Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Gerard ROBIN

Default using samsung wave y GT S5380 as modem

Hello,
I use wheezy on my old laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi

I configured my phone "samsung wave y S5380" as modem.
With wicd I can see the ESSID "wave y" and I can connect successfuly too
it (100%) but I can't browse the web with iceweasel. If I ping an address I get
1OO% of packets lost.

What I am missing ?

Thank in advance for any help.

--
Gérard

Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Sebastian Salvino

Most likely because of a missing name server.

Take a look into /etc/resolv.conf and see if there are any in there.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20130626172833.GA12357@mauritiusGA

Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Gerard ROBIN

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:38:44PM -0300, Sebastian Salvino wrote:
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:38:44 -0300
> From: Sebastian Salvino <sas@noend.com>
> To: Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr>
> Cc: debian-laptop <debian-laptop@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: using samsung wave y GT S5380 as modem
>
> My answer may only apply if you're able to successfully receive ping
> replies from ip addresses.
> On Jun 26, 2013 2:33 PM, "Sebastian Salvino" <sas@noend.com> wrote:
>
> > Most likely because of a missing name server.
> >
> > Take a look into /etc/resolv.conf and see if there are any in there.
> > On Jun 26, 2013 2:29 PM, "Gerard ROBIN" <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
By browsing on the web more and more I understood that I needed samsung
kies, but it doesn't exist for linux and I saw that samsung kies doesn't
work fine with XP. With this mobile it's hopeless.

--
Gérard

Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Gerard ROBIN

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 07:26:16PM +0200, Gerard ROBIN wrote:
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:26:16 +0200
> From: Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr>
> To: debian-laptop <debian-laptop@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: using samsung wave y GT S5380 as modem
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 02:38:44PM -0300, Sebastian Salvino wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:38:44 -0300
> > From: Sebastian Salvino <sas@noend.com>
> > To: Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr>
> > Cc: debian-laptop <debian-laptop@lists.debian.org>
> > Subject: Re: using samsung wave y GT S5380 as modem
> >
> > My answer may only apply if you're able to successfully receive ping
> > replies from ip addresses.
> > On Jun 26, 2013 2:33 PM, "Sebastian Salvino" <sas@noend.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Most likely because of a missing name server.
> > >
> > > Take a look into /etc/resolv.conf and see if there are any in there.
> > > On Jun 26, 2013 2:29 PM, "Gerard ROBIN" <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> By browsing on the web more and more I understood that I needed samsung
> kies, but it doesn't exist for linux and I saw that samsung kies doesn't
> work fine with XP. With this mobile it's hopeless.

Sorry for the noise, but I have with honesty towards samsung's programmers,
say that my mobile "samsung wave y GT-S5380" works fine under linux as modem.
(out-of-the-box not need samsung kies)
My mistake is that I had not activated the option required (paying) in my ISP.

--
Gérard