Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Stefan Monnier

Default Measures against overheating

> router. So, to stop the continuous harddisk access, i just de-installed
> rsyslog daemon.
> Then, i made /var/log a tmpfs and out of curiosity, just to see if ot works,
> reinstalled rsyslog again. As expceted, after each boot, the standard logs
> get created at syslog start (which is in desktop runlevel rc2, in debian)
> and so far noone is barfing.

Note that this risks will fill your ram&swap with logs, next time some
problem shows up causing infinitely repeated log entries. For this
reason I prefer to install busybox-syslogd: it's much smaller than
rsyslogd, keeps the logs in memory (like your tmpfs) but only keeps the
last few KBs of it, so there's no risk of overflowing.

Stefan

Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Michael

Stefan,

> Note that this risks will fill your ram&swap with logs, next time some
> problem shows up causing infinitely repeated log entries. For this
> reason I prefer to install busybox-syslogd: it's much smaller than
> rsyslogd, keeps the logs in memory (like your tmpfs) but only keeps the
> last few KBs of it, so there's no risk of overflowing.

Nice hint ! Thanks!

However, i've got no log daemon at all right now, and the only logs left are lastlog, X log, dmesg and consolekit. Of these, as i believe, only dmesg could potentially be flooded; but IIRR the kernel cuts repetitions (which occur regularly with flakey hardware) automaticly. At least i saw something like 'last message repeated xyz times' in the past.

It's actually an interesting question how the system behaves in the worst crisis (and with no swap) - it makes me think to trigger this purposely some day