FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Laptop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
 
Default Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

Hi Martin-

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me _how_ to "try exactly 3.0.0 from the debian package"? If I
donwload the source for 3.0.3 (the most recent stable kernel on
kernel.org) I will then need to build a .config file- and obviously my
attempts so far have been wrong. I'm new to Linux, and guessing at the
thousands of configuration lines in make menuconfig isn't working for
me...

The most recent debian distribution only uses 2.6.39 (or so), so I am not
sure how you mean to try 3.0.0 from "the debian package".

Can you explain further? Is there some way to get a 3.0.0 kernel with
"default" or generic .config file that will work with debian on my T520?

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

> Am Dienstag, 16. August 2011 schrieb keitho@strucktower.com:
>> In response to a previous thread:
>>
>> Dr. Mobius, Bill Brelsford, et all:
>>
>> Did anyone find a solution or even a cause for this "static display"
>> problem upon resume from suspend?
>>
>> I see that Martin Steigerwald claims that upgrading to 3.0 solves the
>> problem, but it hasn't solved the problem for me- I am running
>> 3.1.0-rc1 with all upgraded packages on my Thinkpad T520 and the
>> problem persists. In looking around on the Internet I see that others
>> have the same problem, and _sometimes_ upgrading mysteriously helps,
>> but no one seems to know a definitive answer.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>
> Please try exactly 3.0.0 from the debian package. This is what I am using
> with Debian Sid.
>
> Might well be that 3.1.0-rc1 has some bug. Its a rc1.
>
> I am using KDE 4.6.5 with Powerdevil via pm-utils hibernation or suspend
> to ram and both work out of the box.
>
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201108251842.33284.Martin@lichtvoll.de
>
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 73fe85680653cedf22ed13b37cd4f62e.squirrel@webmail. strucktower.com">http://lists.debian.org/73fe85680653cedf22ed13b37cd4f62e.squirrel@webmail. strucktower.com
 
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011 schrieb keitho@strucktower.com:
> Hi Martin-

Hi Keith,

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Can you tell me _how_ to "try exactly 3.0.0 from the debian package"?
> If I donwload the source for 3.0.3 (the most recent stable kernel on
> kernel.org) I will then need to build a .config file- and obviously my
> attempts so far have been wrong. I'm new to Linux, and guessing at the
> thousands of configuration lines in make menuconfig isn't working for
> me...
>
> The most recent debian distribution only uses 2.6.39 (or so), so I am
> not sure how you mean to try 3.0.0 from "the debian package".
>
> Can you explain further? Is there some way to get a 3.0.0 kernel with
> "default" or generic .config file that will work with debian on my
> T520?

Get linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 3.0.0-2 from Debian Sid. No need to build a
kernel, just use the binary package.

Thanks,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108260002.51057.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201108260002.51057.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Default Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

Hi Martin-

Thanks once again, I really appreciate your help.

I downloaded the linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 deb file from Debian Sid as you
suggested, but when I tried to install it I got this error message from
the package instaler:

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: linux-base (<=3~)"

Hmm... I thought at first that referred to the fact that I had booted into
my 3.1.0-rc1 kernel, but I also tried it after booting into my old
2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel and still I get the same error message.

Can you explain how to work around this?

When I search inside Synaptic for linux-base I only see the one that's
installed- 2.6.32-35, even though I am running the 3.1.0-rc1 kernel... so
I am confused. Do I need to add a new/different repository to my
sources.list file in order to install a later version?

Thanks so much,

Keith Ostertag

> Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011 schrieb keitho@strucktower.com:
>> Hi Martin-
>
> Hi Keith,
>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Can you tell me _how_ to "try exactly 3.0.0 from the debian package"?
>> If I donwload the source for 3.0.3 (the most recent stable kernel on
>> kernel.org) I will then need to build a .config file- and obviously my
>> attempts so far have been wrong. I'm new to Linux, and guessing at the
>> thousands of configuration lines in make menuconfig isn't working for
>> me...
>>
>> The most recent debian distribution only uses 2.6.39 (or so), so I am
>> not sure how you mean to try 3.0.0 from "the debian package".
>>
>> Can you explain further? Is there some way to get a 3.0.0 kernel with
>> "default" or generic .config file that will work with debian on my
>> T520?
>
> Get linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 3.0.0-2 from Debian Sid. No need to build a
> kernel, just use the binary package.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 3f1d69766ce98b9d8ce4a9d2d0579100.squirrel@webmail. strucktower.com">http://lists.debian.org/3f1d69766ce98b9d8ce4a9d2d0579100.squirrel@webmail. strucktower.com
 
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

Hi Keith!

Please use proper quoting. Thanks. TOFU repaired.

Am Freitag, 26. August 2011 schrieb keitho@strucktower.com:
> > Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011 schrieb keitho@strucktower.com:
> >> Hi Martin-
> >
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> >> Thanks for your reply.
> >>
> >> Can you tell me _how_ to "try exactly 3.0.0 from the debian
> >> package"? If I donwload the source for 3.0.3 (the most recent
> >> stable kernel on kernel.org) I will then need to build a .config
> >> file- and obviously my attempts so far have been wrong. I'm new to
> >> Linux, and guessing at the thousands of configuration lines in make
> >> menuconfig isn't working for me...
> >>
> >> The most recent debian distribution only uses 2.6.39 (or so), so I
> >> am not sure how you mean to try 3.0.0 from "the debian package".
> >>
> >> Can you explain further? Is there some way to get a 3.0.0 kernel
> >> with "default" or generic .config file that will work with debian
> >> on my T520?
> >
> > Get linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 3.0.0-2 from Debian Sid. No need to
> > build a kernel, just use the binary package.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> > GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
>
> Hi Martin-
>
> Thanks once again, I really appreciate your help.
>
> I downloaded the linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 deb file from Debian Sid as
> you suggested, but when I tried to install it I got this error message
> from the package instaler:
>
> "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: linux-base (<=3~)
>
> Hmm... I thought at first that referred to the fact that I had booted
> into my 3.1.0-rc1 kernel, but I also tried it after booting into my
> old 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel and still I get the same error message.

No, this is related some to a package dependency.

> Can you explain how to work around this?

I bet you need linux-base 3.3 from unstable as well.

> When I search inside Synaptic for linux-base I only see the one that's
> installed- 2.6.32-35, even though I am running the 3.1.0-rc1 kernel...
> so I am confused. Do I need to add a new/different repository to my
> sources.list file in order to install a later version?

You could do something like this:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main non-free contrib

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib

and then in /etc/apt/preferences to avoid updating everything to Sid:

Explanation: lower priority than stable (500), 26.8.2011
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 400


BTW when you used 2.6.32 before, are you using Squeeze completely? Then I
suggest upgrading to Wheezy. Squeeze is not recent enough for Sandybridge.
So some of your problems might just be related to using Squeeze. I just
run everything at Sid at the moment and it works marvellous. A bit more
conservative approach would be using Wheezy which should be recent enough
by now. At least 3.0 kernel already made it to Wheezy:

martin@merkaba:~> rmadison linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64
linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 | 3.0.0-1 | wheezy | amd64, i386
linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 | 3.0.0-2 | sid | amd64, i386

Thanks,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108261517.18848.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201108261517.18848.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Edward Morbius
 
Default Lenovo T520i X11 Intel i810 "static display" issue

Keith: not sure if you're still seeing this issue, but it's been
resolved for me with a recent testing/sid update. I'll have to check
my laptop to see just which 3.0 kernel and xorgs packages I'm using,
but all my video freeze/static issues (playback of video reduced view,
full-screen view, toggling between X11 and console,
suspend/hibernate/restore, and logging off/on to X11 sessions), are
resolved.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:25 AM, <keitho@strucktower.com> wrote:
> In response to a previous thread:
>
> Dr. Mobius, Bill Brelsford, et all:
>
> Did anyone find a solution or even a cause for this "static display"
> problem upon resume from suspend?
>
> I see that Martin Steigerwald claims that upgrading to 3.0 solves the
> problem, but it hasn't solved the problem for me- I am running 3.1.0-rc1
> with all upgraded packages on my Thinkpad T520 and the problem persists.
> In looking around on the Internet I see that others have the same problem,
> and _sometimes_ upgrading mysteriously helps, but no one seems to know a
> definitive answer.
>
> I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
>
>> The symptoms are that the display doesn't update -- while it's
>> viewable. There's no visible response to keyboard or mouse inputs.
>> *The pointer itself /does/ move around the display, but windows
>> don't take focus, won't resize or move, etc.
>>
>> However if I toggle away (<shift><alt><F1-6>) then back to
>> (<alt><F7> or <alt><F8>) the display -- the changes /are/
>> reflected. *I've taken advantage of this to shut down windows/apps
>> cleanly.
>>
>> If i restart X ("sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop; sudo /etc/init.d/kdm
>> start" from another virtual console), X works properly, usually.
>>
>> I've noticed this under several desktops / window managers (GNOME,
>> KDE, XFCE, twm, wmaker). *It doesn't appear to be specific to the
>> window manager.
>>
>> Restarting the window manager doesn't clear the behavior.
>
> keitho@strucktower.com
>
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/36d029c41e067f681f2d240ff06db85a.squirrel@webmail. strucktower.com
>
>



--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Philologist / Robot Wrangler / Powerplant Operator
Krell Power Systems Unlimited


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CALUzhnx_L52ppofXpmnXEZXh+x_szgFSy-y9gJh4wwPDiVxwww@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CALUzhnx_L52ppofXpmnXEZXh+x_szgFSy-y9gJh4wwPDiVxwww@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org