Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Richard Hector

Default managing networks on laptop

Hi all,

Currently I'm using Network Manager on my laptop, which mostly works
except when I want to ssh in from my desktop, and I'm not logged in on
my laptop. Under those circumstances, the network isn't up.

What I really want (I think) is for my laptop to connect to known
networks, either by wired or wireless, when it finds them, but allow me
to connect (probably with a gui) to other networks manually when they're
available. I also need to be able to connect manually to an OpenVPN VPN
from time to time.

Additionally, where wired and wireless networks are both available, and
are the same, I'd like them to get the same IP address. (Addresses, in
fact - at some point I should get IPv6 running too ...) I've seen
suggestions to use bonding to achieve this, but I'm not sure how that
works when wired and wireless are not always the same network.

Are there standard tools that will let me do these things?

I think Network Manager might not handle it. Whereami might, but I think
it's been unmaintained for a while now.

Any tips appreciated :-)

Richard

Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2013 27 Dec 02:03 -0600, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently I'm using Network Manager on my laptop, which mostly works
> except when I want to ssh in from my desktop, and I'm not logged in on
> my laptop. Under those circumstances, the network isn't up.
>
> What I really want (I think) is for my laptop to connect to known
> networks, either by wired or wireless, when it finds them, but allow me
> to connect (probably with a gui) to other networks manually when they're
> available. I also need to be able to connect manually to an OpenVPN VPN
> from time to time.

I find that WiCD will open the network interface before logging into the
GUI if it can associate with an AP that is set for automatic connection.
Likewise with the wired interface.

> Additionally, where wired and wireless networks are both available, and
> are the same, I'd like them to get the same IP address. (Addresses, in
> fact - at some point I should get IPv6 running too ...) I've seen
> suggestions to use bonding to achieve this, but I'm not sure how that
> works when wired and wireless are not always the same network.

As I understand it, that will be a task for your DHCP server, if you use
that, otherwise WiCD can be configured for assigning static addresses.

> Are there standard tools that will let me do these things?

Probably. I prefer to deal with WiCD, however.

> I think Network Manager might not handle it. Whereami might, but I think
> it's been unmaintained for a while now.

NM tries to be too clever, IMO, and thus resists efforts to control it.

- Nate

Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Richard Hector, 27.12.2013:

> Currently I'm using Network Manager on my laptop, which mostly works
> except when I want to ssh in from my desktop, and I'm not logged in on
> my laptop. Under those circumstances, the network isn't up.
>
> What I really want (I think) is for my laptop to connect to known
> networks, either by wired or wireless, when it finds them, but allow me
> to connect (probably with a gui) to other networks manually when they're
> available. I also need to be able to connect manually to an OpenVPN VPN
> from time to time.
>
> Additionally, where wired and wireless networks are both available, and
> are the same, I'd like them to get the same IP address. (Addresses, in
> fact - at some point I should get IPv6 running too ...) I've seen
> suggestions to use bonding to achieve this, but I'm not sure how that
> works when wired and wireless are not always the same network.
>
> Are there standard tools that will let me do these things?
>
> I think Network Manager might not handle it. Whereami might, but I think
> it's been unmaintained for a while now.
>
> Any tips appreciated :-)

In the Network Manager applet, if you go into the settings for a wireless
network, there's a check box at the bottom that says "usable by all users"
or something like that. If that's checked, I think I still have to log in once
to establish the wireless connection but the connection stays active after
I log out. (And if the wireless network has "connect automatically" checked,
I don't need to manually connect after I log in.) I think this is part of
the solution you're looking for.

If you want the laptop to connect without logging in at all, there's probably
a way but I don't know offhand. (I occasionally start networks without logging
into the gui, using nmcli, but that still requires me to use the console.)

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Daniel Landau

[...]

I'm pretty sure that NetworkManager connects to my wireless network
automatically even before login. I guess it could depend on what starts
it (i.e., on login or by an init system). I start it with systemd on
system startup.

Daniel Landau