Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Harvey Kelly

Default Multimedia/Volume Keys Not Working

Hi everyone,

Running Wheezy and the multimedia/volume keys don't work in
Windowmaker (they work fine with Gnome and Xfce4), nor from the
console.

Using xev, it seems they've been mapped correctly (from an Arch wiki
page I ran this command):

xev | grep -A2 --line-buffered '^KeyRelease' | sed -n '/keycode
/s/^.*keycode ([0-9]*).* (.*, (.*)).*$/1 2/p'

Which gave me the output:

123 XF86AudioRaiseVolume
122 XF86AudioLowerVolume
121 XF86AudioMute

The Debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard/MultimediaKeys)
suggests mapping them with xmodmap - but that seems a little
redundant/wrong if xev is telling me they're already mapped (same with
xloadkeys).

I've tried installing/purging everything to do with Gnome (to get rid
of specifically pulseaudio), but that doesn't make any difference - l
even uninstalled ALSA and reinstalled with no joy.

Other function keys like brightness/dimming work fine, it's just the
volume up/down/mute that aren't working.

The card (according to alsamixer is a HDA Intel / Intel Cantiga HDMI).
Any help would be really appreciated.

Harvey

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Matthew Dawson

On February 11, 2013 05:42:16 PM Harvey Kelly wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Running Wheezy and the multimedia/volume keys don't work in
> Windowmaker (they work fine with Gnome and Xfce4), nor from the
> console.
>
> Using xev, it seems they've been mapped correctly (from an Arch wiki
> page I ran this command):
>
> xev | grep -A2 --line-buffered '^KeyRelease' | sed -n '/keycode
> /s/^.*keycode ([0-9]*).* (.*, (.*)).*$/1 2/p'
>
> Which gave me the output:
>
> 123 XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> 122 XF86AudioLowerVolume
> 121 XF86AudioMute
>
> The Debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard/MultimediaKeys)
> suggests mapping them with xmodmap - but that seems a little
> redundant/wrong if xev is telling me they're already mapped (same with
> xloadkeys).
>
> I've tried installing/purging everything to do with Gnome (to get rid
> of specifically pulseaudio), but that doesn't make any difference - l
> even uninstalled ALSA and reinstalled with no joy.
>
> Other function keys like brightness/dimming work fine, it's just the
> volume up/down/mute that aren't working.
>
> The card (according to alsamixer is a HDA Intel / Intel Cantiga HDMI).
> Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> Harvey

Hi Harvey,

I think your problem may occur because you have nothing listening to those key
strokes. Gnome, Xfce 4, and other DE's have programs that listen for those
key presses and respond accordingly. It shouldn't be realted to either ALSA
or pulseaudio. Do you have an appropriate program running that listens to
them (I've never used Windowmaker, so I don't know what it would use)?

Matthew

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Bob Proulx

Matthew Dawson wrote:
> Harvey Kelly wrote:
> > Running Wheezy and the multimedia/volume keys don't work in
> > Windowmaker (they work fine with Gnome and Xfce4), nor from the
> > console.
>
> I think your problem may occur because you have nothing listening to
> those key strokes. Gnome, Xfce 4, and other DE's have programs that
> listen for those key presses and respond accordingly. It shouldn't
> be realted to either ALSA or pulseaudio. Do you have an appropriate
> program running that listens to them (I've never used Windowmaker,
> so I don't know what it would use)?

You didn't say what laptop model you have but my ThinkPad needs the
'tpb' (think pad buttons) package installed to handle those
functions. Here is some documentation on it.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tpb

Perhaps your laptop is similar.

Bob

Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Harvey Kelly

Hi Matthew,

On 12 February 2013 19:50, Matthew Dawson <matthewjd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think your problem may occur because you have nothing listening to those key
> strokes. Gnome, Xfce 4, and other DE's have programs that listen for those
> key presses and respond accordingly. It shouldn't be realted to either ALSA
> or pulseaudio. Do you have an appropriate program running that listens to
> them (I've never used Windowmaker, so I don't know what it would use)?

Ah I see - sorry, that seems obvious now! No, I don't have anything
waiting to listen for keystrokes, I thought that facility came
directly from the kernel not the DE? And yup, I made sure I had the
right keyboard selected via dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration.

I've got a work-around functioning:
Using WPrefs I put the following commands...

amixer set Master 2%+
amixer set Master 2%-
amixer set Master toggle

... in menu items and bound shortcut keys to them. Frustratingly there
doesn't seem to be a config file for Windowmaker to add keyboard
shortcuts, everything has to be done through WPrefs (modifying
pre-existing ones).

Harvey

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Harvey Kelly

Hi Bob,

On 12 February 2013 20:08, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> You didn't say what laptop model you have but my ThinkPad needs the
> 'tpb' (think pad buttons) package installed to handle those
> functions.

It's a Compaq Presario CQ70 - I haven't been able to find anything on
it/its multimedia keys online.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Harvey Kelly

Just an update...

> On 12 February 2013 20:08, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>> You didn't say what laptop model you have but my ThinkPad needs the
>> 'tpb' (think pad buttons) package installed to handle those
>> functions.
> It's a Compaq Presario CQ70 - I haven't been able to find anything on
> it/its multimedia keys online.

Installed Fluxbox and the multimedia keys work fine straight 'out of
the box' - forgot how much I like Fluxbox/Blackbox! I used Blackbox
years and years ago, so will probably stick with Fluxbox. As you
probably guessed, I'm trying to stay away from the Gnome/KDE behemoth
model, which is why I installed WindowMaker a few days ago and then
Fluxbox.

I'm reluctant to label this as 'solved' as it seems the problem lays
with WindowMaker/WPrefs, meaning I have to put these three commands...

amixer set Master 2%+
amixer set Master 2%-
amixer set Master toggle

... in menu items and bind shortcut keys to them, which is maybe only
semi-solved?

Oh yeah, Fluxbox is so great.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 01:57:25PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> I'm reluctant to label this as 'solved' as it seems the problem lays
> with WindowMaker/WPrefs, meaning I have to put these three commands...
>
> amixer set Master 2%+
> amixer set Master 2%-
> amixer set Master toggle
>
> ... in menu items and bind shortcut keys to them, which is maybe only
> semi-solved?
If you don't already have a daemon that can listen to multimedia keys you
can use xbindkeys.

--
WBR, wRAR

Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Harvey Kelly

On 14 February 2013 14:31, Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@wrar.name> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 01:57:25PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
>> I'm reluctant to label this as 'solved' as it seems the problem lays
>> with WindowMaker/WPrefs, meaning I have to put these three commands...
>> amixer set Master 2%+
>> amixer set Master 2%-
>> amixer set Master toggle
>> ... in menu items and bind shortcut keys to them, which is maybe only
>> semi-solved?
> If you don't already have a daemon that can listen to multimedia keys you
> can use xbindkeys.

Yeah, I tried xbindkeys (it didn't work). In WindowMaker I ran this command:

xev | grep -A2 --line-buffered '^KeyRelease' | sed -n '/keycode
/s/^.*keycode ([0-9]*).* (.*, (.*)).*$/1 2/p'

Which gave me the output:

123 XF86AudioRaiseVolume
122 XF86AudioLowerVolume
121 XF86AudioMute

So the keys are being recognised with xev, just not picked up by
WindowMaker, whereas they are by Fluxbox. (My understanding is that
xbindkeys is used when say XF86AudioMute doesn't correspond to muting
the sound.)
Anyway, a few days ago I did try xbindkeys, and nothing happened with the sound.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:43:02PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> So the keys are being recognised with xev, just not picked up by
> WindowMaker
Should they?
if not, try xbindkeys.

> (My understanding is that xbindkeys is used when say XF86AudioMute
> doesn't correspond to muting the sound.)
xbindkeys doesn't know anything about sound.

> Anyway, a few days ago I did try xbindkeys, and nothing happened with the sound.
Did you configure xbindkeys to change the volume? Are you sure the command
didn't run?

--
WBR, wRAR

Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Harvey Kelly

Hi there,

>> So the keys are being recognised with xev, just not picked up by
>> WindowMaker
> Should they?

I have no idea.

> if not, try xbindkeys.

I did :-)

>> Anyway, a few days ago I did try xbindkeys, and nothing happened with the sound.
> Did you configure xbindkeys to change the volume? Are you sure the command
> didn't run?

I was sure it was running, and configured correctly.

This is a bit of a moot point now anyway, Fluxbox is installed and
tweaked/configured, WindowMaker was un-installed a couple of days ago.

Thanks.