Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Michael

Default Measures against overheating

Vladan,

It appears i have thrown out my last 2 WD disks just recently ...

The reason, of course, was they were worn out. I didn't know of the idle3 problem, then.

Anyway, now i'm using only SG and even fresh new drives always show several 'pre failure' values in smartd.
I'm lazy using gsmartcontrol, btw.

> Is there any way to reduce numbers of load cycles on PATA drives?

Beats me .... sorry.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Michael

Vladan, maybe the hdparm -m and -M options would ba also interesting for you.

It's amazing what you learn and discover just by dropping into some random mailing list question. For example, you made me just install cpufreqd on my PC where i never considered that a priority. But why should i waste energy ? And it definitely effects heat. I find the cpufreq config quite easy to understand.

While i know we're talking Laptops here, but as a sidenote, on this PC, the hot GPU card is directly under the CPU fan, and the case does not have any side opening. Apparently makes the CPU fan blow the hot GPU air onto the CPU chip :|

I wanted to equip the case with one of those large, slow side fans, since long. Some modern cases even have a second sidewall fan directed at the harddisk slots. Well, i always just put the busy system disk out-of-case, main problem solved. (Using a 50cm SATA cable)

As for the dust, i plan to place 3 or 4 small quiet indoor fountains around the PC.

- kidding.

As another sidenote, i've a couple of rarely used storage disks (like Backups or Archives) which i'd like to send hdparm -Y at boot time, but then, linux apparently needs to wake them up (hard resetting) at shutdown just to tell them to shutdown. Sucks. Any idea ? this is kernel 3.0.2 on Debian testing.

---

Bob,

> I have that problem of continuously increasing load cycle count from
> head parking with a brand new Seagate 2T drive. It isn't just WD with
> this problem anymore.

Many thanks ! - I'll keep an eye on that.

> File /etc/hdparm.conf:

I'm trying to not change the default config templates, because linux does not have any mechanism to merge user modifications into template updates, so user have to do it manually. Therefore i gathered all possible tweaks in my personal boot script called by /etc/rc.local. (Another possibility is /etc/default/hdparm)

Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Stefan Monnier

> into some random mailing list question. For example, you made me just
> install cpufreqd on my PC where i never considered that a priority.

Nowadays installing cpufrequtils should be all you need to do.

> As another sidenote, i've a couple of rarely used storage disks (like
> Backups or Archives) which i'd like to send hdparm -Y at boot time, but
> then, linux apparently needs to wake them up (hard resetting) at shutdown
> just to tell them to shutdown. Sucks. Any idea ? this is kernel 3.0.2 on
> Debian testing.

Do you shutdown more than once a month? Why?

Stefan

Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 AM
Michael

Sting Wing,

Since your disk is SSD (if i understood correctly), and those normally don't produce much heat, i wonder if it is some other component which (as side effect) heats up the disk drive.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 21:19:25 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Do you shutdown more than once a month? Why?

I often wonder about this. Within the last month, Greg K-H (the
maintainer of recent stable and a couple of important long term
kernels) released four revisions, with instructions that "All users of
the x.x.x kernel series must upgrade. [I use 3.4.x, but I think his
instructions were the same for all.]

I'm no kernel expert, and I know nothing of the Debian kernel
maintainer policies, but I'm going to trust him when he says I must do
something.

Celejar

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Bjørn Mork

>> into some random mailing list question. For example, you made me just
>> install cpufreqd on my PC where i never considered that a priority.
>
> Nowadays installing cpufrequtils should be all you need to do.

No, actually, nowadays you don't even have to do that. CPU frequency
scaling will Just Work(tm) by default, with no userspace interaction at
all:

http://bugs.debian.org/678116
http://bugs.debian.org/664813

Bjørn

Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Michael

Thanks for the info ! Indeed, on my laptops it just worked fine since long. However, i was talking about a PC (always ON AC) and there, i needed to install the daemon to have the CPU actually scaled. Or at least i did not know hot to user-configure the kernel driver. The cpufreqd config is easy to grok.

As i said, it's experimental, to save energy and reduce heat. I don't feel any performance loss since then. It's a 3.2.x kernel btw, i just downgraded to testing after i nearly screwed the box with too heavy version/arch experiments.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Babu Abraham

Having been using Debian 64bit on AMD server as a gateway/fileserver with samba for a while, the ondemand governor is working perfectly fine:
================================================== ========cpufreq-infocpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.analyzing CPU 0:* driver: powernow-k8* CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0* CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0* maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.* hardware limits: 800 MHz - 1.50 GHz* available frequency steps: 1.50 GHz, 1.30 GHz, 1000 MHz, 800 MHz* available cpufreq governors: userspace, conservative, powersave, ondemand, performance* current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.50 GHz.* * * * * * * * * The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use* * * * * * * * * within this range.* current CPU frequency is 800 MHz (asserted by
call to hardware).* cpufreq stats: 1.50 GHz:0.25%, 1.30 GHz:0.01%, 1000 MHz:0.00%, 800 MHz:99.73% *(140984)analyzing CPU 1:* driver: powernow-k8* CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1* CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1* maximum transition latency: 8.0 us.* hardware limits: 800 MHz - 1.50 GHz* available
Thanks for the info ! Indeed, on my laptops it just worked fine since long. However, i was talking about a PC (always ON AC) and there, i needed to install the daemon to have the CPU actually scaled. Or at least i did not know hot to user-configure the kernel driver. The cpufreqd config is easy to grok.

As i said, it's experimental, to save energy and reduce heat. I don't feel any performance loss since then. It's a 3.2.x kernel btw, i just downgraded to testing after i nearly screwed the box with too heavy version/arch experiments.

Archive:
http://lists.debian.org/20130411153715.3850b80d@mirrors.kernel.org

Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Michael

Babu,

> Having been using Debian 64bit on AMD server as a gateway/fileserver with samba for a while, the ondemand governor is working perfectly fine

For this office pC, the kernel cpufreq driver just did not scale anything although the capability was reported. Go figure. Maybe the K8 mainboard is too old for that. But i really don't feel like debugging this any further. It works now, i'm happy.

I may give it another try after some kernel upgrade. However, i really like the configuration of the daemon - i could adapt it much to my needs, easily.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM
Michael

Turning back to harddisk sleep vs. write access of OS subsystems: Here is my 'todays workout' for the smart OS.

On most of my machines (no online servers) i did not need the last weeks of logs, for years. The only reason would be intrusion detection, but hey, i'm talking about laptops and office PCs with nothing worth to break the router. So, to stop the continuous harddisk access, i just de-installed rsyslog daemon.

Then, i made /var/log a tmpfs and out of curiosity, just to see if ot works, reinstalled rsyslog again. As expceted, after each boot, the standard logs get created at syslog start (which is in desktop runlevel rc2, in debian) and so far noone is barfing.
Anyway, it can be easily reverted, only one '#' in /etc/fstab, and reboot.

Here is what happened (tm Monk):

(1) Booted into 'single' mode (runlevel 1) because here, no syslog should be running (that is, per debian default; if your system is different then issue '/etc/init.d/*syslog stop' to shutdown the log daemon)

(2) Edited /etc/fstab with mcedit (package 'mc' - else you could use nano or vi or whatever) and added this line:

tmpfs /var/log tmpfs noatime,nodiratime,uid=0,gid=4,mode=755,size=50M 0 0

Please note:

a. If you mount /var as separate partition (which i always do) then the new entry has to be AFTER the /var one, because /var/log can only be mounted after /var. (The line order in fstab equals time order)

b. 'uid' for root, gid for 'adm', permissions 755 are 'rwx r-x r-x'. I may have lost the original permissions of /var/log some year ago when i fiddled with tiger; correct me if 755 is wrong.

(3) I copied /var/log to /var/log-BAK, just in case. It can be deleted after some days, if you're sure anything is fine.

(4) Afterward, i deleted all content of /var/log, with mc. You may use commandline 'rm -rf' but be very careful with this.You can as well leave the old /var/log/* since it will be mounted-over. I just felt like cleaning the disk up. This steps generally leaves /var/log as mountpoint with original permissions, in case you'd revert the thing some day.

(5) Rebooted.

By the way, i also de-installed much desktop/server/network stuff that i never really needed on my 'office' machines. Namely exim4, the highly active avahi-daemon, ssh-server, network-manager (i use plain ifup), ntp (i use rdate on all my machines). Other candidates for office - depending on your needs - could be bluetooth, wireless, samba, nfs. It also turned out that i can live without 'hal'.
In total, it was a huge amount of packages which i got rid of. Finally, my smart desktop boots a lot faster too.

There is some argument that sometimes you suddenly need an ssh-server, or samba, and what if the internet is down and you can't install. So, alternatively, one could only switch the init scripts off. Lookup the /etc/rc2.d README for the debian way.

However, it's real funny to walk around and mark 'deinstall' anything you don't know what it's good for, and look which packages get broken, and if those can't be just deinstalled too (which was the case for avahi-daemon, only required by llibreoffice java on my desktops, which i never ever needed anyway.)

Maybe one should start with the package manager anyway, and configure it not to install 'recommendet' packages automaticly. That would free most systems of several hundred packages and lots of unneeded stuff.