-   -   Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/713323-acer-aspire-iconia-tab-w500.html)

Dick Thomas 07-27-2013 07:02 PM

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500

I'm thinking of getting a

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 10.1 inch LED Tablet (AMD-C50 Dual Core
Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB HDD, Wireless, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home
Premium 32-bit)

there is a page on the wiki about it but doesn't seem very promising,
but there was a review of x86 tabs on linux format but no review of it
with Debian

just wondered if anyone had much joy with it with a newer drivers/kernel etc

Dick thomas

http://about.me/dick.thomas
http://www.dick-thomas.co.uk
Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk
G+: www.google.com/profiles/xpd259
gpg key: 98631051

chip 07-28-2013 11:13 AM

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 10.1 inch LED Tablet (AMD-C50 Dual Core
Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB HDD, Wireless, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home
Premium 32-bit)

there is a page on the wiki about it but doesn't seem very promising,
but there was a review of x86 tabs on linux format but no review of it
with Debian

just wondered if anyone had much joy with it with a newer drivers/kernel etc

Dick thomas

http://about.me/dick.thomas
http://www.dick-thomas.co.uk
Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk
G+: www.google.com/profiles/xpd259
gpg key: 98631051

I know of quite a few android based tablets from the likes of Samsung
and others. How ever, you may want to repost this question to a tablet
specific mailing list. i know for a fact that there is a pretty active
port of Debian for arm based processors.

Thanks,
Chip

http://porter.sdf.org

Damjan Zemljič 07-29-2013 10:08 AM

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500

Maybe just as encouragement. I run Debian on Acer Aspire one 725 (C-60, bluetooth,...)* flawlessly. Kernel 3.9, stable the rest.

Br,* Damjan

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/51F4FCC3.6040809@grex.org

Dick Thomas 08-07-2013 08:21 PM

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500

On 29 July 2013 11:08, Damjan Zemljič <damjan.zemljic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe just as encouragement. I run Debian on Acer Aspire one 725 (C-60,
> bluetooth,...) flawlessly. Kernel 3.9, stable the rest.
> Br, Damjan
>
> On 28 Jul 2013 13:30, "chip" <flipper88.ps@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/27/2013 03:02 PM, Dick Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of getting a
>>>
>>> Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB W500 10.1 inch LED Tablet (AMD-C50 Dual Core
>>> Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB HDD, Wireless, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home
>>> Premium 32-bit)
>>>
>>> there is a page on the wiki about it but doesn't seem very promising,
>>> but there was a review of x86 tabs on linux format but no review of it
>>> with Debian
>>>
>>> just wondered if anyone had much joy with it with a newer drivers/kernel
>>> etc
>>>

>>> Dick thomas
>>>

>>> http://about.me/dick.thomas
>>> http://www.dick-thomas.co.uk
>>> Blog: www.xpd259.co.uk
>>> G+: www.google.com/profiles/xpd259
>>> gpg key: 98631051
>>>

>> I know of quite a few android based tablets from the likes of Samsung and
>> others. How ever, you may want to repost this question to a tablet specific
>> mailing list. i know for a fact that there is a pretty active port of Debian
>> for arm based processors.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chip
>>
>> http://porter.sdf.org
>>

>> --

good news for the Debian Community , I've got the hardware and I've tested
fedora, openSuSe and Debian. Debian was the only one to work out of
the box (using the non-free-firmware iso) wifi, every thing just
worked :) allowing me to upgrade the gfx drivers to the ATI ones

going to upgrade to testing to see if the gnome virtual keyboard is
better on that as on stable it is quite poor, but was the only
redeeming feature of Fedora 19

Will update the wiki when I've played a little more

http://about.me/dick.thomas