Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Matthias Rappe

Default Debian-installation ran into difficulties with old CDRW-drive

Dear Reader,

I'd like to run linux on my old laptop. Since the native CD-drive
will not work anymore, I installed Debian 3.0 via floppies (20 pieces).
I like to install some more software, but this old laptop does
not support usb, and I lack an ethernet-card.

However, I also have a CDRW-drive attached to a pcmcia card. But I don't
get it to be acknowledged by the pcmciautils. Is it possible that this
ipc5025 needs a special, maybe proprietary driver in order to work?

Matthias

Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Franklin PIAT

Hello,

Google can't find "ipc5025"...

Which identifiers does the pcmciautils tools (/sbin/lspcmcia
or /sbin/pccardctl) list ?

Franklin

On lenny, when I run the new tool (pccardctl info), I have some thing
like :
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255

Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Matthias Rappe

Moin.
Thank you for answering to me!

Am Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:02:28AM +0200, blickte mich Franklin PIAT mit:

> Google can't find "???ipc5025"...

It's the Toshiba IPC 5025 A

> Which identifiers does the ???pcmciautils tools (/sbin/lspcmcia
> or /sbin/pccardctl) list ?

On this machine, I think 3.0 is called woody, the cardctl ident comand
only issues values of the attached scsi-bus, i.e. the pcmcia card, but
not about the attched CDRW drive as far as I understand the messages:

socket0:
product info: "KME", "SCSI-CARD-001","1"
manfid: 0x0032, 0x2604

The status message reads: [ready] [up]

So, I conclude the card is fine. While doing "eject" and "insert" the
selftest of the drive gave notable sound.

mount gives me: "kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as block device"

I don't have a clue which modul the is needed, Matthias

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Franklin PIAT

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 12:29 +0200, Matthias Rappe wrote:
> Moin.
> Thank you for answering to me!
>

> Am Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:02:28AM +0200, blickte mich Franklin PIAT mit:
> >
> > Google can't find "???ipc5025"...
> >

> It's the Toshiba IPC 5025 A
>
> > Which identifiers does the ???pcmciautils tools (/sbin/lspcmcia
> > or /sbin/pccardctl) list ?
> >

> On this machine, I think 3.0 is called woody, the cardctl ident comand
> only issues values of the attached scsi-bus, i.e. the pcmcia card, but
> not about the attched CDRW drive as far as I understand the messages:
>
> socket0:
> product info: "KME", "SCSI-CARD-001","1"
> manfid: 0x0032, 0x2604
>
> The status message reads: [ready] [up]

According to the page http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10123.html , the
driver "aha152x_cs" should work.

In the file /etc/pcmcia/config you should already have :
> card "Adaptec APA-1460 SlimSCSI"
> version "Adaptec, Inc.", "APA-1460 SCSI Host Adapter"
> bind "aha152x_cs"

Under it, you add :

card "PCMCIA CDWriter - SCSI bus"
manfid: 0x0032, 0x2604
bind "aha152x_cs"

Then restart pcmcia with "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart"

If everything goes fine, the (SCSI) device should be detected
(check /proc/scsi/scsi).
If you do have it, the cdrom should be available under /dev/scd0. But
you _might_ have to create /dev/scd manually, with something like
cd /dev ; mknod scd0 b 11 0 ; chgrp cdrom /dev/scd0 nl -s cdrom scd0

If everything went fine, "mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom" should then work.

Franklin

[1] http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_linux_tips.html

Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Matthias Rappe

Very useful tips you are giving. still,unfortunately I am not successful. The
device never shows up in the proc-fs.

Does the word "bind" in the config file initiate the loading of the
module, doesn't it?

Matthias

Am Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:18:50PM +0200, blickte mich Franklin PIAT mit:

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Franklin PIAT

Hello,

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 22:56 +0200, Matthias Rappe wrote:
> Very useful tips you are giving. still,unfortunately I am not successful. The
> device never shows up in the proc-fs.
First, check if the module aha152x_cs is loaded.
If yo do, check if you have an scsi host in /proc/scsi
If you do, check if you have an SCSI device in /proc/scsi/scsi
then check procfs.

But I've re-read the page i mentioned
(http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10123.html). I think I read it wrong...
the correct driver seems to be the "nin_cs".

Read /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/scsi/NinjaSCSI.txt.gz
for instructions.

> Does the word "bind" in the config file initiate the loading of the
> module, doesn't it?
yep.

Franklin