Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

Default it is avahi? network

> That looks like someone is attempting to eavesdrop on you.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Michael wrote:

I would be interested in how that could work and how to defend against
it. Would you mind to try to explain it, for short ... ?

On 30.06.13 22:05, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

I'm not an expert, but let me put it this way: what would be the customer
benefit of an ISP doing this?

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Hannu Virtanen wrote:

| ;; ANSWER SECTION:
| local.** *** *** *14400** *IN** *SOA** *ns1.inet.fi. hostmaster.sonera.fi. 114400 7200 864000 14400

maybe the ISP just doesn't want to forward these to root servers. I think we
may assume it's a "best practice", like providing empty reverse zones for
private IP ranges.

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]

Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Matthew Dawson

On June 30, 2013 10:05:41 PM Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Michael wrote:
> > > That looks like someone is attempting to eavesdrop on you.
> >
> > I would be interested in how that could work and how to defend against
> > it. Would you mind to try to explain it, for short ... ?
>
> I'm not an expert, but let me put it this way: what would be the customer
> benefit of an ISP doing this?

The most usual reason is that your ISP displays a page when you incorrectly
enter a dns name, displaying an error. OpenDNS does a similar thing by
default (their search page). Google does not. It can be annoying though, as
some software expects a NXDOMAIN for incorrect results, and your ISP returning
a valid result messes that up (things like history, so now your browser
remembers the mistaken url.)

My isp also does this. I've switched to my own personal DNS server (that also
does DNSSEC!) to avoid it. But using Google's DNS works as well.
--
Matthew

Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 30.06.13 21:24, Matthew Dawson wrote:

The most usual reason is that your ISP displays a page when you incorrectly
enter a dns name, displaying an error. OpenDNS does a similar thing by
default (their search page). Google does not. It can be annoying though, as
some software expects a NXDOMAIN for incorrect results, and your ISP returning
a valid result messes that up (things like history, so now your browser
remembers the mistaken url.)

This does not seems to be the case. It more looks that the ISP just has
locally configured .local domain with empty content, so all requests are
not forwarded to root name servers.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
local. 14400 IN SOA ns1.inet.fi. hostmaster.sonera.fi. 1 14400 7200 864000 14400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
local. 14400 IN NS local.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
local. 14400 IN A 127.0.0.1
local. 14400 IN AAAA ::1

The OP could check this by trying "dig ANY test.local."

However, I recommend to solve this would be change setting of the "local"
domain on the DHCP server (most probably the router) to something else.
Preferrably, own domain if user owns any.

changing avahi domain-name is not a good idea, since all devices use ".local"
- you would have to change it on all devices, and I'm not sure if all devices
support changing it. Also, you can still forget something.

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Daniel Landau

Hi all,

I am also a customer of the same ISP (Sonera) and I too have today
gotten a new ZyXEL router and yes, I too now have the same error
message. The proper English language version for the message is:

"Network service discovery disabled

Your current network has a .local domain, which is not recommended and
incompatible with the Avahi network service discovery. The service has
been disabled."

As suggested, changing the DNS used from the ISP provided one to
openDNS or Google DNS removed the error. The user guide for my router
is at ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/NBG-419N_v2/user_guide/NBG-419N%20v2_.pdf
but I would assume that the management is similar for other ZyXEL
routers too. In short, the procedure is to open the address
192.168.1.1 in your web browser, log in with the default password 1234
and follow instructions and poke around until reaching the setting for
the dhcp server and there change the setting for DNS server to
"User-Defined" and 208.67.222.222 for openDNS server or 8.8.8.8 for
Google DNS server.

However, with my previous router, I could connect to machines on my
wireless network using their hostnames (which is e.g. useful for
moving files to/from Android devices wirelessly with ftp), now I
can't. I realize this is off-topic, but does anybody have any idea or
pointers to material on how to get resolving of local hostnames to
work again?

Daniel Landau

Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 01.07.13 15:56, Daniel Landau wrote:

[...]

Could you please go to General Screen as mentioned on page 179, section
25.3?

Is the domain set to .local? What happens if you put back your ISP DNS
servers but change domain name to something different? (iki.fi, sonera.fi
or something).

It should work flawlessly imho.

However, with my previous router, I could connect to machines on my
wireless network using their hostnames (which is e.g. useful for
moving files to/from Android devices wirelessly with ftp), now I
can't.

I guess this might be one of issues using .local in your network causes.

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Daniel Landau

On 2013-07-01 16:07, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

On 01.07.13 15:56, Daniel Landau wrote:
Could you please go to General Screen as mentioned on page 179, section
25.3?

Is the domain set to .local? What happens if you put back your ISP DNS
servers but change domain name to something different? (iki.fi,
sonera.fi

or something).

It should work flawlessly imho.

The domain is set to zyxel.com. I changed it to landau.fi (which I
control), but this didn't have any noticeable effect. If I change the
DNS to ISP the error returns.

However, with my previous router, I could connect to machines on my
wireless network using their hostnames (which is e.g. useful for
moving files to/from Android devices wirelessly with ftp), now I
can't.

I guess this might be one of issues using .local in your network
causes.

It doesn't seem to be related. With my old router (a Wippies HomeBox
http://forum.wippies.com/wiki/Wippies_HomeBox) my resolv.conf contains a
line "search Sauna". With the ZyXEL router there is a line "search
zyxel.com" or "search landau.fi" depending on the setting. If I instead
put .local in that spot, my resolv.conf doesn't have a search line. I
think the "search Sauna" thing would seem to mean, that the Wippies
router is doing something active to ensure that the hostnames resolve
correctly. If I get a pointer to some material, I'd be happy to set up a
local DNS server to resolve my local hosts.

Daniel Landau

Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 01.07.13 16:35, Daniel Landau wrote:
The domain is set to zyxel.com. I changed it to landau.fi (which I
control), but this didn't have any noticeable effect. If I change the
DNS to ISP the error returns.

ok, it really looks as the ISP's .local domain issue.

[...]

local resolution server or use servers that do public recursice DNS, e.g.
Google... and report this issue to the ISP if they know about that.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Sebastian Salvino

on 7/1/2013 10:35 AM Daniel Landau said the following:
> On 2013-07-01 16:07, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 01.07.13 15:56, Daniel Landau wrote:
>> Could you please go to General Screen as mentioned on page 179, section
>> 25.3?
>>
>> Is the domain set to .local? What happens if you put back your ISP DNS
>> servers but change domain name to something different? (iki.fi, sonera.fi
>> or something).
>>
>> It should work flawlessly imho.
>
> The domain is set to zyxel.com. I changed it to landau.fi (which I
> control), but this didn't have any noticeable effect. If I change the
> DNS to ISP the error returns.
>

>>> However, with my previous router, I could connect to machines on my
>>> wireless network using their hostnames (which is e.g. useful for
>>> moving files to/from Android devices wirelessly with ftp), now I
>>> can't.
>>
>> I guess this might be one of issues using .local in your network causes.
>
> It doesn't seem to be related. With my old router (a Wippies HomeBox
> http://forum.wippies.com/wiki/Wippies_HomeBox) my resolv.conf contains a
> line "search Sauna". With the ZyXEL router there is a line "search
> zyxel.com" or "search landau.fi" depending on the setting. If I instead
> put .local in that spot, my resolv.conf doesn't have a search line. I
> think the "search Sauna" thing would seem to mean, that the Wippies
> router is doing something active to ensure that the hostnames resolve
> correctly. If I get a pointer to some material, I'd be happy to set up a
> local DNS server to resolve my local hosts.
>
> Daniel Landau

Hello,

The Avahi issue that some of you were experimenting was not related to
customer's side but provider's side.

For those of you who might want to keep using the provider's name
servers; Change the value of AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL, which is located
at /etc/default/avahi-daemon, to zero.

Regards

Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Hannu Virtanen

The problem solved.

Hi,

I have been away for a while.

But the solution seems to here now.

I did as

Sebastian Salvino suggested:

--------------------------------
For those of you who might want to keep using the provider's name
servers; Change the value of AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL, which is located
at /etc/default/avahi-daemon, to zero.

and the error message disappeared.

with best,

-hv

P.S.

If somebody, who knows well how this part of the system works, would like to write a small description

about, it might be nice.

*

Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Hannu Virtanen