Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Jenei Gábor

Default sudden freeze

Hello,

I've been using Debian quite long, but recently I have a strange
problem. On my MSI Wind U123 netbook I have the following problem:
system boots, it works for about 5-30 minutes, then suddenly it escapes
to shell(like when I push ctrl+alt+F1) and the mouse coursor stays in
this shell prompt also(the original gnome mouse cursor) After this I
cannot do anything, the system doesn't react. Do you know my problem? Or
could I debug it form system logs? I guess the problem's source must be
somewhere in energy handling, as the problem never appeared me before
when I was using the netbook from electrical network, only in case of
running from battery. Actually I only can reboot the system by pressing
the power button long.

Thanks for your help,

Gabor Jenei

Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Kees de Jong

My system doesn't freeze, but it's responsiveness is terrible since the recent Xorg update. Does that sound familiar? Is your system also slow at opening and closing windows?

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4E843F3A.4040009@gmail.com

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Kees de Jong

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Indien u dit bericht onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud
niet te gebruiken en de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht
te retourneren.--

The information contained in this message may be confidential and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee(s).

Should you receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the
contents herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Philipp Hagemeister

Jenei Gábor wrote:
> Sep 21 11:25:04 DebianNetbook NetworkManager[1183]: <info> (wlan0):
> canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 2341
> Sep 21 11:25:04 DebianNetbook NetworkManager[1183]: <error>
> So, an error occurs in DHCP. Can it be the problem?

Nope. DHCP is user-space and has nothing that could potentially lock up
the system otherwise.

> Sep 21 11:19:59 DebianNetbook kernel: [ 65.147162] PKIMonitor[2255]:
> segfault at 730072 ip b6aac8d1 sp bfa02300 error 4 in
> libQtGui.so.4.6.3[b6901000+a78000]

I'm no expert, but that looks utterly wrong. The kernel should never
have to do anything with a user-space process, and definitely not a
graphical one. If I'm reading this correctly, they somehow jumped to
user-space code from the kernel, which is a big no-no and most likely
the cause of the crash.

> This program is from Aladdin, it's the driver of Aladdin eTokens.

Did it install any kernel modules? If so, those are probbaly causing
memory corruption or something else. Try uninstalling it (or, given
their programming quality if my above reading is correct, reinstall the
machine) and contacting their support.

-- Philipp