-   -   Troubles on kde with desktop effects (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/600999-troubles-kde-desktop-effects.html)

Luis Miguel Rojas Aguilera 11-21-2011 06:31 PM

Troubles on kde with desktop effects

Hi, i'm having some troubles when try to enable the desktop effects on kde , my pcs is a toshiba satellite l505d gs6000 with a ATI Radeon Video Card , i've already instaled the xorg-xserver-ati .. When i enable the blowing effect a notification appears saying that kwin can;'t enable that effect and others.
Maybe there is a log file i should see, please if anyone can help me.
Thanks anyway.

--
... no puedes conectar los puntos hacia adelante, sólo puedes hacerlo hacia atrás. Así que tenéis que confiar en que los puntos se conectarán alguna vez en el futuro. Tienes que confiar en algo, tu instinto, el destino, la vida, el karma, lo que sea ... Steve Jobs

Florian Reitmeir 11-22-2011 09:18 AM

Troubles on kde with desktop effects

Hi,

Luis Miguel Rojas Aguilera wrote:
> Hi, i'm having some troubles when try to enable the desktop effects on
> kde , my pcs is a toshiba satellite l505d gs6000 with a ATI Radeon Video
> Card , i've already instaled the xorg-xserver-ati .. When i enable the
> blowing effect a notification appears saying that kwin can;'t enable
> that effect and others.

which version of debian?
the package to install should be xserver-xorg-video-radeon, but in newer
versions this is already installed.

> Maybe there is a log file i should see, please if anyone can help me.

the log files are:

$HOME/.xsession-errors
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

and look at the output of the commands:

lspci
glxinfo

while the support for ATI cards in debian testing/unstable is getting
better with each new kernel, in debian stable i would recommend
installing the fglrx driver from ATI, you can get this driver from the
ATI homepage.

regards

--
Florian Reitmeir