Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Paul Harper

Default How to install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?

How can I install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?
All the instuctions I find on the internet seem to be for Ubuntu on the C7 or for installing Debian on the ARM Chromebooks.

I would much prefer Debian on my C7.
Regards,
Paul Harper
--
about.me/pauljamesharper

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Robert Heinlein

Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Dan Ritter

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 04:25:04PM +0700, Paul Harper wrote:
> How can I install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?
>
> All the instuctions I find on the internet seem to be for Ubuntu on the C7
> or for installing Debian on the ARM Chromebooks.
>
> I would much prefer Debian on my C7.

It's an Intel x86 CPU, so I would try following the instructions for
Ubuntu until you can put an image on the SSD, and then put in a Debian
image instead.

-dsr-

Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Paul Harper

How can I install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?

All the instuctions I find on the internet seem to be for Ubuntu on the C7
or for installing Debian on the ARM Chromebooks.

I would much prefer Debian on my C7.

It's an Intel x86 CPU, so I would try following the instructions for
Ubuntu until you can put an image on the SSD, and then put in a Debian
image instead.

-dsr-

The Acer C7 is one of the models with a hard drive rather than an
SSD.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c7-chromebook.html#specs

I did find this set of instructions but it is for Squeeze and for
the Samsung Series 5.

http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/how-to-install-gnulinux-debian-603-on.html

Mr Brock Tice has an excellent page on how to install Wheezy on the
Chromebook Pixel here:

http://blog.brocktice.com/2013/03/09/running-debian-wheezy-7-0-on-the-chromebook-pixel/

But it appears the hardware is too different.

There is a reference to the Acer C7 in the Linux Kernel 3.9 which
leads me to believe it should be possible to install.

http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2013/04/30/linux-3-9-and-chromebook-support/

I am amazed that nobody seems to have installed Wheezy on the Acer
C7 seeing how cheap it is. Or more likely they have it is not
documented.

It would be good to get the method documented on

http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer

The Acer C7 is a nice affordable laptop once it has Linux on it.

For the moment I am running Ubuntu 12.04.

Regards,

Paul Harper

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Dan Ritter

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 12:41:18PM +0700, Paul Harper wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 03:25 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> >On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 04:25:04PM +0700, Paul Harper wrote:
> >>How can I install Debian Wheezy on the Acer C7 Chromebook?
> >>
> >>All the instuctions I find on the internet seem to be for Ubuntu on the C7
> >>or for installing Debian on the ARM Chromebooks.
> >>
> >>I would much prefer Debian on my C7.
> >It's an Intel x86 CPU, so I would try following the instructions for
> >Ubuntu until you can put an image on the SSD, and then put in a Debian
> >image instead.
> >
> >-dsr-
>
> The Acer C7 is one of the models with a hard drive rather than an SSD.
>
> http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c7-chromebook.html#specs
>
> I did find this set of instructions but it is for Squeeze and for
> the Samsung Series 5. http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/how-to-install-gnulinux-debian-603-on.html
>
> Mr Brock Tice has an excellent page on how to install Wheezy on the
> Chromebook Pixel here:
>
> http://blog.brocktice.com/2013/03/09/running-debian-wheezy-7-0-on-the-chromebook-pixel/
>
> But it appears the hardware is too different.
>

> There is a reference to the Acer C7 in the Linux Kernel 3.9 which
> leads me to believe it should be possible to install.
>
> http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2013/04/30/linux-3-9-and-chromebook-support/
>
> I am amazed that nobody seems to have installed Wheezy on the Acer
> C7 seeing how cheap it is. Or more likely they have it is not
> documented.
>
> It would be good to get the method documented on
> http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer
>
> The Acer C7 is a nice affordable laptop once it has Linux on it.
>
> For the moment I am running Ubuntu 12.04.

If you send me one I'll work on it and document it.

Otherwise -- why don't you experiment and try it yourself?
debootstrap is well documented.

-dsr-