-   -   Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/675171-models-asus-acer-laptops-compatible-debian-6-a.html)

jnjb 06-20-2012 09:17 PM

Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6?

on squeze i dont knobut i have an aer aspire one 753 who run whell on
wheeze just have ton install wireless from module-assistant
broadcom-sta, network video ... run well

Le 20/06/2012 22:26, Pranav a crit :

Hello everybody,

I want to buy an ASUS or ACER laptop to run Debian 6(or Ubuntu) on it.

I am not into gaming and neither work with multimedia applications. I
just want the X system(graphical desktop) to work well.

Because I work online, I want the LAN card and sound card to work 'out
of box' or without much tweaking( I am not a linux expert).

1) *** Can anybody please suggest specific models of ASUS or ACER
laptops to buy(which fit in the above mentioned criteria)? ***

2) *** Please also tell me, as to what happens, if we are not able to
find the required driver in Debian/Ubuntu Linux for the graphics card?
Will just 3D acceleration not work or will the system lose all its
graphical processing capabilities including processing of the X
system(graphical desktop)? ***

3) *** Is any of the following two cards supported under Debian 6 /
Ubuntu linux? ***
a) Intel HD 3000
b) NV GT 610M 2G DDR3 VRAM
Are Nvidia cards better supported in Debian linux or Intel
graphics cards?

Thanking you,
Pranav

Dan Ritter 06-21-2012 02:36 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:56:36AM +0530, Pranav wrote:

> 3) *** Is any of the following two cards supported under Debian 6 /
> Ubuntu linux? ***
> a) Intel HD 3000
> b) NV GT 610M 2G DDR3 VRAM
> Are Nvidia cards better supported in Debian linux or Intel
> graphics cards?

Both are well supported. The Intel will work with less fuss,
with open-source drivers, and will probably cause you fewer
problems. The NVidia has better performance, but if you aren't
playing games, that won't matter at all.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.

Pranav 06-21-2012 03:10 PM

Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6?

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Pranav.

Jrme 06-21-2012 07:36 PM

Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6?

> Are Nvidia cards better supported in Debian linux or Intel
> graphics cards?

I have an acer TimelineX 4820 (pretty good batery life)
and Asus N53SV (standard battery life)
with 2 graphic chipset : Intel/ATI and Intel/Nvidia optimus

Acer work with VgaSwitcheroo

Asus with optimus chipset work with
http://bumblebee-project.org/

together require kernel 3 (backport) but it's more easy to use wheezy or
Sid.

I had testing Bumblebee with Fedora17 (kernel 3.4), it is also ok.

06-25-2012 08:40 PM

Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6?

its all easy wheezy, sid ;-}

dave moscrip

--
GNU -- its Freedom, baby YEAH!!!

07-07-2012 03:16 PM

o Pranav <vanarp@gmail.com>:

> I want to buy an ASUS or ACER laptop to run Debian 6(or Ubuntu) on it.

I own an Aspire 3628AWXMi since 2006, and Debian/Stable support was nearly
perfect as of lenny (5.0) (nearly, because audio recording is flawed).

I didn't managed to get HDTV running smoothly, though.

Second Hand devices are about 120 EU bucks.

flori

Ricardo Nunes 07-07-2012 03:41 PM

Which models of ASUS or ACER laptops are compatible with Debian 6?

hello,

i have this one and it works great with debian http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/A52F/

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120707Z170656@in.ne.xdff.de

--
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
Benjamin Franklin

Always use Free Software/Open Source Software (http://www.gnu.org)

GNU/Linux is an operating system, entirely free, as in Freedom/Livre
http://www.tuxradar.com/newtolinux

Open source software alternatives to well-known commercial software - http://www.osalt.com/

Firefox - Rediscover the web - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Please dont send me m$-office attachments, use instead an open file format such as the one provided by OpenOffice.org or PDF (http://www.openoffice.org * http://pt.openoffice.org/ * http://www.odfalliance.org/)

O meu Blog "O Vigia" - http://ovigia.wordpress.com/
GnuPG/PGP - 1024D/AD29C160 - http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEDEC8399AD29C160