Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Klaus Wacker

Default Different keyboards

I have an IBM Thinkpad T60 which I also use as desktop computer in a
docking station, which has an externel keyboard (PS/2) and
monitor. Unfortunately, the internal keyboard has a German layout,
whereas the external one (an IBM Model M) has a US layout.

Is there a way to automatically distinguish between the two, maybe
using different /dev's in different InputDevice sections in
xorg.conf? I haven't found anything obvious.

What I do now: I have defined aliases for the appropriate setxkbmap
commands to switch between the layouts. But I can use them only after
login and after opening a console. That means, e.g., I have to type my
password sometimes in the wrong layout.

The system is Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS.

--
Klaus Wacker klaus.wacker@udo.edu