Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Josef Bailey

Default Touchscreen Ultrabooks running Debian?

On 09/21, Paul Wise wrote:

> apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64
>
> --
> bye,
> pabs

Thanks Paul

jcbjoe@debian:~$ aptitude -t wheezy-backports search ~n'linux-image'
v linux-image -
p linux-image-2.6-amd64 - Linux for 64-bit PCs (dummy package)
p linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64 - Linux 3.10 for 64-bit PCs
p linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.10-0.bpo.2-amd64
p linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64 - Linux 3.10 for 64-bit PCs, PREEMPT_RT
p linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.10-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64
i A linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs
p linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64
p linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PCs, PREEMPT_RT
p linux-image-3.2.0-4-rt-amd64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
p linux-image-3.9-0.bpo.1-amd64 - Linux 3.9 for 64-bit PCs
p linux-image-3.9-0.bpo.1-amd64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux 3.9-0.bpo.1-amd64
i linux-image-amd64 - Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

You are the man

Thanks
Josef

Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Josef Bailey

On 09/21, Paul Wise wrote:

> I guess you didn't notice the package names on the link I sent. In
> Debian the Linux kernel images are called linux-image, not kernel-image,
> since we have multiple kernels in Debian (Linux, FreeBSD, Hurd):
>
> apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64
>
> --
> bye,
> pabs

Hey Paul Or Debian-laptop, Debian-www

I Updated to linux-image-amd64 3.10 and yea .. thats not for me / Everything was broken .. Probably because im so new that i just purged it and went back to 3.2.0-4 lol

Thanks for all your help

Thanks
Josef

Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Paul Wise

On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 02:29 -0700, Josef Bailey wrote:

> I Updated to linux-image-amd64 3.10 and yea .. thats not for me /
> Everything was broken .. Probably because im so new that i just purged
> it and went back to 3.2.0-4 lol

Please report bugs for any issues you find, otherwise the issues will
not be fixed in the next version of Debian after wheezy.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 09-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Carl Fink

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 09:23:06AM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 00:19 -0700, Josef Bailey wrote:
>
> > I have that version of wheezy-backports in my sources.list and i couldn't find the kernel / Very strange
>
> I guess you didn't notice the package names on the link I sent. In
> Debian the Linux kernel images are called linux-image, not kernel-image,
> since we have multiple kernels in Debian (Linux, FreeBSD, Hurd):
>
> apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64

I thought Josef had an Ideabook Yoga 13, which uses the Core i5 and i7
series CPUs from Intel. Why use the AMD64 kernel?
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Facundo Aguirre

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:17:22AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 09:23:06AM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 00:19 -0700, Josef Bailey wrote:
> >
> > > I have that version of wheezy-backports in my sources.list and i couldn't find the kernel / Very strange
> >
> > I guess you didn't notice the package names on the link I sent. In
> > Debian the Linux kernel images are called linux-image, not kernel-image,
> > since we have multiple kernels in Debian (Linux, FreeBSD, Hurd):
> >
> > apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64
>
> I thought Josef had an Ideabook Yoga 13, which uses the Core i5 and i7
> series CPUs from Intel. Why use the AMD64 kernel?

>From http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/:

The port consists of a kernel for all AMD 64bit CPUs with AMD64
extension and all *Intel CPUs* with Intel 64 extension, and a common 64bit
userspace.

--
Facundo Aguirre

Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Josef Bailey

On 09/21, Paul Wise wrote:

> Please report bugs for any issues you find, otherwise the issues will
> not be fixed in the next version of Debian after wheezy.
>
> --
> bye,
> pabs

Hello Paul

Thanks for all the help

I will report the bug .. I will go back to 3.10 today and document each thing that is broken on the system

Tanks
Josef

Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Carl Fink

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 11:23:34AM -0300, Facundo Aguirre wrote:

> >From http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/:
>
> The port consists of a kernel for all AMD 64bit CPUs with AMD64
> extension and all *Intel CPUs* with Intel 64 extension, and a common 64bit
> userspace.

Thank you. Also, what a terrible idea! Is that stupid and confusing name
chosen by the Debian kernel team, or upstream?

Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Bob Proulx

Carl Fink wrote:
> Facundo Aguirre wrote:
> > >From http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/:
> > The port consists of a kernel for all AMD 64bit CPUs with
> > AMD64 extension and all *Intel CPUs* with Intel 64 extension,
> > and a common 64bit userspace.
>
> Thank you. Also, what a terrible idea! Is that stupid and confusing name
> chosen by the Debian kernel team, or upstream?

The name is amd64 because AMD developed it. The author gets the honor
of naming it. AMD64 was chosen by Intel for Intel cpus when Intel
decided to produce chips to AMD's specification. Of course Intel
would prefer to downplay this but it is what it is. You may be buying
an Intel Core i5 but the architecture is the AMD64 architecture.

The same was true for years in reverse when AMD produced chips to
Intel's specification. If you had a IA-32 AMD k7 Athlon cpu the
correct kernel was the Intel i686 kernel for it. Same for Cyrix,
Transmeta, and VIA chips. This is the same thing. The companies do
often leap-frog each other. Competition is good for consumers. VIA
and others also make chips with the amd64 architecture. The Debian
kernel string refers to the architecture not to the vendor that
produced the chip because there are many vendors producing the same
architecture.

Intel also produces their own 64-bit architecture called IA-64 known
as Itanium. Those systems are usually only found in high-end servers.
They are rarely seen by consumers of low-end systems. A common
confusion is people trying to load IA-64 software onto a non-Itanium
system. Of course that can't work. However if Intel had been able to
market this architecture into the low-end consumer market then it
would be conceivable that we would all be running IA-64 systems
instead of AMD64 systems. But that didn't happen.

I have been enjoying the influx of ARM cpus due to their more
efficient power envelope. In the end will the ARM architecture be
more dominant? Who can know the future before it is written? It is
positioned well for it.

Bob

Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 AM
Carl Fink

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 01:25:58PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
> > > The port consists of a kernel for all AMD 64bit CPUs with
> > > AMD64 extension and all *Intel CPUs* with Intel 64 extension,
> > > and a common 64bit userspace.
> >
> > Thank you. Also, what a terrible idea! Is that stupid and confusing name
> > chosen by the Debian kernel team, or upstream?
>
> The name is amd64 because AMD developed it. The author gets the honor
> of naming it. AMD64 was chosen by Intel for Intel cpus when Intel
> decided to produce chips to AMD's specification. Of course Intel
> would prefer to downplay this but it is what it is. You may be buying
> an Intel Core i5 but the architecture is the AMD64 architecture.

OK, that terrible and confusing name was picked by upstream. Thanks.

You know, the kernel project doesn't have to use a terrible, misleading name
because AMD says so.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Bob Proulx

Carl Fink wrote:
> OK, that terrible and confusing name was picked by upstream. Thanks.
>
> You know, the kernel project doesn't have to use a terrible,
> misleading name because AMD says so.

I don't understand. It doesn't seem terrible. What is misleading
about the name? Also any alternative that I can brainstorm is worse.
Of course this is in the realm of the lkml (linux kernel mailing list)
and not any Debian one.

Bob