-   -   Using an AX88772-based USB Ethernet device (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/712942-using-ax88772-based-usb-ethernet-device.html)

03-21-2013 03:32 PM

Using an AX88772-based USB Ethernet device

Hi,

When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device to
my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration seem
to take place.

Am I being caught by this old bug:
(as suggested in a thread here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)

Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking before
this device will work?

Q.

Florian Reitmeir 03-21-2013 04:26 PM

On 03/21/2013 05:32 PM, sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:
> When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
> ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device to
> my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration seem
> to take place.
>
> Am I being caught by this old bug:
> (as suggested in a thread here:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)
>
> Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
> install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking before
> this device will work?

if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns

greetings

03-22-2013 02:58 PM

Using an AX88772-based USB Ethernet device

> Hi,
>
> On 03/21/2013 05:32 PM, sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:
>> When I researched this purchase I thought I read that AX88772-based
>> ethernet devices were supported by Debian, but when I attach the device
>> my laptop nothing shows up in lsusb, nor does any auto-configuration
>> seem
>> to take place.
>>
>> Am I being caught by this old bug:
>> (as suggested in a thread here:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/217364/does-ubuntu-12-10-support-asix-ax88772-ethernet-controller-chip-out-of-the-box)
>>
>> Or am I just expecting too much automagic behaviour from my headless
>> install of 6.0.7, ie. are there additional steps I should be taking
>> before
>> this device will work?
>>

> if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns

Sorry, it turns out the issue was that I'd disabled my USB ports in the
BIOS. Man I hate it when I miss something simple like that?

Ok, it shows up in lsusb now as follows:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772

It doesn't show up in ifconfig though. I just see my built-in Gb NIC
(eth0) and the loopback. What step am I missing now?

Florian Reitmeir 03-22-2013 03:27 PM

[...]

on a terminal, enter "dmesg" it will show you the kernel output, and the
output will tell whats going on.

maybe some firmware is missing?

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org

03-22-2013 03:59 PM

Using an AX88772-based USB Ethernet device

> Hi,
>
> sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:

>>> if its not shown in LSUSB, then look at dmesg, what the kernel returns
>
>> Sorry, it turns out the issue was that I'd disabled my USB ports in the
>> BIOS. Man I hate it when I miss something simple like that?
>> Ok, it shows up in lsusb now as follows:
>> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
>> It doesn't show up in ifconfig though. I just see my built-in Gb NIC
>> (eth0) and the loopback. What step am I missing now?
>
> on a terminal, enter "dmesg" it will show you the kernel output, and the
> output will tell whats going on.
>
> maybe some firmware is missing?

Ah, it turns out Debian defaults to turning off the interface when first
connected. Dmesg showed the device was recognised fine and assigned
"eth1", "ifconfig -a" revealed it was recognised but off, so I did
"ifconfig eth1 up" and now it's displayed in "ifconfig".

Thanks for the help. Sorry it was such a banal issue :)