Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Paul Zimmerman

Default sl-modem-daemon unreliable

After much struggle I've got the sl-modem-daemon working on my laptop. It's an Everex Stepnote NM3500W, with the VIA P4M800 motherboard chipset. This includes the integrated AC97 sound and modem features. Though it works most of the time, it's very unreliable and unpredictable. Connections are not nearly as consistent as with an external modem. On the same line which reliably gives a 46.5k to 48k connection with an external modem, it will often fall back to 33.6k or even 28.8k connection speed. So I am wondering if there might be some sources of advice or technical hints about using the sl-modem-daemon with this specific chipset? I have found some online references for the Smartlink commands, but these are always generic. Surely people who have been using this driver with the VIA AC97 function have accumulated some specific knowledge?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 PM
"A. F. Cano"

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 04:22:21PM -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> After much struggle I've got the sl-modem-daemon working on my laptop.
> It's an Everex Stepnote NM3500W, with the VIA P4M800 motherboard chipset.

On my Dell Inspiron 8600, lshw says:

product: 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller

> This includes the integrated AC97 sound and modem features. Though it
> works most of the time, it's very unreliable and unpredictable.

Even though I don't use the modem for data connections, I use it as an
answering machine with vgetty/mgetty. I too had problems of reliability
and predictability.

> Connections are not nearly as consistent as with an external modem.
> On the same line which reliably gives a 46.5k to 48k connection
> with an external modem, it will often fall back to 33.6k or even
> 28.8k connection speed. So I am wondering if there might be some

Your problem might be different, but I solved my reliability problems
with this script:

# This script takes care of reloading the modem driver in the proper
# order
# This is necessary because the snd-intel8x0m gets loaded first and the
# slamr driver then is not. The modprobe slamr removes the
# snd-intel8x0m
# driver

/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon stop
sleep 1
modprobe -v slamr
sleep 1
/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon start
sleep 1
telinit q

That is called from /etc/rc.local

> sources of advice or technical hints about using the sl-modem-daemon
> with this specific chipset? I have found some online references for the
> Smartlink commands, but these are always generic. Surely people who have
> been using this driver with the VIA AC97 function have accumulated some
> specific knowledge?

A.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Paul Zimmerman

"A. F. Cano" <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:
>Your problem might be different, but I solved my reliability
>problems with this script:

Interesting that your problem was related to module loading.
There was a major problem on my system with module loading...
It always loaded all of the available modules! Can't figure
out why it was doing that. Must be some sort of problem with
recognizing the hardware. I located the module directory and
renamed the two that were unnecessary. Now only the proper
module, snd-via82xx-modem, is loaded. But the connections it
makes are still unreliable. So, I was hoping that someone
would know about what modem commands to use for the best
reliability. There don't seem to be any options related to

My system doesn't even have the slamr module. The slmodemd
creates ttySL0 and that seems to work. Does the slamr module
have some special affinity with the slmodemd? If it would
make my softmodem work properly, I could go to the trouble
of compiling and installing it. But right now I don't know
of any reason it would be different from the default ttySL0
that it creates for itself.