Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Damjan Zemljič

Default wheezy on Acer Aspire One 725

Hi,

trying to make USB flash image to install on mentioned hardware, but without success. USB is not recognized as bootable media.

However, the same USB can be used to create Ubuntu flash image, it boots, installs etc.... and it renders unbootable after the update. But that's another - Ubuntu story.

Steps taken:

wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_beta4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-wheezy-DI-b4-amd64-netinst.iso

wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

plugged in USB and assured it is not mounted

zcat boot.img.gz > /path-to-usb-dev

mount & copy iso to usb root folder

Where is the bug?

TIA,

Damjan

Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Jérôme

Le samedi 08 décembre 2012 * 13:34 +0100, Damjan Zemljič a écrit :

> Steps taken:
> wget
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_beta4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-wheezy-DI-b4-amd64-netinst.iso
> wget
> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
>
> plugged in USB and assured it is not mounted
>
> zcat boot.img.gz > /path-to-usb-dev
>
> mount & copy iso to usb root folder
>
> Where is the bug?

between chair and keyboard ?
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.fr#usb-copy-isohybrid

^_^;

Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Damjan Zemljič

Hi,
thank you all for the hints (and great humor, Jerome), however, it
didn't help. Btw. I've tried with dd before too, but the result is known.

What has been done so far:
- wheezy CD 64 bit image iso is downloaded, md5sum is correct
- USB is formatted to FAT32 (tried with FAT16 too - but I guess BIOS
handles FAT32)
- dd (with bs=1M, 4M, none (defaulting to 512KB) / cat to device
corrupts the filesystem on a device
- after image "is written on a USB device" that USB is "readable" on
Linux, but not on Windows (and BIOS). Disk Utility on Ubuntu reports
filesystem is not clean. Tried with GParted to fix the filesystem,
without success.
- tried to write to the device while mounted/unmounted. Is there any
difference if device file is stated as a target?

Can anyone create bootable USB with *wheezy* bits for yourself?

Regards,
Damjan

Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Jérôme

Le mardi 11 décembre 2012 * 22:07 +0100, Damjan Zemljič a écrit :
> Hi,
> thank you all for the hints (and great humor, Jerome),

(^_^);

> however, it
> didn't help. Btw. I've tried with dd before too, but the result is known.
>
> What has been done so far:
> - wheezy CD 64 bit image iso is downloaded, md5sum is correct
> - USB is formatted to FAT32 (tried with FAT16 too - but I guess BIOS
> handles FAT32)
> - dd (with bs=1M, 4M, none (defaulting to 512KB) / cat to device
> corrupts the filesystem on a device
> - after image "is written on a USB device" that USB is "readable" on
> Linux, but not on Windows (and BIOS). Disk Utility on Ubuntu reports
> filesystem is not clean. Tried with GParted to fix the filesystem,
> without success.
> - tried to write to the device while mounted/unmounted. Is there any
> difference if device file is stated as a target?
>
> Can anyone create bootable USB with *wheezy* bits for yourself?
>
> Regards,
> Damjan

# umount /dev/sdb

# dd if=debian-wheezy-DI-b4-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb && sync
453504+0 enregistrements lus
453504+0 enregistrements écrits
232194048 octets (232 MB) copiés, 58,6602 s, 4,0 MB/s

# fdisk -l
[...]
Disque /dev/sdb : 4040 Mo, 4040724480 octets
125 têtes, 62 secteurs/piste, 1018 cylindres, total 7892040 secteurs
Unités = secteurs de 1 * 512 = 512 octets
Taille de secteur (logique / physique) : 512 octets / 512 octets
taille d'E/S (minimale / optimale) : 512 octets / 512 octets
Identifiant de disque : 0x790b9a4c

Périphérique Amorce Début Fin Blocs Id Système
/dev/sdb1 * 64 452607 226272 17 HPFS/NTFS
masquée
/dev/sdb2 452608 453503 448 1 FAT12

# mount |grep sdb
/dev/sdb2 on /media/Debian wheezy-DI-b4 amd64 1 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask= 0022,dmask=0077,
codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,show exec,utf8,flush,
errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)

# ls -l /media/Debian wheezy-DI-b4 amd64 1
total 2,0K
drwx------ 3 azuki azuki 2,0K nov. 18 12:38 efi/

My key work on reboot. Perhaps your USB key is defective ?

P.S. After USB install, look at /etc/fstab and remove sdb line.
Otherwise auto mount don't work.

Best regards