Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Roshan George

Default can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

Even if you know the root password, if you aren't in the sudoes list,
you can't do anything. Do as in the tutorial I mentioned above to add
you to the sudoers file. You can get the tutorial at
http://roshgorg.co.cc/mozilla-collusion-to-know-how-you-are-being-tracked/

--
♥ (¨`·.·´¨)♥
♥`·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)♥ Heal the

Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/04/12 07:54, tina braxton wrote:

> Thank you for all your ideas. I have now tried all the suggestions for
> sudo. Result is "permission denied"

That's not a lot of detail Tina, and "permission denied" is not what
should have happened.

Example of what "should" have happened:-

tina@laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for tina: I_can't_remember
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for tina: I_still_can't_remember
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for tina: I_give_up
Sorry, try again.
^Z
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

In the above (example) case you need to create a password for yourself:-

tina@laptop:~$ passwd
Changing password for tina.
(current) UNIX password: (added nothing here because it turns out I
don't have one)
Enter new UNIX password: something
Retype new UNIX password: something
Password changed

> Tried visudo. It said something about "You have probably been given the
> usual lecture about ..." Then it let me give myself a password. I
> thought this would be a root password,

No, it's just "your" password.

> so I tried it out by attempting
> to correct the clock, which is not set for my timezone. It did not
> work-it said the password was invalid.

To set root's password:-
$ sudo su root
# passwd

> I also tried the command starting with "dig>>". This was an
> unrecognizable command.
>
> Command starting with "cat" was also unrecognizable

This is very unusual.

Please copy and paste the exact commands you entered, and the responses.
Instead of going into terminal mode using Ctrl+Alt+F2 (now that we know
you're running GNOME) - just use GNOME-terminal instead

> In answer to the question about what my laptop uses to connect to the
> internet, it uses Network Manager.

Thanks

> Somebody said he has an old laptop, perhaps a vintage like mine,

Your laptop is not particularly old, the network card in it will support
all modern wireless networks.

> and it does not support wlan networks.

That information is incorrect.

I suspect that might be what I have at
> home.

Your problem is most likely that it isn't configured for WPA, that is
fixable.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/04/12 23:27, Roshan George wrote:
> Even if you know the root password,

If you took the time to politely *read* the thread you'll see that the
root password is not know.

<snipped>

> On 4/2/12, Hannu Virtanen <hannu_markus_virtanen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ii think that you need to get root password.
>> You maybe better to reinstall the whole thing

*If* Tina had the root password she wouldn't need to rebuild everything.

<snipped>

Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Hannu Virtanen

As 'root' you can give all the commands, which are available. You can of course use 'sudo', if you want. If you don't know 'root' password I think you better to reinstall the whole system. -hv

Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Hannu Virtanen