Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Using an AX88772-based USB Ethernet device

Hi,

When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device to
my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration seem
to take place.

Am I being caught by this old bug:
(as suggested in a thread here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)

Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking before
this device will work?

Q.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

On 03/21/2013 05:32 PM, sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:
> When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
> ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device to
> my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration seem
> to take place.
>
> Am I being caught by this old bug:
> (as suggested in a thread here:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)
>
> Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
> install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking before
> this device will work?

if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns

greetings

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

> Hi,
>
> On 03/21/2013 05:32 PM, sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:
>> When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
>> ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device
>> my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration
>> seem
>> to take place.
>>
>> Am I being caught by this old bug:
>> (as suggested in a thread here:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)
>>
>> Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
>> install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking
>> before
>> this device will work?
>>

> if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns

Sorry, it turns out the issue was that I'd disabled my USB ports in the
BIOS. Man I hate it when I miss something simple like that?

Ok, it shows up in lsusb now as follows:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772

It doesn't show up in ifconfig though. I just see my built-in Gb NIC
(eth0) and the loopback. What step am I missing now?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:

On 03/21/2013 05:32 PM, sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:

When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device
my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration
seem
to take place.

if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns

Sorry, it turns out the issue was that I'd disabled my USB ports in the
BIOS. Man I hate it when I miss something simple like that…
Ok, it shows up in lsusb now as follows:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
It doesn't show up in ifconfig though. I just see my built-in Gb NIC
(eth0) and the loopback. What step am I missing now?

on a terminal, enter "dmesg" it will show you the kernel output, and the
output will tell whats going on.

maybe some firmware is missing?

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org

Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM

> Hi,
>
> sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:

>>> if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns
>
>> Sorry, it turns out the issue was that I'd disabled my USB ports in the
>> BIOS. Man I hate it when I miss something simple like that?
>> Ok, it shows up in lsusb now as follows:
>> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
>> It doesn't show up in ifconfig though. I just see my built-in Gb NIC
>> (eth0) and the loopback. What step am I missing now?
>
> on a terminal, enter "dmesg" it will show you the kernel output, and the
> output will tell whats going on.
>
> maybe some firmware is missing?

Ah, it turns out Debian defaults to turning off the interface when first
connected. Dmesg showed the device was recognised fine and assigned
"eth1", "ifconfig -a" revealed it was recognised but off, so I did
"ifconfig eth1 up" and now it's displayed in "ifconfig".

Thanks for the help. Sorry it was such a banal issue