Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Deryk Barker

Default dhclient problem with BMC4312

On 09/05/12 15:05, Boris Bobrov wrote:

Ð’ Ñ?ообщении от Thursday 10 of May 2012 02:29:12 Francisco напиÑ?ал:

Hi all,

i have a problem trying to do dhclient to the wifi interface, i can
associate the ap, the problem is when i try to do dhclient, And i get No
DHCPOFFERS received. I'm sure my modem works cause i'm sending this mail
thru this connection. I've read documentation from kernel and wiki debian
manual about how to load wl module and b43 and i get the same result.

Here is some vital information:

Device
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g
LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

kernel
Linux Debian 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:01:19 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

I've been doing a lot of things trying to make it works, but it seems they
have been not enough yet.

Which, for example?
Have you installed the firmware? If yes, how?

The current status is that it's giving me when i try to do: ifconfig wlan0
up

[ 7258.112884] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

This wifi adapter is from one Dell inspiron mini

Best regards

I'd also suggest you to upgrade your kernel to the one from backports. I have
similar card and it works fine on 3.2.

I think your firmware suggestion is probably the right one. I've owned a
succession of laptops/netbooks all with some variant of the broadcom
43xx chipset.

There are two versions of the firmware. The simplest way to achieve
liftoff is to connect to the internet via a wire just one time and
install the firmware-b43-installer the package, which downloads the
firmware and installs it. (If it is, as the log entry would suggest, a
"lp-phy" version of the chipset, it will tell you to install
firmware-b43-lp-phy-installer - I think that's the name, which does the
trick for that chipset).

After which rmmod b43 followed by modprobe b43 will reload the kernel
module which will load the firmware and everything should be OK.

Worked a treat for me a couple of weeks ago on my HP netbook, which is
running the Mint Debian Edition.

deryk
--
Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept.
Camosun College, Victoria, BC

Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Boris Bobrov

В сообщении от Thursday 10 of May 2012 04:48:10 Deryk написал:
> I think your firmware suggestion is probably the right one. I've owned a
> succession of laptops/netbooks all with some variant of the broadcom
> 43xx chipset.
>
> There are two versions of the firmware. The simplest way to achieve
> liftoff is to connect to the internet via a wire just one time and
> install the firmware-b43-installer the package, which downloads the
> firmware and installs it. (If it is, as the log entry would suggest, a
> "lp-phy" version of the chipset, it will tell you to install
> firmware-b43-lp-phy-installer - I think that's the name, which does the
> trick for that chipset).
>
> After which rmmod b43 followed by modprobe b43 will reload the kernel
> module which will load the firmware and everything should be OK.
>
> Worked a treat for me a couple of weeks ago on my HP netbook, which is
> running the Mint Debian Edition.

Well, I was not able to make b43 run on 2.6.32. Only 2.6.33 and later.

--
WBR,
Boris.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
cappapa

[...]

Have you tried this STA driver?

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I use it with 2.6.32 kernel without any problem.

Regards,
Cappa.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Robert Black

Did you make sure you have a dchp client installed? I deleted mine during package upgrades and when I had a power outage the machine would not connect to the net.
There are about 4 different ones.
Rob