-   -   Hard Drive Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/64445-hard-drive-problem.html)

04-05-2008 12:24 AM

Hard Drive Problem

Thanks.

I believe you are right.
I have used the hard drive for BT download for two
years, this year use it to do weekly backup. but now
it retired :(

"Thomas H. George" 05-21-2008 07:58 PM

Hard Drive Problem

After cpu failure and replacement Debian Lenny system bootup fails with
a message:

/bin/cat: /sys/block/hdb/hdb1/dev No such file or directory

This is repeated several times and then again for hdb5. Finally kernel
panic.

I have run Western Digital's extended test on hdb and found no errors.
I am able to boot the system with a Debian Live cd and mount and read
files on hdb1 and hdb2.

Any suggestions as to how I can fully recover the system?

Tom

Hugo Vanwoerkom 05-21-2008 08:53 PM

Hard Drive Problem

Thomas H. George wrote:
After cpu failure and replacement Debian Lenny system bootup fails with
a message:

/bin/cat: /sys/block/hdb/hdb1/dev No such file or directory

This is repeated several times and then again for hdb5. Finally kernel
panic.

I have run Western Digital's extended test on hdb and found no errors.
I am able to boot the system with a Debian Live cd and mount and read
files on hdb1 and hdb2.

Any suggestions as to how I can fully recover the system?

Should you chroot to the partition from a rescue CD and re-install the
kernel and associated initrd image?

Hugo

Adam Hardy 08-05-2008 02:51 PM

hard drive problem

I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into another
with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out smoothly.

The first drive is 40Gb and seems fine, but the second, a 750Gb drive, has a
partition that won't mount. In fact there is also a partition on the first drive
that's not mounting. But linux loads.

In the previous machine, I had used the defaults for the hard drive hardware
config, so it had 'cable select' which determined that the 750Gb drive was the
slave.

This didn't work in the current machine where I've just installed them. When I
first booted, the BIOS didn't recognise the hard drives and I had to
specifically set the 750Gb hard drive jumper onto Slave.

Now it boots up, the BIOS detects the 2 drives correctly, but then linux says:

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to read /dev/hdc1
/dev/hdc1: the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem

/dev/hda6: clean, 11/3424256 files 151509/6839665 blocks

fsck died with exit status 8
failed (code 8)

... and dumps me into a maintenance shell. So it seems to me that there must be
something in the partition table that is stopping the disks being mounted. Is
there anything I can do to rescue the situation? Obviously I don't want to lose
the data on the harddrives, but if I have to struggle for hours then I'd rather
sacrifice the data and repartition.

Thanks
Adam

Andrei Popescu 08-05-2008 04:22 PM

hard drive problem

On Tue,05.Aug.08, 15:51:44, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into
> another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out
> smoothly.
>
> The first drive is 40Gb and seems fine, but the second, a 750Gb drive, has
> a partition that won't mount. In fact there is also a partition on the
> first drive that's not mounting. But linux loads.

How old is that mobo anyway? 750 GB might be just a bit too much for it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Adam Hardy 08-05-2008 04:53 PM

hard drive problem

I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into
another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out
smoothly.

The first drive is 40Gb and seems fine, but the second, a 750Gb drive, has
a partition that won't mount. In fact there is also a partition on the
first drive that's not mounting. But linux loads.

How old is that mobo anyway? 750 GB might be just a bit too much for it.

Argh! Well, I don't really know anymore - probably 1998. So 10 years, +/- 2
years. But then, the other mobo was old too. Maybe just not quite as old. Should
I be checking on a hardware compatibility list at Seagate?

Andrei Popescu 08-05-2008 05:24 PM

hard drive problem

On Tue,05.Aug.08, 17:53:05, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Andrei Popescu on 05/08/08 17:22, wrote:
>> On Tue,05.Aug.08, 15:51:44, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into
>>> another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out
>>> smoothly.
>>>
>>> The first drive is 40Gb and seems fine, but the second, a 750Gb drive,
>>> has a partition that won't mount. In fact there is also a partition on
>>> the first drive that's not mounting. But linux loads.
>>
>> How old is that mobo anyway? 750 GB might be just a bit too much for it.
>
> Argh! Well, I don't really know anymore - probably 1998. So 10 years, +/- 2
> years. But then, the other mobo was old too. Maybe just not quite as old.
> Should I be checking on a hardware compatibility list at Seagate?

You could try different options for the drive parameters in BIOS (lba,
CHS, ...)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Adam Hardy 08-05-2008 11:04 PM

hard drive problem

I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into
another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out
smoothly.

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to read /dev/hdc1
/dev/hdc1: the superblock could not be read or does not describe a
correct ext2 filesystem

/dev/hda6: clean, 11/3424256 files 151509/6839665 blocks

fsck died with exit status 8
failed (code 8)

If you type fdisk /dev/hdc1 and then press P, does it see the drive size
correctly or does it complain to you about accessing the device?

fdisk /dev/hdc1

==>

unable to open /dev/hdc1

If however I enter fdisk /dev/hda1 then it gives me a whole paragraph about the
hard drive having more than 1024 cylinders, the partition table contains no
entries, and there is a message stating

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by write

If I enter fdisk /dev/hda6, I get the correct drive size etc.

This doesn't sound hopeful I know.

Regards
Adam

"Brian McKee" 08-05-2008 11:30 PM

hard drive problem

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> Forsaken on 05/08/08 19:25, wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>>
>>> I just took the hard drives from one machine and installed them into
>>> another with a similar 500MHz CPU and mobo, but it hasn't worked out
>>> smoothly.
>>> fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to read /dev/hdc1
>>> /dev/hdc1: the superblock could not be read or does not describe a
>>> correct ext2 filesystem
>>>
>>> /dev/hda6: clean, 11/3424256 files 151509/6839665 blocks
>>>
>>> fsck died with exit status 8
>>> failed (code 8)
>>

>> If you type fdisk /dev/hdc1 and then press P, does it see the drive size
>> correctly or does it complain to you about accessing the device?
>
> fdisk /dev/hdc1
>
> ==>
>
> unable to open /dev/hdc1
>
> If however I enter fdisk /dev/hda1 then it gives me a whole paragraph about
> the hard drive having more than 1024 cylinders, the partition table contains
> no entries, and there is a message stating

What does just fdisk -l show? Is it really at hdc ?

Brian

Adam Hardy 08-06-2008 12:26 AM

hard drive problem

[...]

It shows /dev/hda and /dev/hdb (the cdrom).