-   -   sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/56844-sound-intel-corporation-82801fb-fbm-fr-fw-frw.html)

02-15-2008 10:47 PM

sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

Hi Richard,

I think the correct module is snd_hda_intel, could you try
load it?

And could you sent the output of `cat /dev/sndstatī ?

./nelson -murilo

Clayton 02-16-2008 06:46 AM

sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:42:20 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> I know this has been covered before, but I am just doing a periodical
> check to see if anyone has solved it in the meantime. Many do seem to
> get sound on laptops now, so there is hope...

<snip>

> It would be really nice if someone knows how to make it sing, as I
> am getting tired of telling Doze users that the only reason my
> computer cannot play cds is that I haven't any need to and haven't
> had time to configure it. Actually both statements are untrue :-(

I have several old Thinkpads of Pentium II & III vintage, and have
found with recent kernels that sound (and other things too!!) support
kind of comes and goes. It would seem that kernel developers all have
nice shiny new machines.

To solve most of my sound card headaches I bought a pair of USB
headphones, and a pair of high-quality USB speakers. I have also found
that if I blacklist the module for the internal sound card, when I plug
in a USB sound device it becomes the one and only default sound device,
and almost all software talks to it just fine. (Getting some software
to talk to a USB sound card in the second position is non-trivial....)

Just a thought.

Clayton

Richard Lyons 02-16-2008 12:39 PM

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:47:38PM -0200, Nelson Murilo wrote:

> I think the correct module is snd_hda_intel, could you try
> load it?

That is the default that alsa loads. As it did not work, I tried the
other one (suggested on one list or another for a similar model).

> And could you sent the output of `cat /dev/sndstatī ?

$ cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.11rc4 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux joiner 2.6.17-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 16:34:10 UTC 2006
i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HDA Intel at 0xd000c000 irq 177

Audio devices:
0: ALC882 Analog (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: Realtek ALC883

and, for clarity,

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel 17140 0
snd_hda_codec 126496 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 35968 0
snd_mixer_oss 15872 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 74532 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 20836 1 snd_pcm
snd 48100 6
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9216 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9512 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

--
richard

Richard Lyons 02-16-2008 12:44 PM

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:46:21PM +0800, Clayton wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I have several old Thinkpads of Pentium II & III vintage, and have
> found with recent kernels that sound (and other things too!!) support
> kind of comes and goes. It would seem that kernel developers all have
> nice shiny new machines.

I have a couple of old thinkpads too...

> To solve most of my sound card headaches I bought a pair of USB
> headphones, and a pair of high-quality USB speakers. I have also found
> that if I blacklist the module for the internal sound card, when I plug
> in a USB sound device it becomes the one and only default sound device,
> and almost all software talks to it just fine. (Getting some software
> to talk to a USB sound card in the second position is non-trivial....)

Now that is an interesting idea -- walk round the problem. Thanks for
that thought. What software has problems with this, though?

--
richard

Clayton 02-16-2008 03:11 PM

sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:44:59 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:46:21PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> > To solve most of my sound card headaches I bought a pair of USB
> > headphones, and a pair of high-quality USB speakers. I have also
> > found that if I blacklist the module for the internal sound card,
> > when I plug in a USB sound device it becomes the one and only
> > default sound device, and almost all software talks to it just
> > fine. (Getting some software to talk to a USB sound card in the
> > second position is non-trivial....)
>
> Now that is an interesting idea -- walk round the problem. Thanks for
> that thought. What software has problems with this, though?

With a USB sound card as the only card in default position, I only
have had a smallish problem with mplayer that the packager should have
fixed in the next version of mplayer that comes down the pipe.

With the onboard sound card driver loaded and the USB sound card in the
second position, you have to explicitly tell your sound application to
talk to the second ALSA device instead of the first one. I never did
figure out how to do this with mplayer, and I seem to recall that VLC
might have been an issue as well. Skype, xine and mpg123 were not
problems. In the end it just seems easier to blacklist the internal
card driver unless I want it. (Which, in the case of the crappy speaker
that comes with the Thinkpad X20, is rarely.)

Clayton

<aside>This is one of the things that Windows got right: when you plug
in a USB sound device, it automatically becomes the system default for
sound playback. To me this seems to be logical and desireable behavior,
but is not what happens with Linux.</aside>

Richard Lyons 02-16-2008 04:29 PM

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 12:11:11AM +0800, Clayton wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:44:59 +0100
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:46:21PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > > To solve most of my sound card headaches I bought a pair of USB
> > > headphones, and a pair of high-quality USB speakers. I have also
> > > found that if I blacklist the module for the internal sound card,
> > > when I plug in a USB sound device it becomes the one and only
> > > default sound device, and almost all software talks to it just
> > > fine. (Getting some software to talk to a USB sound card in the
> > > second position is non-trivial....)
> >
> > Now that is an interesting idea -- walk round the problem. Thanks for
> > that thought. What software has problems with this, though?
>
> With a USB sound card as the only card in default position, I only
> have had a smallish problem with mplayer that the packager should have
> fixed in the next version of mplayer that comes down the pipe.
>
> With the onboard sound card driver loaded and the USB sound card in the
> second position, you have to explicitly tell your sound application to
> talk to the second ALSA device instead of the first one. I never did
> figure out how to do this with mplayer, and I seem to recall that VLC
> might have been an issue as well. Skype, xine and mpg123 were not
> problems.
[...]
Thanks for that -- I must investigate the hardware.

> <aside>This is one of the things that Windows got right: when you plug
> in a USB sound device, it automatically becomes the system default for
> sound playback. To me this seems to be logical and desireable behavior,
> but is not what happens with Linux.

I am completely ignorant of how to manage hotplug/udev, but I imagine it
is really easy enough to make a linux box mimic this particular
behaviour -- perhaps someone wiser will tell us how.
</aside>

--
richard