Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
sting wing

Default static or dynamic /dev

Question: how does a person know if their /dev is a static or dynamic /dev
i am reading an how to article athttp://www.debian-administration.org/article/327/Monitoring_your_hardware's_temperature
and their are two instructs one for dynamic /devand the other for dynamic /dev
and i personally do not have any C or any Program or shell scripts monitoring the /dev directory with if or , or any constructs.and i do not know if the Debian OS is playing dynamicly with /dev.
sohow does a person know if their default Debian Squeeze 6.0 is static or dynamic.*
Thanks in advance

Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Bob Proulx

sting wing wrote:
> Question: how does a person know if their /dev is a static or dynamic /dev

This is when it changed:

http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#s-kernel-udev

That was way back in Etch 4.0. So any system newer than that, Lenny,
Squeeze, Wheezy, Sid, will have a daynamic /dev.

> i am reading an how to article at
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/327/Monitoring_your_hardware's_temperature
>
> and their are two instructs one for dynamic /dev
> and the other for dynamic /dev

That article is from 2006. I think it is safe to assume that you have
a dynamic /dev these days. Meaning that you don't need to run MAKEDEV
anymore. Just load the modules and let that trigger creation of the
associated devices in /dev.

I will also note that the hddtemp project mentioned in that article is
pretty much dead. It came up for discussion elsewhere which is why I
am familiar with it. I don't know if the tool still works or not. If
so then great. If not then I would use the smartctl -A to dump the
hdd temperature sensor data and extract it from there.

Bob

Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Stefan Monnier

> I will also note that the hddtemp project mentioned in that article is
> pretty much dead. It came up for discussion elsewhere which is why I
> am familiar with it. I don't know if the tool still works or not. If

FWIW, I use it to monitor my drives's temperature in gkrellm.
It doesn't work with USB drives (even those where smartctl does work),
but other than that it seems to work just fine.

Stefan