Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default can't get Iceweasel to work on my laptop

On 22/03/12 08:40, tina braxton wrote:
> I received a donated laptop about two years ago. It is an older
> model--an Acer Travel Mate 2480-2779. It has Debian software, including
> Iceweasel browser 3.5.9.
>
> Build identifier, in case you need it, is Mozilla /5.0 (XII; U; Linux
> i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko /20100501 Iceweasel/ 3.5.9 (like Firefox/
> 3.5.9)
>
> My problem is that Iceweasel simply does not work at all with most of
> the wireless services I have encountered. I don't get any error message.
> I just get something that says Iceweasel cannot locate the page. This is
> consistent with every URL I try to bring up.

Can you connect to the internet elsewhere (eg. from home or work)?

ie. Does the problem with Iceweasel *only* happen on wireless networks?

> I have to use it mostly public wireless services, at libraries, coffee
> shops, etc. I have tried a few connections at my friends' homes as well.
> Usually, I get a "bars" icon and a message that says I am connected to
> the wireless network. But Iceweasel doesn't do anything at all.
>
> The person who prepared the laptop for me told me this might happen
> sometimes, and I would have to configure something. But he did not tell
> me how, nor can I find any instructions or anything on the desktop for
> this purpose. Also, I do not have the root or admin passwords and have
> not been able to get them.

Probably not necessary. But trivial problems to solve if necessary.

> I would appreciate any instructions or advice on how to fix this
> problem. Please use simple language--I am still learning.
>
> Thanks very much.

Let me know if you can browse at all using Iceweasel, and we can then
determine which direction to go for you to browse the internet using
wireless.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-

Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
tina braxton

> I received a donated laptop about two years ago. It is an older
> model--an Acer Travel Mate 2480-2779. It has Debian software, including
> Iceweasel browser 3.5.9.
>*
> Build identifier, in case you need it, is Mozilla /5.0 (XII; U; Linux
> i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko /20100501 Iceweasel/ 3.5.9 (like Firefox/
> 3.5.9)
>*
> My problem is that Iceweasel simply does not work at all with most of
> the wireless services I have encountered. I don't get any error message.
> I just get something that says Iceweasel cannot locate the page. This is
> consistent with every URL I try to bring up.

Can you connect to the internet elsewhere (eg. from home or work)?

ie. Does the problem with Iceweasel
*only* happen on wireless networks?

Since the phone connection port on this very old laptop does not work, and I have not found anyplace to use my ethernet cable (I was told the ethernet port works), the only option is to use wireless.* I can't use the wireless available*where I live,*because, although the computer connects to it (it says "you are now connected"), Iceweasel does not function with this connection.* I'm not sure why--it simply acts as though there was no internet connection.* I work from home (I'm a writer), so there is no other office connection.* What I've been doing is writing my articles on the laptop at home, and then taking it to a library or cafe to post the finished article.* This is a big problem.* The laptop is quite heavy, I'm older and not very vigorous, and my only transport is
walking.* Also, for about half the year, the weather here is either too hot or too cold to take the laptop outdoors for extended periods.* So I need to be able to use it at home, with the wireless connection that is there.* Putting my work on a disc and bringing the disc to the library is not a workable solution, since most of the library computers, like the one I'm using now, don't have working disc drives.>*
> I have to use it mostly public wireless services, at libraries, coffee
> shops, etc. I have tried a few connections at my friends' homes as well.
> Usually, I get a "bars" icon and a message that says I am connected to
> the wireless network. But Iceweasel doesn't do anything at all.
>*
> The person who prepared the laptop for me told me this might happen
> sometimes, and I would have to configure something. But he did not tell
> me how,
nor can I find any instructions or anything on the desktop for
> this purpose. Also, I do not have the root or admin passwords and have
> not been able to get them.

Probably not necessary. But trivial problems to solve if necessary.
I tried to replace the programming by running an Ubuntu disc.* A friend recommended this.* When I put in the disc, it asked for the root and would do nothing without it.* I'm sure it would do the same if I had a disc with a newer version of Debian.* Actually, getting the root and admin passwords would make this thing easier to use in a lot of other ways.* Without them, it will*not install anything at all, not even updates.
>*
> I would appreciate any instructions or advice on how to fix this
> problem. Please use simple language--I am still learning.
>*
> Thanks very much.

Let me know if you can browse at all using Iceweasel, and we can then
determine which direction to go for you to browse the internet
using
wireless.
*
In the places where, for whatever reason, Iceweasel works, I have had no problem browsing with it.* I don't know why it works in some places and not in others, but where it works, it works perfectly.* The problem is, it seems not to like most of the internet connections where it would be best for me to work, including the one where I live.
Kind regards

Thank you very much for your help.
answers to Debian questions:-

Archive:
http://lists.debian.org/4F6AB3D7.3050603@gmail.com

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/03/12 09:44, tina braxton wrote:

> [...]

OK. The modem is a separate issue.

> and I have not found anyplace to use my ethernet cable (I was told the
> ethernet port works),

Also separate issue, but good to know.

> the only option is to use wireless.

OK.

<snipped>

> This is a big problem.

Understood.

> The laptop is quite heavy, I'm older and not very vigorous, and my only
> transport is walking. Also, for about half the year, the weather here
> is either too hot or too cold to take the laptop outdoors for extended
> periods. So I need to be able to use it at home, with the wireless
> connection that is there.

OK.

<snipped>

> I tried to replace the programming by running an Ubuntu disc. A friend
> recommended this. When I put in the disc, it asked for the root and
> would do nothing without it.

If you're already familiar with this operating system - best to fix the
one thing that doesn't work instead of installing another, "hoping"
everything will work, and then having to learn again.

> I'm sure it would do the same if I had a
> disc with a newer version of Debian.

You are correct. And it's unnecessary.

<snipped>

> In the places where, for whatever reason, Iceweasel works, I have had no
> problem browsing with it.

<snipped>

Excellent, it would be more difficult is it didn't connect anywhere, and
you've given some clues as to why it's not connecting.

<snipped>

Q. Do you know what desktop environment is running on your laptop?
GNOME, KDE, XFCE are several possibilities.

Q. Do you know what program is being used to make the wireless connection?
Wikcd and Network Manager are some possibilities.

If you the answer to those questions it doesn't matter, there are other
ways to find out.

When you are somewhere that your laptop can connect to the internet try
the following:-

1. Connect to the internet (test by loading a webpage in Iceweasel)

2. Switch to "console mode" by holding down both the "Ctrl" and "Alt"
keys and pressing the "F2" key.

You should then be looking at a black screen with white letters. The
"prompt" should show your "username" and "machinename".
The format is (usually) username@machinename:workingdirectory$
eg.:-
scott@work:~$
or
tina@laptop:~$

3. Type the following and then press "Enter":-

sudo ifconfig > /home/$username/results

NOTE: you need to substitute the "username" shown in the "prompt" for
$username

eg.:-
sudo ifconfig > /home/tina/Results

4. Switch back to your normal desktop by holding down both the "Ctrl"
and "Alt" keys and pressing the "F7" key.

5. Go to your Yahoo email account, login, find this post, open it, and
Reply.

6. You'll find a file called Results in your home directory. Paste it
into your reply to this post.

If you have problems or question please ask.

NOTE: If you look at the bottom of the page:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#HowTo_send_plain_text_emails_to _the_list
you'll see I given instruction on how to send plain text posts from Yahoo.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 PM
xavier limodin

3. Type the following and then press "Enter":-

sudo ifconfig > /home/$username/results

NOTE: you need to substitute the "username" shown in the "prompt" for

$username

eg.:-

sudo ifconfig > /home/tina/Results

Hi Tina,*
In a place where you can't browse, you should use*
"/sbin/ifconfig >> /home/tina/Results"

"/sbin/iwconfig*>> /home/tina/Results"
and check name server config with :
"cat /etc/resolv.conf*>> /home/tina/Results"

"dig**>> /home/tina/Results"
Connect to the internet where it works*

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Hannu Virtanen

hello,*
please tell, which program you are using*to connect the laptop in the net.*
or is it automatically connected after you boot it?*
have you tried other browsers besides iceweasel?*

with best,*
-hv
p.s. i'm myself using about 8 years old hp laptop and a sony ericsson mobile phone to connect the laptop into the net. * the program used is wvdial.*

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM
tina braxton

The laptop connects directly to the internet without any additional program* (unless it doesn't).* I don't have any internet service on my cellphone.* I tried it, before I got the laptop, but it was so slow, everything always timed out.*
*
The only browser*the laptop*has is Iceweasel.* I tried to download Firefox, but could not install it.* It kept asking for*the root.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Rares Aioanei

On 03/29/2012 12:11 AM, tina braxton wrote:

The laptop
connects directly to the internet without any additional
program* (unless it doesn't).* I don't have any internet
service on my cellphone.* I tried it, before I got the
laptop, but it was so slow, everything always timed out.*

*
The only browser*the laptop*has is
Iceweasel.* I tried to download Firefox, but could not install
it.* It kept asking for*the
root.

Iceweasel IS Firefox, rebranded.

--
Rares Aioanei

Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Hannu Virtanen

hi,

I think that you should get the laptop somewhere with
an ethernet connection available and update the whole operating system first.

You should make it sure that the programs needed for the wireless a
connection are installed. Please install other browser besides iceweasel, too. Epiphany is one option.

I'm seldom using any wlan connections, because this old laptop I'm normally using doesn't have that hardware, but I see that with my other laptop it is available and works with debian out of the box...

To update the operating system you need to work as 'root' Do you know the root password?

with best,

-hv

Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
tina braxton

Thank you for all your ideas.* I have now tried all the suggestions for sudo.* Result is "permission denied"
Tried visudo.* It said something about "You have probably been given the usual lecture about ..." Then it let me give myself a password.* I thought this would be a root password, so I tried it out by attempting to correct the clock, which is not set for my timezone.* It did not work-it said the password was invalid.
I also tried the command starting with "dig>>".* This was an unrecognizable command.
Command starting with "cat" was also unrecognizable

In answer to the
question about what my laptop uses to connect to the internet, it uses Network Manager.
Somebody said he has an old laptop, perhaps a vintage like mine, and it does not support wlan networks.* I suspect that might be what I have at home.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Hannu Virtanen

Ii think that you need to get root password.
You maybe better to reinstall the whole thing... debian cds are very cheap. -hv