FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Laptop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Carl Fink
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
(DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
aren't working.

One, I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
with the Windows driver.

Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear there's
support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't even
researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it would
be appreciated.

Thank you.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Franklin PIAT
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

Hello,

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:02 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
> (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
> aren't working.
>
> I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
> even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
> with the Windows driver.

This page should help : http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

If you still have problems with it, try to be more descriptive about your actual problem (situation, error messages ...)

Hope this helps,

Franklin


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Gabriele Pongelli
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

Hi !

> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:02:09 -0400
> From: carlf@panix.com
> Subject: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458
>
> I'm attempting to get Debian Testing up and running on my Pavilion DV6100
> (DV6458). The installation was pretty easy, but there are two things that
> aren't working.

i've a pavilion DV6270EU, i hope i can help you ;-)


> One, I can't get the kernel to recognize my Broadcom BCM4328 WiFi chipset,
> even though it's theoretically supported. Nor can I get ndiswrapper to work
> with the Windows driver.

i've linked on linuxonlaptop my installation [1] but it's in italian...
i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
you've to execute these commands, briefly:
# m-a prepare
# m-a a-i ndiswrapper
# depmod -a
# modprobe ndiswrapper
# unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
# cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
# ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

done!


> Two, I use my RIM BlackBerry Curve as a tethered modem. I hear there's
> support for this in Linux these days. This one, I confess, I haven't even
> researched, but if anyone just happens to have a pointer to a HOWTO it would
> be appreciated.

for this problem i can't help you.


> Thank you.

of nothing.


[1] http://www.freemodding.it/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=89058#forumpost89058
[2] http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R151517.EXE

Windows Live Mobile Da oggi la posta di Hotmail la controlli anche dal tuo cellulare!
 
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Carl Fink
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

Long delay, but I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Over the last
couple of days I've made some progress.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:36PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:

> i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
> if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
> you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
> you've to execute these commands, briefly:
> # m-a prepare
> # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
> # depmod -a
> # modprobe ndiswrapper
> # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
> # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
> # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

Thanks. I do not have that hardware, I have the 4328. Unfortunately, this
chip is explicitly NOT supported by the b43 driver, so I had to go with
ndiswrapper. (I'd prefer Free software end-to-end, but I'd also like to use
my computer.)

I followed the steps above, and ndiswrapper reports success.

NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:130 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:B49A-A3D8-FD55-C799-1E7A-D5D6-2B Security mode:restricted
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

However:

NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# dhclient wlan0
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 4340
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.0
Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:67:9c:08
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:73:67:9c:08
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?

Honestly, I did read the Wireless-HOWTO and search the Debian Wiki among
other places, but I have no idea what I'm missing. I will as before
appreciate any help--I really do appreciate it, Gabriele.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 AM
"JD. Brown"
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
> Long delay, but I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Over the last
> couple of days I've made some progress.
>
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:36PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:
>
> > i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
> > if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
> > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
> > you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
> > you've to execute these commands, briefly:
> > # m-a prepare
> > # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
> > # depmod -a
> > # modprobe ndiswrapper
> > # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
> > # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
> > # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
>
> So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
>
> Honestly, I did read the Wireless-HOWTO and search the Debian Wiki among
> other places, but I have no idea what I'm missing. I will as before
> appreciate any help--I really do appreciate it, Gabriele.
> --
> Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>

Carl,

You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.

Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.

This card is being worked over at:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#unsupported

For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
us know.


Regards,

--
JD. Brown

Linux User # 375995 - http://counter.li.org/

Debian - http://www.debian.org/intro/about


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Carl Fink
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 04:13:19AM -0600, JD. Brown wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:

> You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
> BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
> far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
> drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.

I removed /lib/firmware/*

> Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
> to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
> sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.

They were already blacklisted.

No dice.

> This card is being worked over at:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#unsupported
>
> For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
> lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
> us know.

Do you supposed the b43 developers need a beta tester?

The frustrating thing is, I could buy a USB WiFi device for $20 and it would
work. I'm refusing out of what amounts to sheer stubbornness.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Carl Fink
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

I believe I have been doing something stupid.

I just noticed (or thought about, really) looking at the Grub menu, that I'm
using the AMD64 kernel. Will ndiswrapper work right with 64-bit Linux and
what I'm betting is a 32-bit driver? Can I solve this by downloading a
64-bit Broadcom Windows driver (if such a thing exists) or must I revert to
the generic x86 kernel at 32 bits?
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 PM
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

Carl,

I struggled with an HP6000 for a long time. By accident I learned that the wireless hotkey was really flakey. The blue LED was on permanently even wireless was off. Someone else wrote that their blue light never turned on. Sometimes, I need to push the wireless hot key for several seconds before it takes.

FYI, in case your HP is similar.

David

-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com>
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 04:13:19AM -0600, JD. Brown wrote:
> > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
> > BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
> > far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
> > drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.
>
> I removed /lib/firmware/*
>
> > Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
> > to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
> > sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.
>
> They were already blacklisted.
>
> No dice.
>
> > This card is being worked over at:
> >
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#unsupported
> >
> > For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
> > lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
> > us know.
>
> Do you supposed the b43 developers need a beta tester?
>
> The frustrating thing is, I could buy a USB WiFi device for $20 and it would
> work. I'm refusing out of what amounts to sheer stubbornness.
> --
> Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Carl Fink
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

I wrote:

> > The frustrating thing is, I could buy a USB WiFi device for $20 and it would
> > work. I'm refusing out of what amounts to sheer stubbornness.

It turns out, though, that I *will* buy a USB WiFi device for $7 and use it.
Trendnet TEW 424UB, which in my case contains a Realtek 8189. (They have
used other chips at other times.) Johnny Cuervo has an unofficial but
effective driver for it, and a Mr. Leung has sent in a patch to update that
driver for 2.6.24. It works.

If anyone else has a Realtek 8187-9, the driver is here:

http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/rtl8187b/

So I have to carry another stupid USB device everywhere, but the cost was
minimal. Maybe someday b43 will support the built-in WiFi.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Gabriele Pongelli
 
Default Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

> Thanks. I do not have that hardware, I have the 4328. Unfortunately, this
> chip is explicitly NOT supported by the b43 driver, so I had to go with
> ndiswrapper. (I'd prefer Free software end-to-end, but I'd also like to use
> my computer.)
if b43 driver doesn't support your hardware why are you trying to use it :-D ?
maybe the right way is using ndiswrapper (like me) ;-)


> NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# iwconfig
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
> Bit Rate:130 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
> RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
> Encryption key:B49A-A3D8-FD55-C799-1E7A-D5D6-2B Security mode:restricted
> Power Managementff
> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
> Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
> Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
> However:
>
> NitpickingHP2:/home/carlf# dhclient wlan0
> ----cut---
> No DHCPOFFERS received.
> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
have you tried to set up essid before doing dchlient?
maybe you don't receive DHCPOFFERS because your hardware doesn't find any net that match with essid off/any ...
so, set your correct essid and then make dhclient...

if you can't solve you problem try to set up all manually with iwconfig, ifconfig and route (check its man's page for all trouble to how use them)...

Regards.



Windows Live Messenger Non frenare la tua voglia di comunicare, prova Messenger!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org