Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
james gray

Default console mode

hello

Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7 consoles.

i do understand that f7 is gui.

i have found*

http://wiki.debian.org/Console

and at that address there is not a writ on f1 through f7 default assignments.

i would assume f1 could be for admin purposes ?.

i would just like to get it strait.

and then contribute what i have found to that page for other neophytes.

thank you.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Jérôme

Le vendredi 29 mars 2013 à 05:49 -0700, james gray a écrit :
> hello
>
> Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7
> consoles.
>

> i do understand that f7 is gui.

Maybe history ( F7 is the 8th, 2³ ).

Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Nate Bargmann

* On 2013 29 Mar 07:51 -0500, james gray wrote:
> hello
>
> Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7 consoles.
>

> i do understand that f7 is gui.

As can be F8 and on depending on how many X displays are running. For
example, two users may log into X and switch between the sessions with
Ctl-Alt-F7/F8 or via desktop provided GUI controls.

> i have found
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Console
>
> and at that address there is not a writ on f1 through f7 default
> assignments.
>

> i would assume f1 could be for admin purposes ?.

Console 1 (F1) will have the bootup messages printed to it, but that is
the only thing that makes it special. VT 1 through 6 may be used for
any purpose, either admin (root) or normal user. If a graphical login
manager is not used, X may be launched from any one of those consoles
although on Debian it will use VT 7 first, by default.

> i would just like to get it strait.
>
> and then contribute what i have found to that page for other neophytes.

The defaults are just what will be found after a fresh installation.
Local administration may change things around. :-)

- Nate

Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Bob Proulx

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Console 1 (F1) will have the bootup messages printed to it, but that is
> the only thing that makes it special.

This has been true in Debian up through Squeeze 6. But in the soon to
be released Wheezy 7 very unfortunately in my opinion the /sbin/getty
in the util-linux package has updated and it now clears the screen.
This default clearing of the screen erases the bootup messages from
vt1. In Wheezy and later the default will be that vt1 no longer
displays the bootup messages.

I add the /sbin/getty --noclear option in /etc/inittab at least to vt1
so that the boot messages are preserved as they were before.

Bob

Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Michael

Bob,

Many thanks for the interesting hint !

Another thing you could do is run console-log (and bootlogd)

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 02:15:55PM +0100, Jérôme wrote:
> > Question: what are the default use assigned to the f1 through f7
> > consoles.
> >

> > i do understand that f7 is gui.
>
> Maybe history ( F7 is the 8th, 2³ ).
What?