Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Default Sleep on absence of LAN activity, then WOMP

Hi,

I performed a web search and could only find a post from 2008, and it had
no responses.

Debian 6.0.7 on a Dell Latitude D830 acting as a privoxy/SSH/NTP server.
CLI only.

First: is it possible to sleep or suspend from the CLI? No GUI installed
at all, nor is one wanted. I'm not looking for data to be written to the
HDD, a la "hibernation".

Second: if so, can I alternatively tell it to sleep after an absence of
activity from my LAN, with WOMP/WOL? (Wake-on-Magic-Packet)

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 AM
"Marc Nozell (marc@nozell.com)"

Take a look at pm-hibernate, hp-suspend, etc from the pm-utils package.

-marc

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/44955.82.44.24.160.1363656744.squirrel@lavabit.com

--
Marc Nozell (marc@nozell.com) http://www.nozell.com/blog

Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM

Aargh, I remember pm-utils now. Woops. Thanks for the remind.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Bob Proulx

sirquijote@lavabit.com wrote:
> First: is it possible to sleep or suspend from the CLI? No GUI installed
> at all, nor is one wanted. I'm not looking for data to be written to the
> HDD, a la "hibernation".

As already suggested there is pm-hibernate and pm-suspend. For an
alternative see s2disk and s2ram.

> Second: if so, can I alternatively tell it to sleep after an absence of
> activity from my LAN, with WOMP/WOL? (Wake-on-Magic-Packet)

I use the 'sleepd' package to suspend after an idle period when on
battery.

And of course WOL is a hardware and BIOS feature of your machine.

Bob

Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Shay Tosan

can you please send me email address to unsubscribe from this email list.
thanks in advance...
I don't know how I started this emails