-   -   sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/56838-sound-intel-corporation-82801fb-fbm-fr-fw-frw.html)

Richard Lyons 02-15-2008 09:42 PM

sound with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW

I know this has been covered before, but I am just doing a periodical
check to see if anyone has solved it in the meantime. Many do seem to
get sound on laptops now, so there is hope...

I have an Acer Aspire 1604Z. lspci shows the onboard sound to be

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

I have etch and have now upgraded the kernel to 2.6.18-5-686 as someone
suggested the newer kernel might help. It didn't (in fact, the install
quietly uninstalled grub and deleted /boot/grub/, which made me regret
trying this...) Obviously I have run alsaconf, checked with alsamixer
that nothing seems to be muted, tried 'modprobe snd-intel8x0' and so on.
So far, this laptop is as silent under linux as every other laptop I
ever had.

It would be really nice if someone knows how to make it sing, as I
am getting tired of telling Doze users that the only reason my computer
cannot play cds is that I haven't any need to and haven't had time to
configure it. Actually both statements are untrue :-(

TIA,

--
richard