-   -   No sound on earphones after setting up HDMI (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/688274-no-sound-earphones-after-setting-up-hdmi.html)

Otto 07-28-2012 12:57 AM

No sound on earphones after setting up HDMI

Hi,
I just can't hear anything from my earphones.The notebook is a Lenovo�G460-06777VP, which has this soundcard:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)

Today I was trying to set up HDMI to connect to the laptop. The video output was fine, but the audio one was not.
I had to run the following commands to make audio work:

# m-a update#�m-a prepare
#�m-a a-i -t alsa-source

This last one downloaded and compiled something.

I also had to create file /etc/asound.conf containing the following line:
pcm.!default hdmi:Intel

Finally, HDMI video and audio were fine.

Later, I removed the HDMI cable and decided to use the earphones. Now they simply output nothing!
I removed the /etc/asound.conf file and still have no sound. Rebooted and nothing.

The laptop speaker is fine, the earphone too. The sound port is fine, too (I booted using a LiveCD).

How can this be fixed? Thanks.

"Carl Fink" 07-28-2012 01:00 AM

No sound on earphones after setting up HDMI

I'd suggest checking alsamixer and/or gnome-alsamixer and make sure the
appropriate jacks (on my system, "front") have not been muted.

Carl

--
Carl Fink carl@finknetwork.com

Otto 07-28-2012 02:24 PM

No sound on earphones after setting up HDMI

> I'd suggest checking alsamixer and/or gnome-alsamixer and make sure the> appropriate jacks (on my system, "front") have not been muted.
I have Master, PCM, S/PDIF, S/PIDF Defa, S/PDIF 1, S/PDIF 2.

Master and PCM aren't muted (I hear sound from the speakers).All those S/PDIF (which I have no idea what they are) are muted and I even if I unmute, I can't raise them from zero.

In Gnome panel they appear as checkboxes called IEC958, IEC958 Default PCM, IEC958 1 and IEC958 2 (I believe they're the same).

> you could also try to unload the HDMI sound module and load the intel
> sound module.> #rmmod snd-hda-intel-hdmi>> #modprobe snd-hda-intel
Here it is:root@motavia:/home/otto# rmmod snd-hda-intel-hdmi
ERROR: Module snd_hda_intel_hdmi does not exist in /proc/modulesroot@motavia:/home/otto# modprobe snd-hda-intelroot@motavia:/home/otto#
Nothing changed.

One thing I noted is that the mute LED on the laptop is on (brighter than the others) and only gets off when I actually press it and mute. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't remember it being that way.*

--

Carl Fink * * * * * carl@finknetwork.com