that causes it to
crash?

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

If it helps, I'm using anaconda-11.2.87

We never released a version 11.2.87. Are you sure it came from us?

Stack: [0x90538000,0x905b9000], sp=0x905b6d54, free space=507k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code,
C=native code)

C [libc.so.6+0x6e077] memset+0x37
C [libc.so.6+0x6812e] __libc_malloc+0x7e
V [libjvm.so+0x4f7c4a]
V [libjvm.so+0x198705]
V [libjvm.so+0x198c26]
V [libjvm.so+0x344492]
V [libjvm.so+0x255f58]
V [libjvm.so+0x2a29ad]
V [libjvm.so+0x29f830]
V [libjvm.so+0x247149]
V [libjvm.so+0x2a6d1a]
V [libjvm.so+0x2a6726]
V [libjvm.so+0x5b5d7d]
V [libjvm.so+0x4fde19]
C [libpthread.so.0+0x543b]

I can speak for myself and possibly the rest of the team: I have no
Java knowledge. Java to me is sort of like Agent Smith combined with
a velociraptor. Sure, it has great diction and professional looking
clothes, but what it really wants to do is rip open your belly and
watch your insides spill out on to the floor.

There are far too many variables in this problem to even suggest at
what could be going wrong. This isn't really a support list, this is
the development discussion list. If you are modifying anaconda for
another product, we can usually answer questions about what this file
does, what that class does, and so on. Sometimes we do, sometimes we
don't. It really depends on the mood of the reader, the alignment of
the planets, and other such factors.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Matt Rose

see inline comments.* Thanks for the response, it made me laugh at least.

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 08:12 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:

On May 22, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Matt Rose wrote:

> As part of an anaconda install, I'm running jetty, and feeding data
> into a postgresql database through jetty using another java
> program. (Don't ask why we're doing this. That way lies madness)
> This command works fine outside of anaconda, but when I try it as
> part of the CD installation using anaconda, Java crashes with sig11
> on the same malloc and memset call each time.

*blink*

_What_ are you doing again?

Yeah, as I said, don't ask.* Basically we're loading xml data into a postgresql database, using java and jdbc.* I keep telling people that it's way outside of the design of anaconda, but, as the buggy whip maker said to candlestick maker, "It used to work"

> >From my rudimentary C programming, a signal 11 is caused by reading
> unassigned RAM, or RAM that's somehow faulty. Given that this
> problem seems to only occur in anaconda, what in anaconda could be
> causing java to try to access this memory address that causes it to
> crash?

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Oddly enough, that's one of the pages I was reading just before I sent this email.* That deals with random sig11 errors, usually caused by weird hardware.* It's a page I use as a pointer tool all the time.*

The interesting part of this error message is that it's always the same malloc call that fails.* I would normally chalk it up to java, but this same java code runs fine outside of anaconda.* I might try and come up with a pure C reproduction case, but it seems easier to work around the problem.

> If it helps, I'm using anaconda-11.2.87

We never released a version 11.2.87. Are you sure it came from us?

Sorry, real version is anaconda-11.1.2.87, actually, the CentOS version, to which I have to submit a patch because I've put a few fixes in there.* Most of which have been superseded by the patches you put to the list a few months ago.

> Stack: [0x90538000,0x905b9000], sp=0x905b6d54, free space=507k
> Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code,
> C=native code)
> C [libc.so.6+0x6e077] memset+0x37
> C [libc.so.6+0x6812e] __libc_malloc+0x7e
> V [libjvm.so+0x4f7c4a]
> V [libjvm.so+0x198705]
> V [libjvm.so+0x198c26]
> V [libjvm.so+0x344492]
> V [libjvm.so+0x255f58]
> V [libjvm.so+0x2a29ad]
> V [libjvm.so+0x29f830]
> V [libjvm.so+0x247149]
> V [libjvm.so+0x2a6d1a]
> V [libjvm.so+0x2a6726]
> V [libjvm.so+0x5b5d7d]
> V [libjvm.so+0x4fde19]
> C [libpthread.so.0+0x543b]

I can speak for myself and possibly the rest of the team: I have no
Java knowledge. Java to me is sort of like Agent Smith combined with
a velociraptor. Sure, it has great diction and professional looking
clothes, but what it really wants to do is rip open your belly and
watch your insides spill out on to the floor.

I hear you.* I have some java knowledge, but I'm the python/perl/shell/rpm/ruby/C guy at a company that mainly uses Java, and C#.

There are far too many variables in this problem to even suggest at
what could be going wrong. This isn't really a support list, this is
the development discussion list. If you are modifying anaconda for
another product, we can usually answer questions about what this file
does, what that class does, and so on. Sometimes we do, sometimes we
don't. It really depends on the mood of the reader, the alignment of
the planets, and other such factors.

I wasn't really expecting that much help, other than, maybe it was a known bug that was fixed in version x.* I have a long painful workaround to implement now, I guess.

Thanks again for your time.* Maybe somebody else on the list has some ideas...

Matt

Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 AM
John Summerfield

Matt Rose wrote:

> [...]

I hear you. I have some java knowledge, but I'm the
python/perl/shell/rpm/ruby/C guy at a company that mainly uses Java, and
C#.

There are far too many variables in this problem to even suggest at
what could be going wrong. This isn't really a support list, this is
the development discussion list. If you are modifying anaconda for
another product, we can usually answer questions about what this file
does, what that class does, and so on. Sometimes we do, sometimes we
don't. It really depends on the mood of the reader, the alignment of
the planets, and other such factors.

I wasn't really expecting that much help, other than, maybe it was a
known bug that was fixed in version x. I have a long painful workaround
to implement now, I guess.

Thanks again for your time. Maybe somebody else on the list has some

You might find the CentOS dev list more receptive:-)

sig11 generally means a duff pointer. There might be something about
memory allocation in the Anaconda environment that makes a difference
that triggers an application bug.

In this context, an application bug would comprise the Java vm and
libraries itself, not whatever's written in Java - Java code should not
crash the Java vm.

--

Cheers
John