Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Rafael Varela Pet

Default blackberry support (was Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458)

Hi,

El lun, 21-04-2008 a las 15:02 -0400, Carl Fink escribió:

> Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear
> there's
> support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't
> even
> researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it
> would
> be appreciated.

As far as I know, part of the modem functionality is provided by
Desktop Manager (a Windows-only desktop application), so unless somebody
manages to port it to Linux we won't be able to use a Blackberry as a
tethered modem.

Maybe you heard about Barry, a project that provides support for
Blackberry in Linux, but it's initial goal was to provide
backup/restore/syncing functionality. I don't know about the status of
the modem support:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry

XmBlackberry seems to be focused on the modem support and maybe it's
what you are looking for:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmblackberry

There are people reporting success using *both* projects simultaneously:

http://wiki.colar.net/tethering_with_blackberry_pearl_on_linux

Rafael Varela Pet
Area de Tecnoloxías da Información e Comunicacións

Universidade de Santiago de Compostela
15782 Santiago de Compostela
http://www.usc.es/atic

Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Nate Duehr

Rafael Varela Pet wrote:

Hi,

Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear
there's
support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't
even
researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it
would
be appreciated.

As far as I know, part of the modem functionality is provided by
Desktop Manager (a Windows-only desktop application), so unless somebody
manages to port it to Linux we won't be able to use a Blackberry as a
tethered modem.

Depends on how you tether. MacOSX works fine with Bluetooth tethering
to my Pearl with no special software. Thus, whatever they've done
should be able to be done on Linux.

Tethering via USB is more problematic, at least that's my understanding
of it anyway. For Blackberry products.

Nate