Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
"Beny Spira"

Default compaq nx6120

Hi there

My compaq nx6120 runs a Debian 4.0r2 and a kernel 2.6.18-6-686.
Most features work nicely, but there are a couple of quite annoying
problems I couldn't find a clear answer:

1) My mouse very often dies and dmesg gives the following message:

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller process error, something bad happened!
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller halted, very bad!
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: HC died; cleaning up
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3

It is interesting that this usually happens when i slightly move the
laptop on the table. Moving the mouse or its cable does not cause it
to hang. I've seen several posts with similar problems, but not a good
solution to it.

2) ACPI isn't working. I can't see the battery details and the
computer does not completely shutdown. It stops at "System is halted"
and hangs.

I would appreciate any help on these matters.
Thanks,
Beny

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
"Gabor Hasenfrasz"

Dear Beny,

I had an nx6325 notebook. ACPI features can be solved in 2 ways. First is very annoying and difficult that to edit the DSDT table.
You can find more at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php

I think it's quite difficult and it's just fades the problems. (Strange that HP was one of the founders of the ACPI and they don't make 100% compatible notebooks for it )
Of course in windows you don't see the problems...

Second solve is to use newer kernel. If i remember good from 2.6.21 it's worked good. So for sure use 2.6.23 kernel and it should be ok .

Brgds,
Gabor

Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Paolo

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:04:13PM +0000, Beny Spira wrote:
> 1) My mouse very often dies and dmesg gives the following message:
>
> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller process error, something bad happened!
> uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: host controller halted, very bad!
> It is interesting that this usually happens when i slightly move the
> laptop on the table. Moving the mouse or its cable does not cause it

hw failure - likely a defective soldering on the motherboard.
Get it serviced/replaced.

--
paolo

GPG/PGP id:0x3A47DE45 - B5F9 AAA0 44BD 2B63 81E0 971F C6C0 0B87 3A47 DE45
- 9/11: the outrageous deception and ongoing coverup: http://911review.org -

Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 PM
"Gabor Hasenfrasz"

Sorry i've forgot to reply for the second part . So about the moving and not working effect it's seems to be hardware failure maybe dropped down somewhere or something. But about battery status i had that problem and kernel upgrade fixed.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:16 AM
"Ji ZhengYu"

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Beny Spira <benys@usp.br> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> My compaq nx6120 runs a Debian 4.0r2 and a kernel 2.6.18-6-686.
> 2) ACPI isn't working. I can't see the battery details and the
> computer does not completely shutdown. It stops at "System is halted"
> and hangs.

Upgrade your kernel to 2.6.24, this will help you. My laptop was too.

With wishes,