-   -   Problems with HDD after upgrade from lenny to squeeze (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/555248-problems-hdd-after-upgrade-lenny-squeeze.html)

Facundo Aguirre 07-21-2011 05:16 PM

Problems with HDD after upgrade from lenny to squeeze

Hi, you can check:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanielHahler/Bug59695
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_hard_drive_clicking
for a fix.

Links taken from a spanish post
(http://www.vicente-navarro.com/blog/2007/10/28/linux-no-mata-discos-duros-se-mueren-solos/)

Hope that helps!

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:01:03PM +0000, James Brown wrote:
> I use Debian AMD64 on my laptop AcerTravel Mate 3040.
> HDD:
> Model Family: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 series
> Device Model: ST9500420AS
> In the beginning ot this year I had the next report of smartctl:
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 089 089 000 Old_age Always
> - 23521
> (after using my HDD about 1,5 year).
> On April 2011 I upgraded my OS from lenny to squeeze.
> Now I have the next report of smartctl:
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 031 031 000 Old_age Always
> - 139954
>
> How I can debug and fix that problem?

Por favor, evita enviarme documentos adjuntos en formato Word o PowerPoint
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html

Petr Gajdůšek 07-21-2011 05:29 PM

Problems with HDD after upgrade from lenny to squeeze

I use Debian AMD64 on my laptop AcerTravel Mate 3040.
HDD:
Model Family: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 series
Device Model: ST9500420AS
In the beginning ot this year I had the next report of smartctl:
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 089 089 000 Old_age Always
- 23521
(after using my HDD about 1,5 year).
On April 2011 I upgraded my OS from lenny to squeeze.
Now I have the next report of smartctl:
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 031 031 000 Old_age Always
- 139954

How I can debug and fix that problem?

Hi,

you can try to change APM for better performance or disable it entirely
for that disk.

See "hdparm -B /dev/sda" output for the current level and try to raise
it to 254 (best preformance) or 255 (disabled), i.e. "hdparm -B 255
/dev/sda". This should prevent the disk from heads unloading (parking).

If this will help, make this setting permanent:

1) Edit /etc/default/hdparm like this:
harddisks="/dev/sda"
hdparm_opts="-B 255"
and make sure /etc/init.d/hdparm is run during boot.

2) Create /etc/pm/sleep.d/01_hdparm file with:
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

if [ ! -x /sbin/hdparm ]; then
exit 0
fi

case "${1}" in
resume|thaw)
service hdparm restart
# nothing
;;
esac

So you will not lost the setting after going from sleep/hibernation if
you are using pm-utils for suspending.

Petr Gajdůšek

Paulo Diovani 07-21-2011 10:24 PM

Problems with HDD after upgrade from lenny to squeeze

I suggest to always installs new kernel before upgrade.
Half problems when upgrading Debian are due to new kernel compatibillity with old hardware, or due to some bug on kernel version.
--

Paulo Diovani,

diovani.com*/ @paulodiovani /*♣

jnjb 07-21-2011 11:09 PM

Problems with HDD after upgrade from lenny to squeeze

I suggest to always installs new kernel before upgrade.

Half problems when upgrading Debian are due to new kernel compatibillity
with old hardware, or due to some bug on kernel version.

--
Paulo Diovani,
diovani.com <http://diovani.com/> / @paulodiovani
<http://twitter.com/paulodiovani> / ♣ <http://entbonsai.com>

the kernel isn't the biggest problem but Xorg did

think you want upgrade your system and have strange things or burn a
disk or a usb key and have an all clean system ?