Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Ashton Fagg

Default Dell Latitude E6410: Touchpad Scrolling

G'day list,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 and after months of putting up with no
touchpad scrolling out of sheer laziness I've decided to bite the
bullet and try to get it going.

I'm running Debian Squeeze (amd64) on the stock kernel. I'm trying to
apply the patch which has been widely circulated for about 18 months
now. This patch can be found here (the instructions seem to be for
Ubuntu): http://budts.be/weblog/2010/12/dell-latitude-e6510-screen-and-touchpad

I've downloaded the patch, and am trying to apply it. However I'm not
having much success:

fagg@hubble:~/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse$ patch -p0 <
~/src/patch-dell-e6510
patching file alps.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 40.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 66.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 192 with fuzz 2 (offset -187 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 222 (offset -201 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 358 (offset -201 lines).
Hunk #6 succeeded at 555 (offset -202 lines).
Hunk #7 FAILED at 824.
3 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file alps.c.rej
patching file alps.h
Hunk #2 FAILED at 24.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file alps.h.rej
patching file psmouse.h
fagg@hubble:~/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse$ make -C
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` psmouse.ko
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64'
CC [M] /home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse-base.o
CC [M] /home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.o
CC [M] /home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.o
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c: In
function ‘alps_process_byte’:
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:195: error:
‘model’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:195: error:
(Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:195: error:
for each function it appears in.)
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:195: error:
‘ALPS_EC_PROTO’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:197: error:
‘struct alps_data’ has no member named ‘old_protocol_handler’
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c: In
function ‘alps_get_model’:
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:366: error:
‘ALPS_EC_PROTO’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c: In
function ‘alps_imps_reconnect’:
/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c:584: error:
‘ALPS_EC_PROTO’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[3]: *** [/home/fagg/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse/alps.o]
Error 1
make[2]: *** [psmouse.ko] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64'
fagg@hubble:~/src/linux-2.6-2.6.32/drivers/input/mouse$

Has anyone managed to get this going? I'd greatly appreciate any
pointers which anyone may be able to give. Please let me know if
there's anything else you would like to see.

Regards,
Ashton Fagg

Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Johann Spies

Hallo Ashton,
Has anyone managed to get this going? I'd greatly appreciate any

pointers which anyone may be able to give. Please let me know if

there's anything else you would like to see.

I got my E6410 15 months ago and gave up on the trackpad long ago.* I am mostly using an external usb-keyboard with this laptop because when it is under load I get many keyboard errors like repetitive characters.* That does not happen with the external keyboard.

If someone can sort this laptop's keyboard/trackpad behaviour out under Debian I will be glad.

I am running Sid.

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,

my lips will praise you.* (Psalm 63:3)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Ashton Fagg

On 12 December 2011 21:23, Johann Spies <johann.spies@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hallo Ashton,

G'day Johann,

Thanks for your response.

> I got my E6410 15 months ago and gave up on the trackpad long ago.* I am
> mostly using an external usb-keyboard with this laptop because when it is
> under load I get many keyboard errors like repetitive characters.* That does
> not happen with the external keyboard.

I can't say I've experienced this, although I do get the occasional
mouse click for no apparent reason. I can't be sure whether this is
due to me accidentally hitting the touchpad when I type (I too usually
use an external keyboard and this seems to remedy this) or something
software related, but it's very rare and definitely not what you
described. Are you sure it's not hardware related? I've not heard of
that before.

> If someone can sort this laptop's keyboard/trackpad behaviour out under
> Debian I will be glad.

Would certainly be nice! Although my research indicates it's a
mainline kernel issue and not a Debian-specific issue.

> I am running Sid.

Out of curiosity - do you have any comparison in terms of general
compatibility with this machine (versus stable)?

> Regards
> Johann

Regards,
Ashton Fagg

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Florian Snow

Hello Ashton,

I'm not sure if those two patches are the same, but I was able to apply
a patch that comes from Ubuntu. It got the touchpad on my Latitude
E6410 working pretty much flawlessly, including multitouch. I'm
running stable, so I had to upgrade to a kernel from backports,
but I guess on sid, the patch will apply cleanly. It might be
worth a try. The patch can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/550625/comments/492

There are also some additional tips in other comments on that bug,
regarding overly sensitive touchpads and so on. The maintainer is also
asking for help figuring out some more things about different hardware
revisions of this touchpad. So maybe you can even help out there and
thus improve future support of the touchpad.

Maybe the patch will even do something for Johann's problems, even
though I can't see a connection to his keyboard problems (it's the
first time I heard about multiple keystrokes; sounds like a hardware
problem to me).

I hope this helps,
Florian

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Florian Snow

Hey Ashton,

> I will certainly try this out. Which backports kernel have you
> upgraded to?

I upgraded to 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64. The patch should apply cleanly to
kernel 2.6.38 and newer.

> And how does that fare as far as nVidia drivers go
> (assuming you haven't got the Intel integrated option, of course)?

I got the integrated Intel graphics because I knew there was decent
driver support. Then again, the proprietary driver should still work if
you compile the kernel module yourself. But I can't tell you more about
that; I don't have the nVidia card and I only have free software
repositories activated. I think going with noveau might actually be a
good option. The driver is supposed to be pretty decent these days.

Best regards,
Florian

Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Ashton Fagg

On 14 December 2011 21:09, Florian Snow <florian@familysnow.net> wrote:
> Hey Ashton,
>

>> I will certainly try this out. Which backports kernel have you
>> upgraded to?
>
> I upgraded to 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64. The patch should apply cleanly to
> kernel 2.6.38 and newer.
>

>> And how does that fare as far as nVidia drivers go
>> (assuming you haven't got the Intel integrated option, of course)?
>
> I got the integrated Intel graphics because I knew there was decent
> driver support. Then again, the proprietary driver should still work if
> you compile the kernel module yourself. But I can't tell you more about
> that; I don't have the nVidia card and I only have free software
> repositories activated. I think going with noveau might actually be a
> good option. The driver is supposed to be pretty decent these days.
>
> Best regards,
> Florian

G'day Florian,

Thanks a bunch, I'll give this a go and report back.

Cheers,
Ashton

Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Ashton Fagg