Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Aniyan Rajan

Default Upgrading 32-bit to 64-bit

Hello,

I have a Debian/Squeeze 32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is natively
installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor (Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to upgrade the OS
to Wheezy 64-bit. I found this article:

https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

The question is:
Do I have to upgrade from Debian/Squeeze 32-bit to Debian/Wheezy 32-bit
(as a pre-requisite), before using the above article ?

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Pontus Wiberg

Wouldn't it be easier, faster and safer to back up your data and reinstall with Wheezy 64-bit? Migrating from 32 to 64 on a live system sounds pretty hazardous to me.. unless I'm missing something.*
I haven't used a native backup manager for Debian but maybe something like;*http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/backup-manager*could make the process easier.*

Either way I recommend a complete backup before trying something like a 32-64 migration, could save you a lot of headaches
Best Regards,

Pontus Wiberg
IT Operations Lead

UNIVERSUM - Building Brands to capture
Talent

Sign-up for free insights and the latest
talent news at:
http://www.universumglobal.com/Universum-news

I have a Debian/Squeeze 32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is natively

installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor (Intel(R)

Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to upgrade the OS

to Wheezy 64-bit. I found this article:

https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

The question is:

Do I have to upgrade from Debian/Squeeze 32-bit to Debian/Wheezy 32-bit

(as a pre-requisite), before using the above article ?

Thanks.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/525FA730.3040400@gmail.com

________________________________

DISCLAIMER: this message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message and delete it from your computer. Any other unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Paulo Diovani

You would have to reinstall all of yout binary applications and libs, and the kernel.
It's easier and faster just reinstall the entire system.
Just backup yout $HOME (don't forget the .hidden¬*directories).
You may also restore (reinstall) every package by saving a package list file (look at¬*http://serverfault.com/questions/56848/install-the-same-debian-packages-on-another-system, not tested by me).

--
Paulo Diovani,

diovani.com¬*/ @paulodiovani /¬*‚ô£

Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Bob Proulx

Aniyan Rajan wrote:
> I have a Debian/Squeeze 32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is
> natively installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor
> (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to
> upgrade the OS to Wheezy 64-bit.

Why? What benefit do you expect from it being a 64-bit system?

Also the most important detail you left out. How much memory do you
have? Do you have more than 4 gig of memory?

> I found this article:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit

The above is an experimental process. It is meant as a sharing of
information for hackers to learn. It requires detailed actions to be
taken in order to be successful. A problem along the way and you
would be left with an unusable system.

This is how development occurs. Someone says, it can't be done.
Someone else says, I did it this way. Time passes and various people
try doing it various ways. If it becomes mature then that eventually
is promoted to a normal easy thing to do. But in the beginning it is
very scary development for experts only.

Currently migrating systems from 32-bit to 64-bit is a technical
possibility. It is like walking on a tightrope between two balloons.
Is it possible. Yes. Has it been done. Yes. Would *I* walk a tight
rope between two hot air balloons? NO!!

Backup your data. Install a fresh 64-bit system. Copy your data back.

Bob

Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Aniyan Rajan

I have a Debian/Squeeze 32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is
natively installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor
(Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to
upgrade the OS to Wheezy 64-bit.

Why? What benefit do you expect from it being a 64-bit system?

Also the most important detail you left out. How much memory do you
have? Do you have more than 4 gig of memory?
No, I have only 2 gig. I have installed 32-bit Etch in this laptop in
2007, without checking the possibility to install a 64-bit OS. Later on,
I found that 64-bit is possible. Now I have to upgrade from Squeeze to
Wheezy anyway. So I was thinking why can't I go for a Wheezy 64-bit.

[...]

I thought the above article would be easier like the normal
dist-upgrade, even though I may face some issues that needs research and
fix. So from your suggestion, I think it is a good idea to backup the
entire system (using a dd command), then format the harddisk and do a
fresh installation.

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Hristo Topalov

64bit OS is needed if you want to run PROGRAM (ONE program such as DB
etc.) which will take more than 4GB (per process) or to chroot in 64bit
OS. Otherwise you don`t need a 64bit os.

The easiest way to do is:
- boot with live cd;
- backup your important files ( e.g. from /etc/ ) to your /home/user folder;
- backup your /root/ to /home/user;
- delete everything from / except /home/;
- install a fresh debian from netinstall cd (DON`T MARK THE ROOT (/)
PARTITION FOR FORMAT!!! JUST SET THE FILESYSTEM (YOUR OLD ONE e.g. ext4)
AND SET THE MOUNT POINT /);

- boot in your newly debian .

Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

On 10/17/2013 11:00 AM, Aniyan Rajan wrote:> I have a Debian/Squeeze
32-bit stable release (6.0.3), which is natively
> installed in my laptop. The processor is a 64-bit processor (Intel(R)
> Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz). Now, I would like to upgrade the OS
> to Wheezy 64-bit. I found this article:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit
>
> The question is:
> Do I have to upgrade from Debian/Squeeze 32-bit to Debian/Wheezy 32-bit
> (as a pre-requisite), before using the above article ?

i would not recommend the article, the migration path is messy, and only
for people with very high skills, because not every package is
32bit/64bit compatible with their data file on disk format.

so the migration is only for people who know which daemons they running,
and how they store their data on disk.

Whatever you do, make a full backup of your system.

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org

Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM