-   -   console login : number of access failures (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/7186-console-login-number-access-failures.html)

daniele pendenza 11-28-2007 09:33 AM

console login : number of access failures

Hi list,

1- by default on our Debian system after a successful login through a
tty we are presented with the number of failures (unsuccesful logins)
that took place before using the same login name.For a non root user
this number is correct.

But what about the root user ? That number is correct unless none tried
to do "su logins" (login using the command su).
Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and
then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took
place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-)
Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that
command can be useful.

2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the
screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user
the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the
root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

thank you for your attention, I appreciate suggestions and opinions ;)

saluti,

daniele

"Paulo Gomes" 11-28-2007 10:56 AM

console login : number of access failures

This is surely interesting, but not laptop-specific. I'd suggest
posting it also in the debian-user list and/or the General Discussion
forum.

Cumprimentos,

Paulo

daniele pendenza 11-28-2007 12:18 PM

console login : number of access failures

Hi lists,

1- by default on our Debian system after a successful login through a
tty we are presented with the number of failures (unsuccesful logins)
that took place before using the same login name.For a non root user
this number is correct.

But what about the root user ? That number is "correct" unless no one
tried to do "su logins" (login using the command su).
Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and
then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took
place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-)
Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that
command can be useful.

2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the
screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user
the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the
root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

thank you for your attention, I appreciate suggestions and opinions ;)

saluti,

daniele

p.s. copy of this message has been sent also to debian-laptop list

Raj Kiran Grandhi 11-28-2007 01:46 PM

console login : number of access failures

daniele pendenza wrote:

Hi lists,

But what about the root user ? That number is "correct" unless no one
tried to do "su logins" (login using the command su).
Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and
then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took
place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-)
Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that
command can be useful.

If you have root access or belong in the 'adm' group, you can peek into
the /var/log/auth.log which contains all the attempts made to get into
the system (both successful and failed)

2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the
screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user
the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the
root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

Check out the files .bash_logout in the respective home directories

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

"Douglas A. Tutty" 11-28-2007 02:38 PM

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:18:23PM +0100, daniele pendenza wrote:
> 1- by default on our Debian system after a successful login through a
> tty we are presented with the number of failures (unsuccesful logins)
> that took place before using the same login name.For a non root user
> this number is correct.
>
> But what about the root user ? That number is "correct" unless no one
> tried to do "su logins" (login using the command su).
> Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and
> then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took
> place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-)
> Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that
> command can be useful.

I have pam set up so that only members of group adm can do su. I also
have my logchecker email me auth failures. Since root should never log
in directly (except at single-user), root wouldn't normally see such
login notices anyway.

> 2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the
> screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user
> the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the
> root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

So look in the user's .bash_logout and put the appropriate entry in
root's .bash_logout.

Doug.