Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Zuper Koleoptera

Default laptop hp dm1 3080 problems: clickpad, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, Realtek smart card reader, Ralink/motorola/broadcom 2011 wifi

Well not sure, most probably the ralink firmware is the one you are
missing, try follow the steps for squeeze and report where you get
stuck..

Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Fernando Gadea

Here it is the terminal output in txt
Please don't look at the puredata server problem. it seems that there
is no extended version for 64 bit.

When I give it the order to install the ralink firmware it tells me
that it won't be installed, updated or deleted any package.
Well, please, see it for yourself in the file.
Thank you again

--
Fernando Gadea
root@ulises:/home/nan# aptitude update
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-es
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-es
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-es
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-es
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze Release
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free Translation-es
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze-updates Release
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main Sources
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/non-free Sources
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib Sources
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/non-free Sources
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib Sources
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
Obj http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze-updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://apt.puredata.info squeeze Release.gpg
Ign http://apt.puredata.info/releases/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Ign http://apt.puredata.info/releases/ squeeze/main Translation-es
Obj http://ftp.us.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages
Obj http://apt.puredata.info squeeze Release
Ign http://apt.puredata.info squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Err http://apt.puredata.info squeeze/main amd64 Packages
404 Not Found

root@ulises:/home/nan# aptitude install firmware-ralink wireless-tools
No se instalará, actualizará o eliminará ningún paquete.
0 paquetes actualizados, 0 nuevos instalados, 0 para eliminar y 0 sin actualizar.
Necesito descargar 0 B de ficheros. Después de desempaquetar se usarán 0 B.

root@ulises:/home/nan# modprobe rt2860sta
root@ulises:/home/nan# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

root@ulises:/home/nan#

Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
"Ivan T. Ivanov"

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 11:52 -0200, Fernando Gadea wrote:
> I'm almost desperate...
> my machine is with debian 6.0.3 with gnome 2.30.3
> kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> Here is the specification chart of hardware and drivers in w7:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02698960&tmp_task=prodinfoCatego ry&cc=mx&dlc=es&lc=es&product=5057770
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=es&cc=mx&dlc=es&sw_lan g=&product=5057770#N262

Try instruction described here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11206409&postcount=82

Cheers,
Ivan

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Luís Bandarra

Hi there,

Please don't look at the puredata server problem. it seems that there
is no extended version for 64 bit.

When I give it the order to install the ralink firmware it tells me
that it won't be installed, updated or deleted any package.
Well, please, see it for yourself in the file.
Thank you again

Try
$ dpkg --get-selections | grep firmware

to see if it's already installed.

Perhaps you should also add squeeze-backports to see if it helps: http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/
After see the link to the debian-wiki i notice that in wheezy, the driver already support that wifi adapter.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Zuper Koleoptera

Well there might be some conflict with
Ign http://apt.puredata.info squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Err http://apt.puredata.info squeeze/main amd64 Packages

try to comment out that repo in the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
Open up the file in an editor and put # infront of the line.
Then

aptitude update
aptitude install firmware-ralink wireless-tools

Just a question did you use always aptitude or just now because of the
example. If not try with apt-get. It is a bout the same only it treats
dependancies a different way.
Instead of aptitude update & install try:
apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-ralink wireless-tools

Again only if you did not use aptitude in the past.

Thank you

Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Fernando Gadea

Hi Luis,
here is the terminal output in a txt file. It contains the check for
firmware and the backports add.
Ralink firmware was already installed, and the repositories update
didn't give me a different package or I am doing something wrong..

Thank you

2012/1/20, Luís Bandarra <lbandarra@gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
>

> On 20-01-2012 15:21, Fernando Gadea wrote:
>> Here it is the terminal output in txt
>> Please don't look at the puredata server problem. it seems that there
>> is no extended version for 64 bit.
>>
>> When I give it the order to install the ralink firmware it tells me
>> that it won't be installed, updated or deleted any package.
>> Well, please, see it for yourself in the file.
>> Thank you again
> Try
> $ dpkg --get-selections | grep firmware
>
> to see if it's already installed.
>
> Perhaps you should also add squeeze-backports to see if it helps:
> http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/
> After see the link to the debian-wiki i notice that in wheezy, the driver
> already support that wifi adapter.
>

>> 2012/1/20, Zuper Koleoptera<zuperkoleoptera@gmail.com>:
>>> Well not sure, most probably the ralink firmware is the one you are
>>> missing, try follow the steps for squeeze and report where you get
>>> stuck..

Fernando Gadea

root@ulises:/home/nan# $ dpkg --get-selections | grep firmware
bash: $: no se encontró la orden
root@ulises:/home/nan# dpkg --get-selections | grep firmware
bluez-firmware install
firmware-bnx2 install
firmware-bnx2x install
firmware-brcm80211 install
firmware-linux-nonfree install
firmware-ralink install
firmware-realtek install
linux-wlan-ng-firmware install
root@ulises:/home/nan# apt-get update
Obj http://backports.debian.org squeeze-backports Release.gpg
Ign http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports/main Translation-en
Ign http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports/main Translation-es
Des:1 http://backports.debian.org squeeze-backports/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex [6991 B]
Obj http://backports.debian.org squeeze-backports/main amd64 Packages
[...]
Descargados 6991 B en 7seg. (974 B/s)
W: Imposible obtener http://apt.puredata.info/releases/dists/squeeze/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: No se han podido descargar algunos archivos de índice, se han ignorado, o se ha utilizado unos antiguos en su lugar.
root@ulises:/home/nan#

Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Zuper Koleoptera

I am afraid that if the firmware is already installed then maybe you
should try another kernel. If you go the backport way maybe it is
better if you try to update your kernel. Try the following

First thing is to make sure backports are enabled:
Open up a terminal window

copy paste below:

echo -e "
## DEBIAN BACKPORTS
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports
main contrib non-free
" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

paste it in the terminal window by clicking your mouse middle button
press 'return' until you get the prompt.

Now type copy the following command to the terminal window:

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.39-bpo.2-686-pae

Reboot your system. There will be a new entry in your grub menu. Pick
the first entry- it will mention 2.6.39-bpo

Test if your wireless is working.

Report if where you get stuck. Unfortunately there might not be only
one solution in your problem....

Thank you,

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Fernando Gadea

I use Synaptics the most, to tell the true. As I am not a power user
I'm affraid I can mix things up if I try something in the terminal for
myself. So yes, I am doing what you tell and learning (and I am
reading the linux command line book, but slowly).

This txt file shows that ralink is installed. Notice I had a problem
updating the backport packages the first try, but after it worked, or
it seems to...

--
Fernando Gadea

Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Luís Bandarra

I use Synaptics the most, to tell the true. As I am not a power user
I'm affraid I can mix things up if I try something in the terminal for
myself. So yes, I am doing what you tell and learning (and I am
reading the linux command line book, but slowly).

In Synaptic go to: Package->Force Version {I use in pt_PT: "Pacote->Forçar Versão"} and choose the one in backports, and try the rest with the packages: firmware-ralink and wireless-tools

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Zuper Koleoptera

If that doesnt work, you can try the same for the kernel through synaptics..
Just search for :
linux-image-2.6.39-bpo.2-686-pae

install it and reboot...

Good luck