Old 04-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03) in etch

Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:40:54PM +0200, Embrik Kaslegard wrote:
>> I am not able to get my soundcard working 100%. Internal speakers are
>> ok, headphones and recording doesn't work.
>
> try alsamixer (from terminal) - you might need to enable/disable some
> channel in a non-intuitive pattern to get things working, but ...
>
>> My debian distribution is etch
>> My kernel is 2.6.18-6-686
>>
>> My sound car:
>> Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
>
> ... I'd suggest you move to newer kernel, 2.6.24.* from backports/
> experimental/volatile/wherever it is, since hda support wasn't shiny here
> as well till I upgraded to 2.6.24 (from 2.6.19.*, though 2.6.22.* might
> do the trick too).
>
> --
> paolo

I had a similar problem with my 82801G (ICH7 Family): the headphones
were dead and no slide control showed up in alsamixer. About the mic,
I don't know - haven't tested yet.

As Paolo suggests, a newer kernel probably helps, but if that gives
you other headaches, you can try what I did: install alsa-source and
build it yourself. It was the same version as the binary alsa package
(1.0.13-5etch1), so I didn't expect much, but to my surprise, it
worked. (Disclaimer: I also built a custom kernel (2.6.18) - maybe
that was was actually did the trick due to some obscure config
difference.)

Auto muting of speakers as I plug the headphones doesn't work though -
I have to use alsamixer for that. Is that fixed with the newer kernel,
Paolo?

Cheers
--
Björn Wirén