Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 PM

Default configuring madwifi

Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling with wireless on my nc6000 laptop. I followed the newbie instructions on www.madwifi.org. Installation went well, the blue light turns on. Then when I type "wlist ath0 scan", the return is "ath0 no scan results" even though I a next to my wireless router at home. I'm using WEP encrytion and typed "iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxx" with my real key.

I think I'm configuring the wireless incorrectly, but I cannot find a thread.

uname -r = 2.6.18-6-686
lspci | grep Ath = AR5212 802.11ab

Can anyone help? New to debian, new to madwifi. Please excuse me if I should post to madwifi.org instead.

Thank,
westniles

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM

westniles46@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm struggling with wireless on my nc6000 laptop. I followed the
> newbie instructions on www.madwifi.org.

This is an old write-up I did for my nc4000. Taking the vintage of
the write-up for Sarge into consideration the instructions there might
help you.

http://www.proulx.com/~bob/nc4000/

> Installation went well, the
> blue light turns on. Then when I type "wlist ath0 scan", the return
> is "ath0 no scan results" even though I a next to my wireless router
> at home. I'm using WEP encrytion and typed "iwconfig ath0 key
> xxxxxxxxxx" with my real key.
>
> I think I'm configuring the wireless incorrectly, but I cannot find
> a thread.

I am just going to quote directly from my old page on the subject. I
am sure things have changed since then. You might need to make
adjustments to these old Sarge instructions.

Getting the wireless running consists of the following for me. These
are all done as root. Of course if you have a closed access point you
will need to set the SSID to match instead of to "any". This is the
"coffee shop" setting.

modprobe ath_pci
iwconfig ath0 mode managed rate auto rts off frag off key off enc off
iwconfig ath0 txpower auto # seems to power up transmitter
iwconfig ath0 essid any # seems to power up transmitter
ifconfig ath0 up # initiates active scan for access point
sleep 2 # give time to settle
iwlist ath0 scanning
shorewall start
dhclient ath0

Initially iwconfig shows the txpower off. But after this txpower is on
(0 db). Unloading the module seems to power off the transmitter. I am
still experimenting with this.

ifconfig ath0 down
rmmod ath_pci
rmmod ath_hal
rmmod wlan

> Can anyone help? New to debian, new to madwifi. Please excuse me if
> I should post to madwifi.org instead.

I think this is quite a good topic for debian-laptop.

Bob

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM
"roberto viana"

i have a laptop with a wireless atheros and the madwifi driver is run correctly, during the configuration process i have any problem because i unknow very well the system.
I can try help you, if you describe more details about your problem.

what is the result of the command # ifconfig ?

the wireless is 'up'?

excuse-me for my bad english, i am brazilian
thanks