Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Facundo Aguirre

Default Multimedia/Volume Keys Not Working

Hi Harvey,

I have a HP dv5 and had exactly the same issue, but with dwm.

I finally got it working with xbindkeys. It installs the file
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/98xbindkeys, so xbindkeys is started with X.

You can use xbindkeys-config for a graphical configuration.

My .xbdinkeysrc for those keys is (using cmus as music player):

# (un)mute
"amixer -c0 set Master toggle"
m:0x0 + c:121
# XF86AudioMute

# volume up
"amixer -c0 set Master 1+ unmute"
Shift + m:0x0 + c:123
# XF86AudioRaiseVolume

# volume down
"amixer -c0 set Master 1-"
Shift + m:0x0 + c:122
# XF86AudioLowerVolume

# more volume up
"amixer -c0 set Master 10+ unmute"
m:0x0 + c:123
# XF86AudioRaiseVolume

# more volume down
"amixer -c0 set Master 10-"
m:0x0 + c:122
# XF86AudioLowerVolume

# play / pause
"cmus-remote -u"
m:0x0 + c:172
# XF86AudioPlay

# stop
"cmus-remote -s"
m:0x0 + c:174
# XF86AudioStop

# next
"cmus-remote -n"
m:0x0 + c:171
# XF86AudioNext

Facundo

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Harvey Kelly

Hi Facundo,

Thanks for that. I did actually try xbindkeys before, and I was sure
my config was correct, but obviously I was wrong: I didn't point at
the card like you did (with -c0) and think there's where I went wrong
as everything else in your rc file is identical to my .xbindkeysrc.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone who tried to help - especially
Andrey Rahmatul who tried insisting I give xbindkeys another go! :-)