-   -   can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/647455-cant-get-iceweasel-work-my-laptop.html)

Michael 03-21-2012 09:31 PM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Tina,

Since debugging wireless can be tedious especially under this circumstances (newbie and mailing list), i suggest go to the person who prepared the laptop, and ask her to configure it for you.

Michael 03-21-2012 10:13 PM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Tina,

> I do not have the root or admin passwords and have not been able to get them.

That's another problem.

If the installed software really already is 2y old, then consider a totally new installation. It could possibly solve your problems 'on-the-fly' but there is no guarantee, and usually requires help by someone experienced to be finally successful.

I'd download and burn a recent Debian Linux installation-CD, and boot this CD and follow the instructions. Let it wipe out your old installation, but backup your working data and account data first (on memory stick or burn to CD) - you would need to restore these in the working new installation, from the backup. later. It may include reconfigure your accounts in some applications like skype, email, whatever (note this is only the access data stored on your laptop, like password and login, of course you do not touch at all your mail account at yahoo)

Doing this 'net-install' requires reliable internet access during the process, meaning cable connection, to finish the installation. Instead of trying by wireless, it is highly recommended to go to some place where you can plug in a cable.

Your laptop probably have a 32bit Processor, so you would chose this file (download and burn:)

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-i386-netinst.iso

but i recommend to check first if this is really true. The alternative is 64bit and there the respective installer would be
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/ia64/iso-cd/debian-testing-ia64-netinst.iso
(assuming your laptop have an Intel processor, see 'intel inside' sticker.)

I'm not sure what's the best way for you to find out this spec, unless it's not mentioned on some label or in the manual. Maybe you can find your laptop specs online. Maybe you have the 'cpuid' command (from a command terminal) available.

Note that i recommended the 'testing' version of Debian here. Despite its name, it should run fine, and the 'stable' version is rather old right now. If there are bugs, they use to be minor and usually can be fixed with simple application update.

If you like to go that way, read http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst and print out or do notes from http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386 (for the installation process, as seen by the user, the 32 / 64 bit question is rather irrelevant, it should be the same).

If your laptop is very important, or if you have NO TIME, then leave all this to an experienced linux user or expert. You may ask for help of a local linux user group, ask for someone dropping in at your place (or meetiung in some suitable, bright lighted populated place :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_User_Group
http://limestone.uoregon.edu/woven/lugww/
http://lug.org.uk/listings

Good luck ^^

Michael 03-21-2012 10:17 PM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

And by the way, if someone else likes to answer by explaining how to break root: Please don't do on public lists, and consider if that really solves anything.

Brandon Richards 03-21-2012 11:10 PM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Tina,

I would go even as far as to recommend Ubuntu. Easy install and no
problems accessing anything that you want. Website is:
http://www.ubuntu.com and you get 5GB of storage when you have ubuntu.
Just a thought.

Richard Hector 03-21-2012 11:11 PM

On 22/03/12 12:13, Michael wrote:

> but i recommend to check first if this is really true. The alternative is 64bit and there the respective installer would be
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/ia64/iso-cd/debian-testing-ia64-netinst.iso
> (assuming your laptop have an Intel processor, see 'intel inside' sticker.)

Er, no. The url would be
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd6/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-businesscard.iso

ie replace ia64 with amd64. ia64 is for Itanium machines, which is
mostly expensive servers.

I'm not convinced I'd go for a daily build, or the testing distro,
either, but that's another issue.

Richard

Michael 03-22-2012 12:16 AM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Richard,

> I'm not convinced I'd go for a daily build, or the testing distro, either, but that's another issue.

I used daily 'testing' installers more often and there never was a problem with the installer or base system. If there would be a minor bug with a desktop app, later. then you can update or change app.

It is strategic recommendation. I was using stable installers in the past and always ended up with upgrade to testing, then unstable, because i wanted more recent features. For example, latest video codecs, or new website features (css3, html5, flash). Especially big internet players never wait for Debian with their upgrades ... Then, upgrading from stable to testing can be quite cumbersome, since the distance can be huge, but from testing to unstable is not such a big deal.

Agreed, Ubuntu always is an option and the most popular. But over the last years, whenever i installed the latest Ubuntu (up to 11) for someone else (or did remote support), i found so many deficits and bugs, that i always ended up with installing better or less annoying apps, or just newer versions, and then the whole thing just sucks. And i finally switched back to plain Debian. It was rather surprising to me too.

But even inexperienced users have specific requirements (even when they got used to Windows or Ubuntu since long) and then you can adjust a plain Debian much easier. Like, resolving dependencies when upgrading certain packages (or all) to unstable.

Of course YMMV and there are good reasons for staying stable too. It's also true that even trivial problems can be mountain ranges for someone who no idea what's up.

> ie replace ia64 with amd64. ia64 is for Itanium machines, which is mostly expensive servers.
oops...so 'amd' is for intel too ? I always forget it and confuse it....sorry!

Michael 03-22-2012 12:19 AM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Ah, and it was Brandon, not Richard, yepp. Time to go to bed...

tina braxton 03-22-2012 12:21 AM

can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Dear New Friends,
*
Thank you for all these ideas.* It's great to have so much support.
*
Actually, I have tried two of the ideas suggested.
*
I have been unable to locate the person who put on the software.* The former owner cannot find him, either.
*
I have tried to install Ubuntu, but it won't install anything at all, not even updates,*without the root.* I tried to*reset the root, using several methods people have shown me, but none of them*worked.* It just kept asking me for the root.* I will also try a newer version of Debian, when I can get to someplace where I can plug in my cable.
*
I will try the other ideas y'all have suggested.**I think it does have an Intel processor.* Will look*at the sticker again, to make sure.
*
I'll look up the specs for my laptop.* The manufacturer would not provide anything, since the warranty is expired.* But*at least some of the information should be somewhere on the web.
*
Thanks again!*
*
*

Scott Ferguson 03-22-2012 04:03 AM

On 22/03/12 11:10, Brandon Richards wrote:
> Tina,
>
> I would go even as far as to recommend Ubuntu.

And the same could be said of Debian - except we don't go to their lists
recommending they use Debian instead of persevering with a broken
derivative.

<snipped>

Kind regards.

answers to Debian questions:-

Scott Ferguson 03-22-2012 04:05 AM

On 22/03/12 10:17, Michael wrote:
> And by the way, if someone else likes to answer by explaining how to
> break root: Please don't do on public lists,

Don't be silly. Security by obscurity is not the Debian model.

> and consider if that really solves anything.

You won't solve anything if you can't gain root.