Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Freddie

Default wake on lan: power on no boot

I'm wanting to wake my philips freeline X10 (circa 2004) using wol.

I've enabled power on from PCI in the bios, and I've used ethtool and
/etc/network/interfaces to ensure that wake on magick packet is
enabled for eth0 on every boot. I can confirm this with

# ethtool eth0
(the laptop is connect to the router by an ethernet cable)

After powering off the laptop if I send a magick packet using
# wakeonlan -i <ip address> <mac address>
The laptop powers on (that is, the power led turns on and the DVD drive
spins up a couple of times) but nothing boots. I'm left with a blank
screen. It might also be relevant that a usb peripheral (a sound card, in
this case) doesn't power on even though it would normally power on at
around the same time as the DVD drive spinning up during a normal
(non-wol) boot.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie

Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Guillaume Lécroart

Hi,
Sometimes, the Bios holds a separate boot-order list when powering-up from PCI/LAN. You may want to re-check this.
Guillaume

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.02.1303260023040.21207@eeepc.Belkin

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Freddie