FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Laptop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Richard Lyons
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

Hi all,

I couple of words of warning about upgrading to 2.6.18:

I recently tried installing the 2.6.18 linux image on an etch laptop (in
fact in the hope of solving a sound problem, but that is immaterial).

grub
----
I immediately ran into the problem that the install quietly removed all
traces of grub from the computer. The reinstallation of grub failed at
first because grub identified correctly the two kernel images, but got
the root wrong in menu.lst, so I needed to use a livecd to rescue the
unbootable laptop manually.

ACPI
----
It was only later I noticed that the battery indicator on my windowmaker
desktop was no longer working. I had been so thrilled that it started
working 'out of the box' with 2.6.17, that I didn't at first check.

Anyway, as 2.6.18 gave me no benefits, I have now returned to the
2.6.17.

Maybe useful to someone...

--
richard


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Albert Dengg
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:02:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I couple of words of warning about upgrading to 2.6.18:
>
> I recently tried installing the 2.6.18 linux image on an etch laptop (in
> fact in the hope of solving a sound problem, but that is immaterial).
>
> grub
> ----
> I immediately ran into the problem that the install quietly removed all
> traces of grub from the computer. The reinstallation of grub failed at
> first because grub identified correctly the two kernel images, but got
> the root wrong in menu.lst, so I needed to use a livecd to rescue the
> unbootable laptop manually.
that problem with grub having the wrong root partion do happen sometimes...
(in fact i have 2 computer where that happens after every fresh debian
install)
no need for a livecd though:
just select the kernel you want to boot and then hit 'e' to edit the
boot entry and chenge the root entry
also it is wise to inspect what exactly is going on when updateing the
kernel and/or the boot loader
> ACPI
> ----
> It was only later I noticed that the battery indicator on my windowmaker
> desktop was no longer working. I had been so thrilled that it started
> working 'out of the box' with 2.6.17, that I didn't at first check.
...well you mentioned a thinkpad...
i don't know when i happend but notice that the ibm_acpi module was
renamed to thinkpad_acpi at some point...don't know when it was exactly

> Anyway, as 2.6.18 gave me no benefits, I have now returned to the
> 2.6.17.
well, there is one: there is security support for the debian 2.6.18*
tree, but not for the older kernels (and that can cerainly be a benefit)

yours
albert


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Richard Lyons
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:42:58PM +0100, Albert Dengg wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:02:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I couple of words of warning about upgrading to 2.6.18:
> >
> > I recently tried installing the 2.6.18 linux image on an etch laptop
[...]
> > grub
> > ----
> > I immediately ran into the problem that the install quietly removed all
> > traces of grub from the computer. The reinstallation of grub failed at
> > first because grub identified correctly the two kernel images, but got
> > the root wrong in menu.lst, so I needed to use a livecd to rescue the
> > unbootable laptop manually.
> that problem with grub having the wrong root partion do happen sometimes...
> (in fact i have 2 computer where that happens after every fresh debian
> install)

I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo. IIRC, lilo always found the
right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
about, so you always have to add that by hand. Not that I boot 'doze
more often than once a year...
[...]
> > ACPI
> > ----
> > It was only later I noticed that the battery indicator on my windowmaker
> > desktop was no longer working.
[...]
> ...well you mentioned a thinkpad...

Actually, this specific issue was on an Acer Aspire 1640Z, though
perhaps something has been renamed there too...

> i don't know when i happend but notice that the ibm_acpi module was
> renamed to thinkpad_acpi at some point...don't know when it was exactly
[...]

Thanks, just the same.

--
richard


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

Richard Lyons wrote:
> I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo. IIRC, lilo always found the
> right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
> about, so you always have to add that by hand. Not that I boot 'doze
> more often than once a year...

The Debian Etch version of the debian-installer will detect ms-windows
partitions and automatically add them to the grub menu.lst file. So
in theory it shouldn't be necessary to add them by hand anymore.

Bob
 
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Richard Lyons
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:53:20AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> > I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo. IIRC, lilo always found the
> > right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
> > about, so you always have to add that by hand. Not that I boot 'doze
> > more often than once a year...
>
> The Debian Etch version of the debian-installer will detect ms-windows
> partitions and automatically add them to the grub menu.lst file. So
> in theory it shouldn't be necessary to add them by hand anymore.

Ah, that is useful. But only if you are installing from scratch.

More often, one is merely upgrading a kernel, or worse, as in my case,
replacing grub after it was removed by an errant aptitude kernel
install. So I suppose we should be asking for the same capabilities
that the debian installer has to be added to update-grub.

--
richard


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Franklin PIAT
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

Hello,

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 21:11 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:53:20AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> > Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo. IIRC, lilo always found the
> > > right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
> > > about, so you always have to add that by hand. Not that I boot 'doze
> > > more often than once a year...
> >
> > The Debian Etch version of the debian-installer will detect ms-windows
> > partitions and automatically add them to the grub menu.lst file. So
> > in theory it shouldn't be necessary to add them by hand anymore.
>
> Ah, that is useful. But only if you are installing from scratch.
>
> More often, one is merely upgrading a kernel, or worse, as in my case,
> replacing grub after it was removed by an errant aptitude kernel
> install. So I suppose we should be asking for the same capabilities
> that the debian installer has to be added to update-grub.

I'm really surprised that _installing_ a kernel actually removed, *and*
*purged* another package.

Do you still have you /var/log/dpkg.log, so I can investigate and file
bug where appropriate ?


Also, I'm surprised you are using 2.6.17, since it wasn't in any stable
release (neither in Sarge or Etch). What release do you use ?


Thanks,

Franklin


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Richard Lyons
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:43:36PM +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 21:11 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:53:20AM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> >
> > > Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > > I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo. IIRC, lilo always found the
> > > > right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
> > > > about, so you always have to add that by hand. Not that I boot 'doze
> > > > more often than once a year...
> > >
> > > The Debian Etch version of the debian-installer will detect ms-windows
> > > partitions and automatically add them to the grub menu.lst file. So
> > > in theory it shouldn't be necessary to add them by hand anymore.
> >
> > Ah, that is useful. But only if you are installing from scratch.
> >
> > More often, one is merely upgrading a kernel, or worse, as in my case,
> > replacing grub after it was removed by an errant aptitude kernel
> > install. So I suppose we should be asking for the same capabilities
> > that the debian installer has to be added to update-grub.
>
> I'm really surprised that _installing_ a kernel actually removed, *and*
> *purged* another package.
>
> Do you still have you /var/log/dpkg.log, so I can investigate and file
> bug where appropriate ?

Ah, yes. I do. Looking at it, maybe it wasn't the
linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 that did it: I had forgotton that I also
installed a motley collection comprising:
linux-headers-2.6.18-5
linux-kbuild-2.6.18
loop-aes-utils
(don't ask me why...) One of them may have done it.
Anyway, it was at that point that I remembered to edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst, and discovered the whole /boot/grub directory had
disappeared. I attach the contents of /var/log/dpkg.log below.
>
> Also, I'm surprised you are using 2.6.17, since it wasn't in any stable
> release (neither in Sarge or Etch). What release do you use ?

I originally intalled etch quite a while back, a few months before it
went stable (at the time I thought it was a matter of days...).
Probably the 2.6.17 dates from then. I have a slow connection via GPRS
here and avoid updates generally, so I have updated ad-hoc what I use
most or think may have changed. I'll get to a friend with real adsl
sometime and do a full update. Though I'll still use the 2.6.17 since
the .18 killed ACPI. Or maybe etch-and-a-half will allow me to try
2.6.24 by then.

HTH

----------------------------------/var/log/dpkg.log---------------
2008-02-14 16:38:35 install linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 <non definita>
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:35 status half-installed linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:38 status unpacked linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:38 status unpacked linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:38 status unpacked linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:38 status half-configured linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 16:38:53 status installed linux-image-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:10 install linux-headers-2.6.18-5 <non definita>
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:10 status half-installed linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:11 install linux-kbuild-2.6.18 <non definita> 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status half-installed linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status unpacked linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status unpacked linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:11 install linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686 <non definita>
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:11 status half-installed linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:12 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:12 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:12 install loop-aes-utils <non definita> 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:12 status half-installed loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 install loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686 <non definita>
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-installed loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 install loop-aes-testsuite <non definita>
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-installed loop-aes-testsuite
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-testsuite 3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-testsuite 3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-configured linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status installed linux-headers-2.6.18-5
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-configured linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status installed linux-kbuild-2.6.18 2.6.18-1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-configured linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status installed linux-headers-2.6.18-5-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-configured loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status installed loop-aes-utils 2.12r-15+b1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status unpacked loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:13 status half-configured loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:14 status installed loop-aes-modules-2.6.18-5-686
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:14 status unpacked loop-aes-testsuite 3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:14 status half-configured loop-aes-testsuite
3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:28:14 status installed loop-aes-testsuite 3.1d-13etch1
2008-02-14 17:43:06 install grub <non definita> 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:06 status half-installed grub 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:07 status unpacked grub 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:07 status unpacked grub 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:07 status unpacked grub 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:07 status half-configured grub 0.97-27
2008-02-14 17:43:07 status installed grub 0.97-27
--------------------------------------------------------end-------
--
richard


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 PM
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

Richard Lyons wrote:
> Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > Do you still have you /var/log/dpkg.log, so I can investigate and file
> > bug where appropriate ?
>
> Ah, yes. I do. Looking at it, maybe it wasn't the
> linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 that did it: I had forgotton that I also
> installed a motley collection comprising:
> linux-headers-2.6.18-5
> linux-kbuild-2.6.18
> loop-aes-utils
> (don't ask me why...) One of them may have done it.

I can't think of any reason grub would be removed. And unfortunately
the logs you included didn't show any information about grub being
removed but only showed it being installed.

It would be very interesting to see the log section showing where grub
was removed. You may need to go back into the /var/log/dpkg.log.*
rotated log files to find that information.

Bob
 
Old 02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Richard Lyons
 
Default 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 05:53:30PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > > Do you still have you /var/log/dpkg.log, so I can investigate and file
> > > bug where appropriate ?
> >
> > Ah, yes. I do. Looking at it, maybe it wasn't the
> > linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 that did it: I had forgotton that I also
> > installed a motley collection comprising:
> > linux-headers-2.6.18-5
> > linux-kbuild-2.6.18
> > loop-aes-utils
> > (don't ask me why...) One of them may have done it.
>
> I can't think of any reason grub would be removed. And unfortunately
> the logs you included didn't show any information about grub being
> removed but only showed it being installed.

Yes, I was disappointed about that too. What I copied was the entirety
of the log. /var/log/dpkg.log.1 finishes a couple of weeks ago when the
computer was last used -- I have been away. It started normally when I
came back. I had closed down and restarted once since my return, again
completely normal operation of grub at startup. I have done nothing
extraordinary in these last few days, certainly nothing that could allow
me to delete /boot/grub in error (and as root!), so I am as sure as I
can be that one of the install scripts listed above must have done it.

But there is no more information in the log than I gave, so whichever
did it was being sneaky.

Hmm, just had a nasty thought: Even on this slow GPRS connection, I
suppose the unthinkable may have happened... It would be an odd choice
of malice, though... and chkrootkit says all clear there.

I am developing a nervous habbit of tapping 'ls /boot'...

Oh dear. Thanks, Bob.

--
richard


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org