Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Eric S Fraga

Default [SOLVED] dual head support for Dell Latitude D630

At Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:36:17 +0000, I wrote:
> I've been trying to get my Dell Latitude D630 with an Intel graphics
> controller to display on an external monitor. I did manage to get it
> to display the same as on the laptop but am told I can have the
> external monitor display a separate desktop to the one visible on the
> laptop (either with or without xinerama support is fine with me).

Just to let you all know that I have solved this problem. After a lot
of web searching (and I mean A LOT) over the weekend, I discovered
that the i810 and vesa drivers available in Debian stable simply do
not provide dual head support for the i945 graphics processor. In
fact, the i810 driver just doesn't work on this graphics processor.

The solution was to switch to Debian testing (lenny), something which
I had hoped to avoid as all my other systems run stable and will
remain as such (they are production systems). Running two different
versions of the OS is not an issue but having all the tools I use
day-in day-out be at different stages in their evolution can sometimes
be frustrating. However, more frustrating is not being able to use the
system I have to its full capability!

In lenny, there is a new 'intel' driver for Xorg which works perfectly
out of the box, even not requiring use of the 915resolution. In
combination with xinerama and xrandr, I have everything I need (and
more!). Very impressive actually!

Thanks to all who may have pondered possible solutions to my problem!

cheers,
eric