Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM
zeref

Default Debian and Windows

Hi, I have used for many years, Microsoft's system, but because of what time of slower activity (requirements are increasing, and a laptop is getting old) I decided to resigned from their services. I have uploaded the Debian which apparently passes for a system operating efficiently, quickly and reliably, and in fact this is literally some works 3x faster than Windows
My version is 7.2 stable. How long can I expect to work before the system starts to "pour"? Is such a thing even has a place here? Under windows often had errors and bluescreen. I use the internet, sometimes I'll play a little game.
Does the system need antivirus? Do not get any messages to do so and protect your computer, just as it was in Windows. So far looks sensational and as much as I can not understand why people are using Windows, they switch to Debian that works soooo fast.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 PM
William Ivanski

Good time of the day, Zeref,

About Debian being faster than Windows.

As an operating system, Debian (which is a distribution of
Linux) is faster than Windows because of the way Linux kernel is
designed. Things such as memory management, process scheduling,
file system and permissions are better designed in Linux than in
Windows.

However, certain applications (specially games) can run faster in
Windows, because the drivers in Windows can be better if the
manufacturer of those drivers develop them only for Windows. In
such cases, in Linux we need to use generic drivers, or drivers
that are written/modified by the community, thanks to open source
philosophy.

Another reason Linux is faster, and requires less hard disk space,
is because of the APT system. It installs your software based on
dependency, so it installs a requires library, for example, only
ONCE, instead of many times the same library, which is the case
for Windows programs.

About why people still use Windows

Well, there are many reasons for that. First, they don't know
Linux, their family and friends and co-workers use Windows...
Gamers can still use Windows if certain game runs only in Windows
and not in Linux. Keep that in mind, an executable that runs on
Windows DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX, only if there is a version compiled
to run on Linux, or if you are using Wine or a virtual machine.

Another reason, if you buy a scanner/printer, and it comes with an
installation CD.. In the most cases, it runs only in Windows. It
does not mean that you won't be able to use your scanner/printer,
it only means that maybe an advanced feature/software from the CD
won't run on Linux.

In my case, I use Linux in my personal computers, my work
computers, and on the servers at my company, BUT at my company we
still need to use Windows because there is an old application
which runs only on Windows we need to run often.

About bluescreen, antivirus, etc

Linux don't have bluescreen. In Linux, you don't need an
antivirus. Linux don't start to "pour". You don't have to clean
Linux as you do in Windows (with Advanced SystemCare, CCleaner,
etc).

My recommendation

I'm a programmer, I work with Linux for almost ten years, using it
personally and managing Linux servers.

But, my father is not a programmer, and have little knowledge
about computers. He used Windows for many years, to browse the web
and play a little game sometimes. Twice a month he complained his
Windows was slow, so I had to uninstall unnecessary garbage
(browser toolbars, etc), and clean his Windows with Advanced
SystemCare (I also had to remove viruses his free antivirus didn't
catch).

One day that changed when I installed Debian with KDE on his
computer. In few hours I explained how to use Debian, and the main
differences. In about one week he was using his printer, writing
documents in LibreOffice, browsing the web and playing Linux games
with the same easy he did with Windows. But, I NEVER had to clean
his computer again, and he NEVER had problem with viruses.

I also installed Wine in his computer and he play some Windows
games as well =)

I sure forgot to mention something, but I hope you got the main
idea.

You are right, Debian is sensational! =)

Regards,

--
William Ivanski

Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Konrad Neitzel

Hi all.

I do not want to start a discussion of windows vs linux but some things
simply needs a correction.

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 21:19 -0200, William Ivanski wrote:

> because of the APT system. It installs your software based on
> dependency, so it installs a requires library, for example, only ONCE,
> instead of many times the same library, which is the case for Windows
> programs.

Windows also has an installer system and dependencies must only be
installed once, too.

> *About bluescreen, antivirus, etc*
> Linux don't have bluescreen.

But Linux has Kernel Panics. A bluescreen normaly shows that your system
has a problem. Either some hardware failed or you have a problem with
the drivers. So it is not a generic Windows problem.

> In Linux, you don't need an antivirus.
In the german users maillist was a discussion about that topic and some
people had the opinion, that an antivirus for pure linux systems is also
usefull.

My recommendations are a little different. If someone does not know
Linux and does not have anyone near who can help, then I would not
suggest to use Linux. (As long as there are some things that you really
want to do!)
Start with a VM if possible. When you found out, how everything you need
works on Linux, then you found the right time to switch to Linux.

And also be aware: Windows 7 support ends quite soon. So users will have
to switch sooner or later which will include a new behavior of the
operating system. So it could be a good time to check out Linux.

With kind regards,

Konrad
--
Konrad Neitzel <konrad@neitzel.de>