-   -   problems with drivers and energy star ASUS N550JV (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/713555-problems-drivers-energy-star-asus-n550jv.html)

10-11-2013 12:44 AM

problems with drivers and energy star ASUS N550JV

Hello,

I have problems with drivers for asus n550jv in debian wheezy 64 bit, debian installs normally but can not find some drivers as touchpad and illuminated keyboard, the battery of my asus n550jv down very fast with debian or some version of linux.

Help me!
I could do?
asus n550jv comes default with windows 8 64 bit.

Sincerely,
Jhonatan Ospina
student

Ivan Kovnatsky 10-11-2013 09:49 PM

On Oct 11, 2013 at 03:44, jhonatanospina@hushmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problems with drivers for asus n550jv in debian wheezy 64 bit,
> debian installs normally but can not find some drivers as touchpad and
> illuminated keyboard, the battery of my asus n550jv down very fast
> with debian or some version of linux.
>
> Help me!
> I could do?
> asus n550jv comes default with windows 8 64 bit.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jhonatan Ospina
> student

I see that it's your second email about your laptop. I'm not much of a help
here, sorry. But what I've learnt from similar experience is that your
should carefully check for hardware on laptop/desktop you're about to buy, so
you be able to run it on GNU/Linux. Of course if you're intend to use it.

I've given a hit for your problem on the search engine, and it seems like
there might be difficulties with drivers on GNU/Linux.

Also, I don't see the reason to use wheezy on laptop. I'd use jessie.

-Ivan

Florian Reitmeir 10-12-2013 12:29 AM

problems with drivers and energy star ASUS N550JV

Hi,

On 10/11/2013 02:44 AM, jhonatanospina@hushmail.com wrote:
> I have problems with drivers for asus n550jv in debian wheezy 64 bit,
> debian installs normally but can not find some drivers as touchpad and
> illuminated keyboard, the battery of my asus n550jv down very fast with
> debian or some version of linux.
>
> Help me!
> I could do?
> asus n550jv comes default with windows 8 64 bit.

please open an terminal, and post the output of

lspci

and

lsusb

also, whats the problem? is the touchpad not working? or do you expect
it to work someway which it does not?

Also .. new hardware may require an newer kernel, did you try one of the
kernel of debian backport?

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org

David Moscrip 10-12-2013 09:37 PM

problems with drivers and energy star ASUS N550JV

http://nyblnet.blogspot.com/2013/08/running-linux-on-asus-n550jv-fedora-19.html?m=1

... this link shows it to work, but with specific kernel issues, that it also shows how to fix. Most relevant is the RECENT kernel ... so it will probably mean trying at least unstable install. A post in that link says all works with 3.10.11kernel, which is the kernel from unstable

Dave
--GNU... its Freedom baby, YEAH!