Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Carl Fink

Default Touchscreen Ultrabooks running Debian?

I'm ready to replace my five-year-old netbook with something a bit peppier.
I'd like to run Debian on it if possible.

I use a smartphone a lot, and I find myself instinctively tapping the screen
with my fingers. If for no other reason, I'd like an ultrabook with a
touchscreen. Ideally a detachable or hideable keyboard (that is, a keyboard
that can fold behind the screen), but a touchscreen is on my "get this"
list.

None of the usual suspects (e.g Za Reason) seem to sell Linux-installed
systems that are what I want. For instance, something like the ASUS Zenbook
series running Linux:

http://zenbook.asus.com/zenbook/

I searched the archive of this list and found no messages concerning
touchscreens newer than 2011(!). Of course, the search on Debian mailing
lists is broken.

I also found this page:
http://www.debian.org/misc/laptops/

All it does is recommend this mailing list and a couple of old sites that
don't mention touchscreens.

Then there's this page:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/asus.html

That doesn't mention the Zenbooks.

So: anyone have experience trying to install Debian on a Zenbook, or any
other touchscreen system? The Zenbook has nVidia graphics, which should be
compatible, along with standard ports and buses (e.g. USB 3, HDMI).

Should I just go with Ubuntu, which seems to go out of its way to support
touchscreens? (I tried Ubuntu a while back and didn't like it, but I like it
more than Windows ****ing 8!) Can anyone maybe recommend a better
touchscreen ultrabook, either with Debian pre-installed or a known quantity
for installing it?

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Deryk Barker

I'm ready to replace my five-year-old netbook with something a bit peppier.
I'd like to run Debian on it if possible.

I use a smartphone a lot, and I find myself instinctively tapping the screen
with my fingers. If for no other reason, I'd like an ultrabook with a
touchscreen. Ideally a detachable or hideable keyboard (that is, a keyboard
that can fold behind the screen), but a touchscreen is on my "get this"
list.

None of the usual suspects (e.g Za Reason) seem to sell Linux-installed
systems that are what I want. For instance, something like the ASUS Zenbook
series running Linux:

http://zenbook.asus.com/zenbook/
I have a ASUA Vivobook X202 to replace my HP netbook, whose keyboard was
starting to fail.

It's not an ultrabook but it's thin and light and an 11.6" screen was
all I needed (there are other Vivobooks). Dual-core i3 CPU with 4 (IIRC)
GB RAM and a 500GB hdd.

Mint runs perfectly from the live image and after some fun and games
with EFI, also boots just fine.

The touchscreen and touchpad both worked from the get-go.

I've also installed PearOS V7 (I think it is - the current one, not the
beta) in a dual-boot configuration and that also works just fine.

Both are ultimately derived from Ubuntu 13.04 I believe. I gather that
there were problems with the touchscreen (like, it didn't work) in
Ubuntu 12.10 or maybe it was 12.04. I don't like Ubuntu either and am
running the KDE variant of Mint 15. (PearOS in case you didn't know is
an attempt - pretty successfully - to give the look and probably feel of
Mac OSX; I like to mess with my students' heads occasionally...:-))

Hope this is of some help.

deryk

Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Joey Hess

Carl Fink writes:
> I also found this page:
> http://www.debian.org/misc/laptops/
>
> All it does is recommend this mailing list and a couple of old sites that
> don't mention touchscreens.

That page should have this link added to it, which is getting detailed
information about Debian on at least some models of laptops.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/
(www team, can you please do so?)

Carl, I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 11s, which meets your requirements of a
touchscreen ultrabook with a foldable keyboard.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Lenovo/IdeaPad%20Yoga%2011s

--
see shy jo

Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Bdale Garbee

Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> writes:

> So: anyone have experience trying to install Debian on a Zenbook, or any
> other touchscreen system? The Zenbook has nVidia graphics, which should be
> compatible, along with standard ports and buses (e.g. USB 3, HDMI).

Last week I got handed a Samsung "series 5 ULTRA" which I immediately
installed Debian sid on. To my surprise, the touch screen stuff just
seems to work out of the box. I doubt I'll use it much, since
fingerprints on my screen drive me nuts... But you might want to have a
look at Samsung's current offering, too?

Bdale

Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Carl Fink

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:24:26AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
[snip]
> Carl, I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 11s, which meets your requirements of a
> touchscreen ultrabook with a foldable keyboard.
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Lenovo/IdeaPad%20Yoga%2011s

I'd like to thank Joey, Bdale, and Deryk. In the end, the Lenovo looked like
very nearly exactly what I wanted. Pricey, but I've had good experiences
with Lenovo for decades now.

So I ordered one tonight. I should receive it next week.

Then I can bug Joey with configuration questions. :-)

I appreciate the fast, excellent support on this. Everyone have a good
weekend.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Josef Bailey