-   -   Toshiba satellite L750-170 locking up (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/712802-toshiba-satellite-l750-170-locking-up.html)

Chris Evans 02-14-2013 08:22 AM

Toshiba satellite L750-170 locking up

Following on from my earlier post, I fear I'm not at all in the clear with Debian (squeeze with backports) on this machine. What's now happening happened when I had Ubuntu 12.04 on it for a while before its hard disc died completely so one thing I can say is that, assuming it IS the same issue, it's happened on two completely different hard discs.

What happens is that the machine is running fine and then locks completely. It's happened three times now in the last 24 hours, once when I was at the machine, twice when I wasn't. The screen stays on and on the first occasion I could still move the mouse but clicking did nothing nor did typing anything, on the other two occasions the the screen was black but that could have been after the timeout had blacked it out and again no keyboard movements did anything. I've given my android 'phone an ssh client and can confirm that on these last two occasions I can't ssh in from outside either: the machine has dropped the network.

When I reboot a see a message that comes up just before a screen handling shift from a very simple 80x40 chars/lines mode to a smaller font mode, i.e. quite early in the boot shortly after unlocking my main / which is luks encrypted. That message, and there are several apparently similar or identical lines of it, says that as SCSI connection is not writeable or words to that effect. That's not in dmesg after the reboot but this is:

root@tosh:/home/chris# dmesg | grep -i ext3
[ 17.122554] EXT3-fs (dm-1): recovery required on readonly filesystem
[ 17.122557] EXT3-fs (dm-1): write access will be enabled during recovery
[ 20.728862] EXT3-fs (dm-1): orphan cleanup on readonly fs
[ 20.728866] ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 43686986
[ 20.728892] ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 26552249
[ 20.728901] ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 26552237
[ 20.728910] ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 26552214
[ 20.728916] ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 26552211

and quite a lot more lines like those last five.

I don't know if this is the right place to bring this but thought it was worth a try here. Do suggest other places as well. Current kernel, not tampered with and from backports, is:
3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.35-2~bpo60+1 i686 GNU/Linux

TIA,

Chris

Jakub Ambrożewicz 02-14-2013 06:37 PM

Dnia 2013-02-14, czw o godzinie 09:22 +0000, Chris Evans pisze:
> What happens is that the machine is running fine and then locks
> completely. It's happened three times now in the last 24 hours, once
> when I was at the machine, twice when I wasn't. The screen stays on
> and on the first occasion I could still move the mouse but clicking
> did nothing nor did typing anything, on the other two occasions the
> the screen was black but that could have been after the timeout had
> blacked it out and again no keyboard movements did anything. I've
> given my android 'phone an ssh client and can confirm that on these
> last two occasions I can't ssh in from outside either: the machine has
> dropped the network.
First thing, may be dull but I need to get it off my chest: is it not
overheating?

Second, back from the days of funny BIOSes and incorrectly behaving
hardware I remember having to run kernel with a combination of noapic,
nolapic, lapic, biosirq, acpi=off and others. Give them a try.

Quick look at modern kernels tells that there's now a lot more of other
options available...

Best regards,
--
Jakub

Chris Evans 02-15-2013 05:33 AM

Toshiba satellite L750-170 locking up

> Dnia 2013-02-14, czw o godzinie 09:22 +0000, Chris Evans pisze:
> > What happens is that the machine is running fine and then locks
> > completely. It's happened three times now in the last 24 hours,
> > once
> > when I was at the machine, twice when I wasn't. The screen stays
> > on
> > and on the first occasion I could still move the mouse but clicking
> > did nothing nor did typing anything, on the other two occasions the
> > the screen was black but that could have been after the timeout had
> > blacked it out and again no keyboard movements did anything. I've
> > given my android 'phone an ssh client and can confirm that on these
> > last two occasions I can't ssh in from outside either: the machine
> > has
> > dropped the network.

> First thing, may be dull but I need to get it off my chest: is it not
> overheating?

Interesting. I think that may not be dull at all but useful. One thing I've noticed is that the machine was making more noise and I'm sure the noise is fan noise. I was puzzled by that but hadn't really connected with it. The machine is only ten months old, I wasn't pushing it at all at the times it crashed so can't be overheating. But maybe it is. I have now put a temperature monitor onto the gnome top bar so can watch that (though I have a horrible feeling that sometimes you need some pretty machine specific information for those things to give you accurate information.)

> Second, back from the days of funny BIOSes and incorrectly behaving
> hardware I remember having to run kernel with a combination of
> noapic,
> nolapic, lapic, biosirq, acpi=off and others. Give them a try.
>
> Quick look at modern kernels tells that there's now a lot more of
> other options available...

This too may be helpful. If I am right that the options would show in grub.cfg then I am running without any such options. Is there a sensible resource I can look at to see if any options might help (and, if so, how to add them to the call for the kernel)?

> Best regards,
> --
> Jakub

Many thanks,

Chris

Jakub Ambrożewicz 02-18-2013 07:38 PM

Dnia 2013-02-15, pią o godzinie 06:33 +0000, Chris Evans pisze:
> > Second, back from the days of funny BIOSes and incorrectly behaving
> > hardware I remember having to run kernel with a combination of
> > noapic,
> > nolapic, lapic, biosirq, acpi=off and others. Give them a try.
> >
> > Quick look at modern kernels tells that there's now a lot more of
> > other options available...
>
> This too may be helpful. If I am right that the options would show in
> grub.cfg then I am running without any such options. Is there a
> sensible resource I can look at to see if any options might help (and,
> if so, how to add them to the call for the kernel)?
Depends on the boot loader (and probably Debian version), in grub you
could add extra parameters to the kernel command line
in /etc/default/grub by appending them to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable.

Best regards,
--
Jakub